Thread: Suggestions for Next Forum Ride????

Question Suggestions for Next Forum Ride????

Any suggestions for the next forum ride? Date, Place

Why not someplace a little more centrally located for the folks in the interior!

Default Cantwell?

I've never ridden there, but I hear around the Igloo there is some fantastic riding. Petersville is always a good choice and I bet Lost lake is drowning in snow this year (a little far south for you MCAT).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Ride

The 1/07 ride looked like a blast! I wish I could have made it. Cantwell would be fun. Its a long drive either way though. I would be down with going to Cantwell and staying the night. I would assume there's great riding around the Igloo/Cantwell area.

President's Day is the next three day weekend I believe. I would love to go and bring my older boy (14) along; maybe stay at the lodge in Cantwell. Love to meet some people off the forum too.

Tim

Red face Petersville, Willow

Petersville and Willow would be other options to ride too. It may be a bit far for our Interior brethren though. There's a fells that posts the conditions in Willow frequently and it sounds like good riding there. I haven't ever ridden Peterville either.

Tim

Sounds like we have 3 or 4 suggestions, Cantwell, Petersville , Willow and Lost Lake. My thoughts;;;; Petersville is great riding but It's real easy to get turned around if you lose the group, Willow is ok but a little uneventful. Cantwell is a long Round trip if its only a day trip. I would vote for Lost Lake, only because I haven't been there before!!!!! For those of you that have been to Lost Lake, is it a place most riders could make without to much difficulty?

Thumbs up Lost Lake

There are two main trails to get up to the lake. One is the Primrose trail (Seward side of Kenai lake) which I have sworn to never ride again! 6 1/2 miles of 3' whoops to the lake and most of the trail is only 1 sled wide.

The other option is from Snug harbor (Cooper Landing side of Kenai lake). This is by far my favorite way to get up there. Also, if the light is kinda flat you can stay down in the trees and find some great riding not far from the parking lot. Up on top is kind of like Eureka and is miserable during flat light conditions.

There isn't much for technical riding on either trail, but there is a lot of boondocking opportunity on the Snug harbor side so sticking to the main trail might be hard for some of us
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Mcat

MCAT-Looks like we may have to orginize a secondary "interior" forum ride! PM me when you head to Summit or Thompson in the future. Wouldn't mind checking out the 1000! Ride with the Valdez guys a lot and have a good spread of sleds this year. From Dragons to Revs to Cat M8s, but no one with the big boy.

Thumbs up Forum rides

Why do I have to work for a living??? where is Ed McMahann when you need him..lol
    I wish I could spend some time up around the fairbanks area this winter, That 1000 mile ride sounds interesting, and I wouldn't mind taking that Maclaren lodge trip... I just need more time off, and more days on the calendar.
    I will be out of state getting some sun next week, and then back in February, but the end of February I will be taking that Tok to Dawson city trip....
    Someone needs to grow some teeth and set a time and a place to meet and those that can,, can,, and those of us that can't won't...
    March I plan of hosting a trip to Lost lake via Snug Harbor road.
    get going guys and get riding..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

AKMUD, there is also the "Fireman's" trail up off of Scotty road in Seward. This is a short but steep way up to the Lost Lake area.

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    AKMUD, there is also the "Fireman's" trail up off of Scotty road in Seward. This is a short but steep way up to the Lost Lake area.
    I have heard about that trail, but I've never been on it. I guess coming from Palmer I figured it wasn't worth the extra drive to Seward. Sounds like it would be a welcome alternative to Primrose!
    AKmud

Thumbs up Date?

We have some idea's for a location. AKmud, sounds like your the most familiar with the area's so what date works for you?

Thumbs up

I have Sat, Sun, Mondays off from work. Sat. and Mon. are the best days for me. I am available any weekend except Jan 27 and Feb 9-11th.

Let me know what works for the majority and we will make it happen!
    AKmud

Thumbs up

My family and I are going to be riding at knik/jim Creek this sat. We have rode four wheelers and dirt bikes out there but never snowmachines! if it is good riding to the glacier I might suggest a group ride out there! We are also going to turnagain on sunday of this coming weekend!
    SlEdHeAd