Thread: Need something more than Impertech for Fall Kodiak Bear Hunting??

Default Need something more than Impertech for Fall Kodiak Bear Hunting??

Going over my gear list and reading Russ' book on "Bear Hunting in Alaska" and wondering about raingear/outershell for a fall Kodiak brown bear hunt...

What is the opinion on using Helly Hansen Impertech as the rain gear/outer shell to ward off the rain/sleet/snow/wind/etc.

This hunt will include motoring around in a zodiac at times.

Is Impertech sufficient or should one buy actual rubber rainsuits?? or another product??

Thanx for the input...

Quote Originally Posted by majorbam View Post
    Going over my gear list and reading Russ' book on "Bear Hunting in Alaska" and wondering about raingear/outershell for a fall Kodiak brown bear hunt...

What is the opinion on using Helly Hansen Impertech as the rain gear/outer shell to ward off the rain/sleet/snow/wind/etc.

This hunt will include motoring around in a zodiac at times.

Is Impertech sufficient or should one buy actual rubber rainsuits?? or another product??

Thanx for the input...
    Impertech will do.

I have used Impertech on the AK penninsula in Oct and Kodiak in Nov and would use it again.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default HH

I wear my Impertech with Just polypro's underneth. Its like huntin in PJ's. Hillbilly

I have gone through two sets of Impertechs (coat and pants) and have been the least impressed. The material cracks easily and does not last long at all. My Impertech has never lasted through a hunting season or summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I have gone through two sets of Impertechs (coat and pants) and have been the least impressed. The material cracks easily and does not last long at all. My Impertech has never lasted through a hunting season or summer.
    Try watershed rugged wear rain gear. Rubber gear; lots tougher than impertech. Used it logging in SE.

http://www.gowatershed.com/custom-ra...e-rugged-wear/

still pretty light, compared to other full rubber gear. Move pretty well in it. Problem is finding it. Most logging supply stores have it though.

Default more...

When in those envirnments where you absolutely know life will be wet, I prefer two sets of rain gear.

One set is HH Impertech. Be aware that if you put it away wet for any length of time it will, in my experience, crack with "rubber rot". Also, during a long, hard, wet day water can wick up the sleeve openings and from the bottom edge of the jacket. The water can wick in that inner fabric all the way up to your shoulders.

So on the hunts with a high likelihood of extended wet weather, I also like a non-breathable rubber rain suit.

Do not get those Cabelas combination insulated-jacket/rain-jacket. The outer, breathable fabric has a "nap" to it and it loads up with pounds of water. It gets heavy. But even worse, the synthetic materials, when hung up to dry, will drain a gallon of water onto the floor of your tent.

...the joy of hunting rain country...

dennis

There are so many other options that I prefer compared to Imptertech. My marmot precip jacket has been great and light weight. It's not a super durable material but works well when glassin in the the rain. The under armor jacket my mother-in-law gave to me on my birthday is my go to jacket for ALL conditions. My Grunden pants has worked quite well.

Two brands have never left me more miserable in the woods than HH Imptertech and Cabela's MT050's.

Lightbulb

We are talkin' $40-$70 gear here... hard to get a rugged full year -- let alone dependable season after season with this stuff. For what it's designed for - it's pretty good, inexpensive, & comfortable. Performance expectations in the clouds and from the depths - well - there is better

Default Thanx for the input

Thanx for all the input. I have the Impertech and enjoy it thoroughly as well as some other outer shells similar to the Marmot Precip gear. I think I'll be fine--really wondering for the wife however as I need to ensure she is as comfortable as possible on this since it is her bear hunt and her first hunting opportunity so I am starting from scratch on outfitting her... guess for a 1st hunt starting out with Kodiak Brown Bears is one way to go...

I think I'll go with a set of Impertech for her and if I come along with something else that is durable and waterproof I'll add it in to her kit as well--believe the key to success for her is going to be enough layers to match the various conditions Kodiak can throw at us...

Again--thanx for the input--I am sure I'll have more over the next few months as we narrow down what we need to get for her.

You aren't planning on swimming with it are you? If not you should be fine.

Brett