Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter problems?

Default Winter problems?

Ok, how many of you this spring went to work on your boat and found problems...

-Last night I was adding grease and one of the nipples went bad on me.
    -Wash down pump not working.
    - Lower gear unit fluid looked kinda milky but not real bad.

All in all I took it to Deweys
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Took it to a shop for that???? That's one easy evening in the driveway with a couple of beers.

I still haven't pulled the tarp off of mine yet

I've been needing to replace the left fender on the trailer, while clearing ice off of the house I pretty much removed all that was left of it.

Other then that I've been keeping the batteries charged and can't wait to pull it into the driveway, fire up the engine and give it a once over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Took it to a shop for that???? That's one easy evening in the driveway with a couple of beers.
    Its even an easier evening knowing Deweys is handling it while AlaskaGray
    relaxes w/ a couple beers

Default Even worse...

is having to wait to go to AK where your boat wintered over all by its lonesome, you're ready to head out because you did all the maintenance before you put it to sleep for the winter, and there is a problem...

You guys that live by your boats got it made, if I did that it would give me something to do during the long, forever winter!

Say, there is no such thing as a little problem when your lower unit grease is milky, it's bad news if there is any water in there to milk it up, can only get worse, better have the seals checked while Dewey's checks it out and AK Gray drinks the beer for you

Gary likes to drive them,He don,t like to work on them. Also he,s Rich, Does the same on his Bow,s too.

[QUOTE=Cap'n Ron;724743]
    You guys that live by your boats got it made, if I did that it would give me something to do during the long, forever winter!]

Cap'n Ron, I'd rather catch steelhead on the Clearwater than look out the window at my frozen boat wondering if I should shovel it or not
    Last edited by fullbush; 04-29-2010 at 19:49. Reason: I still can't get how to do a partial quote

Default Well, yeah....

and now there's 80K or so kings headed to the Snake and Clearwater to give us something to do while your snow melts up there...wait, it snowed here the last two nights! Ok, it melted, but

Our kings (called Springers or Chinooks here...) average about 15 lbs some over 20, about like the feeders up there, so kinda small but some of them migrate over 650 miles by the time they go from the Columbia to the Snake to the headwaters of the Salmon, that's pretty amazing.

OK, what was this thread about...oh, yeah, milky lower unit lube!

I just hate it when a nipple goes bad on a guy....................

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Ok, how many of you this spring went to work on your boat and found problems...

-Last night I was adding grease and one of the nipples went bad on me.
    -Wash down pump not working.
    - Lower gear unit fluid looked kinda milky but not real bad.

All in all I took it to Deweys
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Hauled the Osprey back from Seward today

Driveway is not long enough so it is hooked up to the truck on the street. Jumping the gun just a bit, the muni says it is ok to have it on a subdivision street from 12:00 noon Friday to 12:00 noon Monday. Tomorrow will be washing and waxing as well as putting everything back in the boat. Saturday will be putting in a new widlass, test running both main and kicker, probably change out fuel filters and making sure the engine will engage with the lower unit, usually a little crosion to deal with. Cahnged oil, drained manafolds and checked lower unit last fall.

By the way talked with Jerry from SHIP, he has sold the business but the good news is that he will still fix Volvo Penta stuff, as always, he did buy a place in Hawaii but loves Seward and will continue to work on boats. He only wants to get away in the winter .... snowbird ....

If a seal Is blown on my lower unit, that is not an easy fix for me.
    I lime doin the work myself, but something g like that I wl pass and just pay someone.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

i had a battery freeze and break the case. new battery put in an hour ago and boat running good......in the yard . starter sounded odd thou
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I almost always have some heartburn with the lights. Usually a connection or a ground, but had to replace a light this year and a marker last year. Getting close to rewiring with LEDs.

Had a washdown go bad last year, easy fix. In the driveway. With a beer!

Default Alaskan Gray blew a seal????

Uhhh ewwww.

I tarped mine this year, and left a flap loose so I could crawl in it, fire up the Mr Buddy (after strapping those handwarmer things to the bottle to keep it from freezing) and did most the work over the winter. New fuel flow meter, cleaned the cuddy, rewired a bunch or tied it up right, updated the software in the gps, topped the charge in the batteries (every month) etc. Only thing I had to do when it thawed was put the new scuppers on and wash that sucker.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Washdown pump; Take it apart, the magnet with the wire attached to it can rot off and the whole thing might be full of salt, happened to me.

Remove the grease zerk with a wrench and soak it in a little dish of WD-40, or good luck finding the exact one to replace it. The universal zerk kit you get at the auto parts store has many different sizes, but I haven't found any that fit what I needed -Murphy's law.

As for spring wake up call; One year both manifolds were cracked!

I always try to change my lower unit gear oil and check my trailer bearings in the fall because if you have any water in either you don't want it sitting in there all winter.

I didn't do it one fall and had a small amount of water sitting in one of by trailer bearings all winter. I was pretty rusty by spring and had to change it out. It's just as easy to do it in the fall, unless you wait too long and the snow flies first.

I waited to long. I wanted to run out in Dec for deer. But that never happened and it got to cold to be out there working on the boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Lots of maintenance

Clean 4 Feet of Snow off of Boat and install MSR heater on Starboard engine and put boat in the Slip in Valdez 1st weekend of April, 2nd weekend replaced all Zinks and check Props (thought I had a bent one) 4th Weekend in April Engine Bay Halon Fire Bottle leaked out. Not cheap. Cut out 3 owners worth of wiring that is no longer used (2 30 Gal trash bags of old wiring from old electronics). Re Teak Oil all the wood, New Carpet, Replace the Garmin Transduce, and all the Zinks. And to top the weekend off with a trip out to jacks and sawmill for an overnight to check out all the systems with the bonus of catching 3 halibut. Part of owning a boat is the surprises is hands you every season. Bust Out Another Thousand is what BOAT stands for. But I wouldnt trade if for a weekend of Honey Do's.

350SD

Hmmm, You guys have me nervous mine has been sitting for 2 years and I got to get it up and running when I get back. I better boost the boat fund a bit since I am sure it will not be cheap!!

Default Hey LuJon

There are these nasty little gremlins that are hard at work when you think that all is well .... because the boat worked good last time out ...

I found a macerator pump for my fish boxes that hat been discoinnected by freeze up ... funny when I took the boat home to outfit for the summer no ice or water in the fish boxes, had to be a reason. One battery (out of three) was not connected because of corrosion. Lot's of loose screws and fasteners, go over everything.

Time and exposure to the elements is the enemy, on a positive note both the main and kicker fired right up and sounded ready to go, almost ready to do battle with the north Pacific.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast