Thread: 300 vs 338 Again!

Default 300 vs 338 Again!

For most of my hunting I would like to use just 1 rifle. I have shot everything from a 270 to a 416 and use to favor the 375 H&H. But on a few Canadian moose hunts, other hunters killed their moose using 30-06s just as good as I did with a 375! I concluded that modern bullets evened-up the playing field. On one hunt I shot a worked-up moose 5 times with my 375 using 300 Noslers at only 40 yards. Every shot was in the right spot and my guide hit him a few times more with his 06! That moose convinced me that the 375 is not really a stopping rifle and I might as well be hunting with a lesser caliber. So I got a 300 Win mag and shot my next moose at 400 yards with a 180 Failsafe... after about 3 minutes, very dead moose! So I guess a 300 Win Mag will let me do at 400 yards what I can do with a 30-06 at 300?

I once shot an Elk with a 338 Win Mag at about 175 yards and was very impressed! The 338 seems to hit hard.

So I'm now looking for a new do everything gun and have decided to stick with traditional rounds, the 300 or 338 Win Mags. So is the 338 really better? Does it hit harder with factory ammo out to 400 yards? Forget the science, what happens in the field? You Alaskan hunters should be able to answer this right away. If you had to pick just one rifle for all your hunting, which would it be, the 300 or 338, and why?

If I were facing an angry animal I think I would be more comfortable with a 338? But generally I would prefer to shoot a 300. On the other hand the way hunting is today, if a 338 hits harder, that would be my choice. I do not believe one can be over-gunned while hunting alone in the wilds. I am favoring the 338, but still must wonder if a 180 Failsafe from a 300 kills just as good? For bear hunting I think I would favor a 416! So for hunting everything in North America with modern bullets, which performs better in the field- the 300 or 338?

Thanks, CC.

Default Search!!

Dear God please make the madness stop!!!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=70526

This has to be the most debated question since "does a bear **** in the woods"?

Sorry for the short comments but a search will take you through tons of these debates on how dead is a dead moose.

Drew

BTW how much do you want for that useless 375 you have?
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I have them both plus....there underlings the aught six and the .338-06...they both work. select a good bullet and hit em....2700fps is 2700fps

I did not know that moose were killed by anything other than a .375H&H? I did ot know I could kill them with soething other than my .375. Makes me wonder why I have wasted my money on all these other calibers I have when one ctgs works?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Just get a .300 Wby. Mag and be done with it.
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN

Default my expierence

When I was a tennager I got 243. I took a few deer with it. One day I was about 19 hunting along with ny 243 and And in a brushpile in the woods a bear started woofing at me and stomping I never saw it. I traded that in for a new 300 ruger soon after. I didnt like it so I got the same gun 338 and didnt like either. Traded the 338 for a new 450 marlin gg and put 4x on it. I used it soley for about 5 years for deer hunting admiralty And killed many deer with it. Then about 4 years I went back to another new 300 ruger and put a timney on it now I like it. It shoots 1 1/4 at200yrds with 200grain barnes. I picked up A new 375 ruger alaskan when they first came out and put a 1-5 power on it. I will never look back. It doesnt blow up a deer any worse than 300 or 7mm does. I really dig the 20 inch barrel because im mostly hunting deer in browny infested woods. That what I liked About the GUIDE gun too. But I ruined my bbl with a bad handload. For me the recoil on the 375 ruger isnt as nasty as the .300. And that even with 270 grn trple shock handloads. But I didnt make them hot. I just tried to stay factory fps range so it didnt start kicking me. The factory ammo from hornady is also very top quality and accurate. But expensive if you shoot. Much happier now reloading. about 30 40 percent cheaper depend on the bullet and powder price.

You say:
    I do not believe one can be over-gunned while hunting alone in the wilds.
    So why give up on the .375?

I'm curious. What is "just the right spot"?

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    I have them both plus....there underlings the aught six and the .338-06...they both work. select a good bullet and hit em....2700fps is 2700fps
    And 2,700 fps in a 260gr bullet is even better:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=150334

And a 270gr bullet @ 2,800 fps could even be better: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=518342

This is common sense, despite how "not really a stopping rifle" the .375 may seem to the OP due to his strange experience.

I have only taken one moose with a 375 H&H and he took two steps and fell over on his chin. Shot his heart out with 260 grain partition.

It would be a short list of moose that drop at the first shot. A well placed shot will kill him but it takes a while. Mostly folks shoot for the enormous lung cavity. That's a killer shot, but it takes time. If you break a shoulder joint he won't go far, may just stop, but you'll loose some meat. I've watched moose taken with 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen, 338 mag and 300 RUM and other 375 H&H's. For a lung shot with all calibers the 300 RUM won hands down. (180 grain TSX) I don't believe a 300 Win mag is a better moose rifle than the 475 H&H or the 338 Win mag.

If a moose charged you like a cape buffalo, I think the history books might record the event but not because you stopped him with one shot. There is a lot of moose up front for a bullet to get through.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks for your Alaskan opinions

There is nothing silly talking about picking an adequate hunting round. I have done some hunting, including Africa and value the opinions of Alaskan hunters with real field experience. I'm wondering if modern bullets have changed things regarding killing power? As mentioned before on several Canadian moose hunts I saw little difference in killing power between a 30-06 using modern bullets and a 375. In Africa a fellow with an Ultralight 308 Winchester killed everything I did with my 375. In Africa, Canada and NW Territories my guides all carried a 30-06 and snickered at my 375. In Alaska my outfitter carried a 338 WM. I have the least experience hunting with an 06, but often wonder if that is all one really needs today? I have a very handy and utilitarian Blue/composite Savage 30-06. It is an ugly gun with 4X Leupold, but I have tuned it up and like it! My friends hunt Elk with 30-06s and say with lung shots, elk run some 50 to 75 yards. That's pretty good, but we have lots of brush to look for them after the shot!

So my thinking is for an all-around gun 30-06 is my minimum and 375 H&H max. I have owned some semi-customized lightweight Remington 375s that shot great. I just never thought of 375 as a 400 yard gun? Neither the 06. Not that I shoot 400 yards often, but have done so successfully in the past off-hand on last days of hunts. 400 yards is my personal limit on Big Game and I would always perfer to stalk closer. Yet I want a 400 yard rifle and feel a 300 or 338 mag would be better suited? I had 2 Rem 300 Ultra mags and love the round! But they reminded me of sniping guns with 26 inch barrels. I somtimes even feel 24 inch barrels are too long for all-around hunting? I recently bought a used Browning A-Bolt Hunter in 300 WSM- a magnum with 22 in factory barrel! My thinking was handy rifle with some mag reach! But it is not stainless and ammo a bit more exotic. That goes for the 325 WSM round too. With the way things are theese days is why I'm looking at more easily available standard cartirdges.

I know with shot placement a 300 Win mag would do. But a 300 really does not offer that much more than a hot loaded 06? That is why I'm leaning towards a stainless 338 WM, thinking the round might give me an advantage on elk and moose? Along with a sense of security in the field? I'm looking at the Tikka Stainless, Kimber Montana 8400 and Remington KS stainless. I prefer lighter utilitarian guns and usually alter everything I buy. I'll take a look at the 375 Ruger for closer shots. I must admit, I have gun-itis and love rifles too much. CC.

I once read of an experiment on the (killing) power of different calibers on elk. They used two model 70s, to kill a few dozen elk, half with one, half with the other. One was in 30-06, shooting (I think) 220gr silver tips, the other a 375, shooting 300gr silver tips.
    They concluded the 375 was the better killer, but only by a very small margin.

If you shoot a 375 already, I can't think of any reason to change. A 300gr partition can kill anything on this continent. Just because a large animal dose not go strait down after the first shot, dose not mean they aren't already dead.

If I had to use one rifle for Alaskan big game, I would go with the 338 winchester hands down. Go with a 250gr partition and don't look back.
    I think this new generation of super bullets are over rated.

I once read that after skinning a large animal (don't remember if elk or moose) these two guys found the partition that the one guy used, under the hide on the off side of the animal. The other guy made the comment, it would have been better if the bullet had exited the off side to leave a better blood trail. . . . . . . .Just how dead dose an animal need to be?

Soon they will develop a bullet that, when you shoot an animal, it skins, guts, quarters, and packages the meat, before the animal hits the ground. It will probably be loaded in .223 rem. for starters.

So for hunting everything in North America with modern bullets, which performs better in the field- the 300 or 338?
    I wouldn't care 2 cents which one I used. I care a LOT about how a rifle is laid out. Whichever was laid out better for my needs and tastes, that's the one I would pick. Without regard for the size hole in the bore. I certainly wouldn't sell one to get the other. I've already got two 375's, and I'd have to think long and hard before I'd buy either one in addition.

New shooter and first rifle? I'd go 300 in a heartbeat. Second gun in addition to the 300? That's where it gets hard. In my experience the 338 just isn't that much different to justify having it along with a 300. Probably jump straight to the 375.

If I already owned a 338 and wanted something more? I'd skip 375 and go right to one of the 416's. And with the 338 in hand, I'd probably skip the 300 in going smaller, maybe something in the .277 or .284 realm. If I'm restricted to a few calibers I want a bigger jump between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Holder View Post
    Soon they will develop a bullet that, when you shoot an animal, it skins, guts, quarters, and packages the meat, before the animal hits the ground. It will probably be loaded in .223 rem. for starters.
    I would buy those bullets as fast as they make em!!
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams