Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best daypack/meat hauling pack???

Default Best daypack/meat hauling pack???

What does everyone use? What do you think is the best daypack/meat hauler?

Just get a Barney's pack and do yourself a favor.

Brett

Default Crewcab

I have been looking at one of these. I do not have one but some of the guys on here do. This works as a day pack and a hauler. The Barney's packs are great from what I hear but they are large and don't compress down like this does.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it....&category=1973

I have the Mystery Ranch NICE 6500. If you want a daypack size the Crewcab is a little smaller. I've tried a number of different packs, none even compare to the Mystery Ranch pack.

I am currently using an Eberlestock J105? and it's a tad heavy by itself, like 7-8 lbs. Trying to find something that is of similar quality but lighter weight.

i like the kings outdoor world daypack. pretty nice.

Release Lake Trout

Do yourself a favor.. and forget barneys exists

Seriously. There are pros and cons to every pack. But this is the best pack i've tried. I don't like how low the shoulder tensioners are, and the cam lock webbing tensioners are useless when frozen. It also carries heavy loads a little too low for my liking. But, its super comfy. Super tough, and beats the socks off the Barneys packs I've tried.

Max load in my CC so far is 140# of rebar. (45 pieces of 5/8" x 3' rebar)

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

Do yourself a favor.. and forget barneys exists

Seriously. There are pros and cons to every pack. But this is the best pack i've tried. I don't like how low the shoulder tensioners are, and the cam lock webbing tensioners are useless when frozen. It also carries heavy loads a little too low for my liking. But, its super comfy. Super tough, and beats the socks off the Barneys packs I've tried.

Max load in my CC so far is 140# of rebar. (45 pieces of 5/8" x 3' rebar)

I'll have to raise the B. S. Flag on that one !!!!!!!!..............

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'll have to raise the B. S. Flag on that one !!!!!!!!..............
    Which part?

c'mon kahahawai, I know you're a Barney's fan, You like the Hunter packs. I do too. If I was to go External, that's what I'd get. But the rest of us have to have our fun too

Maybe someday I'll have both, but I've tried both (with weight), and I will honestly say, I'd take the MR everyday, anyday over the Barneys.

Buut as they say, opinions are like buuttholios...

To the OP- my suggestion. Try a bunch of packs. Buy what YOU like, and what fits YOU best.

KWai- Take me sheep hunting this year, and I'll pack out Yours AND your Boys sheep with my MR. You guys just carry guns. You can even blindfold me for the flight in ....

Edit: If the flag was thrown on the rebar.. you're welcome to go look at it. Setting Control for a traverse out of California creek in Girdwood. Packed it in to where the Chugach park begins. 45 pieces, count em and weep (don't F### with the swing ties I have flagged though).

I am picking up a sitka bivy 45 on monday. Its a 4500 cu in internal frame that can compress wayyyyy down.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Which part?

c'mon kahahawai, I know you're a Barney's fan, You like the Hunter packs. I do too. If I was to go External, that's what I'd get. But the rest of us have to have our fun too

Maybe someday I'll have both, but I've tried both (with weight), and I will honestly say, I'd take the MR everyday, anyday over the Barneys.

Buut as they say, opinions are like buuttholios...

To the OP- my suggestion. Try a bunch of packs. Buy what YOU like, and what fits YOU best.

KWai- Take me sheep hunting this year, and I'll pack out Yours AND your Boys sheep with my MR. You guys just carry guns. You can even blindfold me for the flight in ....

Edit: If the flag was thrown on the rebar.. you're welcome to go look at it. Setting Control for a traverse out of California creek in Girdwood. Packed it in to where the Chugach park begins. 45 pieces, count em and weep (don't F### with the swing ties I have flagged though).

I believe You can put 140 # of rebar in there, but.................after extended use why would you want to tear up your pack like that?, I wasn't doubting you, I was just wondering how many miles you packed it and how much vertical feet you ascended???..........I packed out 130 pound moose quarters one at a time on flat ground for 1 mile and my back was killin' me, took me two whole days to get that moose out. Packin' out 1 sheep and gear is nothing, very doable, I just take it slow and easy. I'm hoping this year to pack out 1.5 sheep, while the boy packs the other half, our tent and two sleeping bags I tried the mytery ranch, and internal frames don't carry the load on my back the way I want it to....for meat packing, Frame is the way to go....

Default Crewcab

The crewcab is not an internal frame. It is designed for load hauling. It the only pack I have ever seen that is both a day pack and load hauler.

This is the description for the nice frame that the crewcab uses.

NICE FRAME SYSTEM

This highly versatile pack system consists of a frame that can be used alone as a simple pack frame or in conjunction with an array of bags. This provides consistent, heavy-duty load support across all bag sizes and allows hunters to customize their setup to suit any style hunt.

My top three in order:
    Dan McHale Inex: This pack is perfect in every way and it should be because it cost a fortune and was made to my specs.

MR Nice 6500: great pack!! My only gripe is that when using it in load sling configuration the load lifters wrap around the shoulder and don't have anything to pull on to actually "lift" the load. It is also heavy

Barneys carnivore frame: I had and sold a barneys pinnacle bag that I bought to use for sheep. I am not a fan of external frames for mountain work. They feel disconnected and hard to balance.

Eberlestock: They don't have the suspension to really haul the big loads like the ather bags, but they are pretty impressive with the built in scabard and the expansion of the J107. It would be the ideal pack for deer hunting in the southeast but there is no way I would try and stuff a moose quarter in there and expect it not to fail or at least be extremely uncomfortable.

I believe You can put 140 # of rebar in there, but.................after extended use why would you want to tear up your pack like that?, I wasn't doubting you, I was just wondering how many miles you packed it and how much vertical feet you ascended???..........I packed out 130 pound moose quarters one at a time on flat ground for 1 mile and my back was killin' me, took me two whole days to get that moose out. Packin' out 1 sheep and gear is nothing, very doable, I just take it slow and easy. I'm hoping this year to pack out 1.5 sheep, while the boy packs the other half, our tent and two sleeping bags I tried the mytery ranch, and internal frames don't carry the load on my back the way I want it to....for meat packing, Frame is the way to go....
    Tear up my pack?? Thats what its made to do.. carry stuff. And heavy stuff at that. I've used it for books, for trimble gps, for Nikon total station, for snowshoes, for 3 cubes of coors... Its mades to carry things. It didn't tear it up at all. Tore ME up. I was freaking sore. Lowrance says I carried it around for 4 miles by the end of the day, and went up 600 feet. It wasn't quick. It wasn't easy. But the good thing about setting points, is that the pack gets progressively lighter. I was probably down to 70 pounds of rebar by the end of the traverse.
    The way I see it. I want versatility. I pack meat maybe 4 times, 5 times, a year maybe. Do a lot of hunting, hiking, and exploring, but actually packing meat? Not that often. If all I did was pack meat... yeah, a frame would be it. But im not going to buy a meat packer for 5 days a year. I spend a whole lot more time packing other stuff.

5/8" rebar (.625) is number 5 rebar. 3' sections. 45 count. 1.043#/foot= 140 pounds and change. Plus 100oz msr water bladder, plus 12x binos, plus field book, plus pencils, calculator, camera, gloves, sweatshirt, 4 pieces of string cheese, 4 chewy granola bars, 3 rolls of pink loggers flagging, 1 50' tape, 1 handheld sledge for driving said rebar.

Icb, No hard feelings.....jus giving you a hard time

The mystery ranch pack I had was issued to me, Brown in color, its still in Afghanistan somewhere.....

For strictly meat hauling the barney's external frame is hard to beat. However it is far from a great day pack. I've used Badlands in the past and yes it is a great pack, but I really like the versatility of the Mystery Ranch NICE frame. I don't have a Crewcab for mine. My daypack with the Mystery Ranch NICE frame is a Longbow. Put all the daypack gear in the 2400 cu in daypack and the meat/hide (if succesful) in between the pack and the frame.

LuJon mentioned about the load lifters not working on the NICE frame with the load sling and I would have to agree there. But the NICE 6500 eliminates that problem. Plus the longbow on the NICE frame carries a bow really nice. Heck I was out today hiking in the mountain looking for bears with my bow and really enjoy how the weight (yeah I threw a little extra gear in there to get a workout since i'm out there so there was about 40 pounds or so) rides on the hips.

I own a Barney's frame, but its really only going to see use when the time comes to haul moose quarters out of a swamp to the wheeler or boat. The Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 just works too well (for me) compared to others I've tried to go back to Barney's. That said if the Barney's works for your and your body type and you can get it to fit ya, they are hard to beat. Though I would really like to try out the Kifaru G2 frames so I can really compare and contrast some of the best hunting packs on the market.

In reality though daypacks usually aren't best for meat hauling. Usually they are two different animals. What you really need to ask yourself is if you are looking for a meat hauler that can at times be used as a large daypack or a daypack that can (if asked) haul out a hefty load of meat.

Icb, No hard feelings.....jus giving you a hard time
    Haha, no worries here man, all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    ...In reality though daypacks usually aren't best for meat hauling. Usually they are two different animals. What you really need to ask yourself is if you are looking for a meat hauler that can at times be used as a large daypack or a daypack that can (if asked) haul out a hefty load of meat.
    That's what I'm looking for, we hunt out of a camp that we can drive to so I'm looking for a daypack turned into meat hauler.

We generally walk from camp up to 10 miles then back to camp at the end of each day. I wanna be able to have my "stuff" with me and the hauling capabilities should the hunt become successful.

Default Crewcab

Check out the link I posted below its the only pack that I have seen that is designed as a day pack and pack hauler.

Yep, It looks like you are destined to be a MR owner. Great packs and probably the only one that will truly do what you are asking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast