Thread: Peters Creek

Default Peters Creek

I'm looking for some info on Peters creek trail. Where does it start and how do you access it? What is the trail like? I've looked at all kinds of maps and just can't find the parking area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's on Malcom Drive in Peters Creek. There isn't a parking lot really, you just park on the side of the road. If you take the Glenn highway to the Peters Creek Exit (the one with the giant lady bug), take a right at the exit this will be Ski Road. Follow this road around until it T's, and take a right. This road turns into Chugach Park Drive, and you just keep following it up until you get to the end. There are a couple of turns that I don't remember the names of right now, but check out Google Maps, and you'll be able to find it. You can even see the trail from their satellite map.

The trail is an old mining road, big and wide for the first few miles.

Default good site

I can't find the trail by that name on this site. Perhaps it has a different "official" name.

This site is pretty good for local area hikes.

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm

Yeah it's not on there as far as I can tell. Description on the DNR site:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/pet...alleyguide.pdf

Thanks for the help you guys. I think I will go and check it out next week.

I've hiked this trail twice and it's very nice. The trail runs right next to the creek and you can hear the water most of the way back. If you go straight, it will take you back into a bowl in the middle of the mountains at an old homestead site. Another road will cut off to the north east (I think) from there and I haven't been up that valley yet. You could explore for days back there.

Not too far of the way in on the main trail, there's also another trail that cuts off to the north east (again, I think) and will take you up to the top of a mountain overlooking Eklutna lake. At the right time of year, this trail is just overflowing with flowers and is truly gorgeous.

Right now, I would guess the trail might not be fully thawed and could be sloppy, hard to say. In the summer it's a very nice trail. It's shared use for bikes, horses and hikers. No motorized access. We've seen some game back there, last year we saw a nice black bear.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.