Thread: Boating across the Inlet from Anchorage

Default Boating across the Inlet from Anchorage

Hello,
    I am getting a new 17' inflatable with 40 hp prop Honda. I was told you can get across the Inlet from Anchorage in that boat, was also told good boating and fishing on little Sue and also dip netting in fish creek.
    Any info on these items would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I know there was a long thread about boating upper cook inlet on this forum a year or so back, but I don't recall if it was in the boating forum or fishing forum.

First note, with all the boats in Ancortown, you'd figure if the boating and fishing were that great in upper cook inlet, you'd see it full of boats, vs. people spending hours and $'s heading South.

I wouldn't waste the gas to drive or boat to fish creek, it just isn't worth it. For fishing the little su, you are better off driving over and launching on the other side.

The upper cook inlet is braided with mud flats, so just realize there is a good possibility you'll get stuck on the way over or on the way back, and have something to keep yourself entertained, warm and fed.

Default Dipnetting

on fish creek isn't always open, it is a EO IIRC
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Do a search about crossing the inlet. I did it for years. It beats the heck out of driving as long as the weather's good. But you schedule your entry and exit times carefully around the tides. Sometimes the weather's not so nice 12 hours later, too.

+1 to what Pid said.Also learn to watch the Flag,s up top of the Cook inlet Hotel. And stay a ways off shore tel you get there, then cut in. Also carry couple flat boards with, in case you do have to deal with that Mud. you won,t get your feet stuck in it.

Like most places, fishing lower Little Su was a lot better 30 years ago. It also used to be a lot clearer. Now when the silvers are running there are so many boaters upstream that the water stays pretty muddy down there.

An inflatable is a wet ride when it's choppy, and it's choppy quite often.

Finding the mouth of the river is not easy when the tide is high, but impossible to get into if the tide is out. Best time is to hit the mouth about an hour or so before the top of the tide. That way if you get stuck the rising water might still lift you off. Also don't try this the first time on a very high tide, 30'+. It's a lot easier on smaller tides. Once you get a few miles into the river it becomes a lot more obvious where to go.

And have a plan to spend an extra day or two if the weather prohibits coming home when you want. Also carry extra fuel in case you have to turn around and head back up river to get out of the weather. Another bad weather exit option is to head upstream to Burma Road, but if the water is low that might not work depending on how much water your boat drafts.

Do you know what the launch fees/ parking fees are at the Anchorage boat launch? I have an 18 foot outboard jet boat that I am thinking about taking across the inlet to Little Su on nice weather days.

Default 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Do you know what the launch fees/ parking fees are at the Anchorage boat launch? I have an 18 foot outboard jet boat that I am thinking about taking across the inlet to Little Su on nice weather days.
    It was $5.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Is the ramp down town open yet?

Default wet?

My zodiac isn't a wet ride unless it is raining....the rubber bumper around the side of mine shoots almost all of the water right back down - it is cupped to do this.

If you get a hankering to go over I will go with you - shoot me a PM with some notice - 2 boats are better than one, especially if the boat is as old as mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My zodiac isn't a wet ride unless it is raining....the rubber bumper around the side of mine shoots almost all of the water right back down - it is cupped to do this.

If you get a hankering to go over I will go with you - shoot me a PM with some notice - 2 boats are better than one, especially if the boat is as old as mine.....

I`d like to do this sometime as well. Are you running a prop or jet? I have both but will need to change the sleeve and impeller as they look fairly worn and know nothing about them.

Go the other way the first time. Launch at Burma, head for the inlet at high tide with your GPS, and turn around and go back. That's what I did when I lived in Anchorage, and it pretty much took all the mystery and most of the adventure out of all it. If the fishing is hot you will find people going back to Anchorage around high tide that you can follow (that's what I did). Just a suggestion.

Thank you for the information.
    I am running a prop. I will do that Bullelkklr. You do the same. I would like to say I have my boat now but it looks like Jim at Alaska Series is about 1 1/2 months behind. I was set to get the boat mid april and now will be lucky if it shows up by the end of the month. Not happy!

Finally going to do this. I am going to attempt crossing at low tide and track my route in on GPS then I should be good to go the rest of the trips.

I am going to put in around 3pm tomorrow (low is at 3:18pm). Shoot me a PM if anyone else is heading over.

Interesting plan. One time I came back about 10 minutes after the tide went out too far to use the ramp and spent 4 hours in the mud waiting for the tide to come back in. Getting out of the little su at low is no picnic. Getting in would be worse.

Ya - I see that. Will have to pick something closer to high for ship departure...it sounded real good at first - IF I could get in with a low then surely I would not get stuck in meadium to high.

The high swing will make it interesting this week also I am sure. I might have to wait for the weekend and have the wife drop me off on the little su and float it down to the mouth then back over....

What level can you put a boat in at ship??

i am going to go look at it and see for myself now....it is an hour after a negative low - should be able to see it.

I have read all of the search on "cook inlet" regarding the crossing and see that you have done this a few times....I am not trying to do this blindly - sometimes the best experience is self taught but I don't care to sit a tide stuck in the mud either.

I am just going over to look at it. Hope to chase a duck or maybe a moose....

Did'ja make it?

Yep. Everything went off without a hitch. I did have one excitable moment though...the fuel line came off the motor and I did not realize it - while on the way back. We were scooting out the river towards the mouth and it bogged and killed...the river was running upstream hard. Started to deploy anchor, pulled the cover, while wondering how the heck I was going to get back to town...and saw the line...Whew...

Near the mouth we pulled up next to some younger fellows that were having engine issues. I asked if there was anything I could do to help and they said that they had a plane coming with another motor.

Total tally for the weekend cou - 1 grouse. found some moose trails, scrapes, and some old scat piles. Not much for ducks flying around over there.

I think that the fellows with the deep V, covered cabin, and the 15 foot step ladder have the river pretty well locked up! They can see right over the bank into the marshes even on a medium to low tide!....