Thread: Ideas for the weekend

Default Ideas for the weekend

Just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a weekend trip. Kenai is too far for a weekend trip (in Fairbanks) and is closed. I don't want to go any further than the parks streams. We looked at having mayhays haul a drift boat up the talkeetna but they said their launch is still iced over.

Any ideas?

Default Denali Highway loop

You could drive the Denali Highway loop from Fairbanks. There are some creeks opening up, and I found a place to drop a fly a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to find a lot more this weekend. Temps have been in the 60's, road is in great shape. Lakes were generally still frozen, but some open spots should have appeared by now. Tangle lakes should have an opening near where the creek dumps in, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

You could also have a chance at some good sightseeing, bear hunting if your so inclined, and finding some sheds around.

Just a thought. Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    fished saturday at Montana and got or saw nothing. Walked way down past the bank bend where people line up to fish kings. Fished all the little outlets. Started walking acorss the snow over to the Sue, but it was far and I was headed to willow next. I don't think any fish can make it up Montana yet. From what it looked like the access from the Sue to Montana was still pretty blocked off, crystal clear water though and an awesome day for a hike! Fished Willow with no luck either, saw only 4 other people. No one had caught anything. Few more weeks!

From the park streams in april

Yeah, I saw that report for the parks. Kinda hoping it has gotten better in the past week.

Default Possibly

Im sure with the warmer weather more stuff has opened up. The small run off that was leading towards the mouth of montana was only about 5 ft wde and 10-18 inches deep at most. Like I said I walked a ways out there just didn't want to walk all the way. Willow might be a good bet for the weekend. I will most likely be out on sunday or at the mouth of sheep, feel free to say hello if I'm out and about! Good luck

Default First BOW of the year

First Bow of the year along one of the Parks Streams.. Fishing was OK, but water is getting dirtier and dirtier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where were you at? I walked all over the weekend before and saw not even a hint of fish! Thats a nice bow too.

My buddy caught a 17 inch bow upstream of the mouth of Willow this weekend on a green and white dolly lama. We also tried Montana and the Little Su without any other luck. Everything is looking off color though.

Yeah, water conditions may be marginal until some of this rapid melt off quits, not to mention some of the rain that we got last week. Its looking like it may get better towards the end of the week though..