Thread: FYI - Haul Road Griz

Default FYI - Haul Road Griz

Just got back from caribou hunting up on the Haul road. Anyone hunting around Slope Mountain should be pretty on their game. I had a big male grizzly steal my bou while I helped my buddy butcher his. As we hiked out, we saw that he had followed our trail all the way in from the road, right to our camp. I kind of wished I had shot him, but we didn't bring a tag along on this trip.

If you are heading up to go caribou hunting, be prepared for some pretty bold and hungry bears. It was pretty foggy, and we saw him in time to get out of there, but he was bold and he might try it again, so FYI -- bring your bear tag if you go north.

Griz hunting up there is by draw only, don't hunt griz unless you have a draw permit. You can DLP him if need be, but don't go up to just hunt him.
    I hope this saves someone from a ticket.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Griz hunting up there is by draw only, don't hunt griz unless you have a draw permit.
    Not in the spring, the draw is only for the fall hunts. With a bear tag in hand and of course a bow, griz is open til 6/1 IIRC.

Smart bear. I'm guessing he knows that there is a chance of leftovers if he follows hunters around? Although not so smart if someone has a tag on them.

Finally a bear at slope mountain......all the times I hunted there, never seen a bear. Tell me something ,were the sheep around?, someone told me they don't winter there.

I've stalked a mating pair of grizzlies on the side of slope mountain about 8 years ago. Pretty cool to get up on the mountain and work across. Some of it is as steep as it looks! I had to try and get above the bears and work down because of the wind, and by the time I got to set up, they headed right towards the road and passed the truck by about 30 feet it looked like. It was a nice hike regardless.

Last fall I saw sheep on the flat lands working south east. I think they pull off slope mountain and head down towards the range. I have seen them there in late May, and in late September. The time I saw them on the flats was in mid October.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Not in the spring, the draw is only for the fall hunts. With a bear tag in hand and of course a bow, griz is open til 6/1 IIRC.

Well just when you think you know the Regs, Thanks I may have to go for a drive this weekend...And thanks AKCub for reading better then I.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Yeah I have spent my fair share of time up there chasing stuff.

I was up there yesterday and I saw two separate groups of sheep on Slope Mtn. I'm not sure if they were there all winter, but they are there now.
    DJ

How much snow was there between Coldfoot and Chandalar, is most of it gone down low?

Default A word on DLP bear kills-

Most of you guys know this already, but for those who may not, "DLP" stands for "Defense of Life and Property". It forms a legal justification for killing a bear out of season. Unfortunately a lot of bears are killed because the shooter was inexperienced in handling bear situations in the field and incorrectly determined that the bear was a threat. Ultimately it is a judgement call; presumably you get better at assessing such situations with more experience.

Also note that you are not allowed to kill a bear under our DLP law if it is stealing your game meat. If he is tearing up your camp, your boat, etc, or is a threat to your person, yes. But not if he walks off with your caribou.

Just a heads-up for those who may not know...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Most of you guys know this already, but for those who may not, "DLP" stands for "Defense of Life and Property". It forms a legal justification for killing a bear out of season. Unfortunately a lot of bears are killed because the shooter was inexperienced in handling bear situations in the field and incorrectly determined that the bear was a threat. Ultimately it is a judgement call; presumably you get better at assessing such situations with more experience.

Also note that you are not allowed to kill a bear under our DLP law if it is stealing your game meat. If he is tearing up your camp, your boat, etc, or is a threat to your person, yes. But not if he walks off with your caribou.

Just a heads-up for those who may not know...

-Mike
    thats exactly right Mike if a bear wants your fish and game you have laying there... its his unless you scare him off...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

thats exactly right Mike if a bear wants your fish and game you have laying there... its his unless you scare him off...
    One thing I still don't know. Are you just plain old screwed if a bear steals your game or can you "refill your tag"? I'm guessing screwed but just gotta ask.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    One thing I still don't know. Are you just plain old screwed if a bear steals your game or can you "refill your tag"? I'm guessing screwed but just gotta ask.
    Your question suggests that you did not punch your harvest ticked upon taking the animal, which is illegal. If you followed the law and punched your tag immediately upon taking the animal, you are done. The short answer is that 1) you filled your tag, 2) the bear gets the meat, and 3) you get to keep the antlers / cape. Unless you're like my friend Dan Parry, who, upon discovering that a brown bear had cleaned all the deer off the meat pole, exited the cabin in his long underwear, followed the drag marks, dug the meat bags out from under the dirt pile where the bear left them, and then hung them right back where they came from! He was unarmed at the time, insane with rage, and in no mood to be nice to "some ol' bear". You've gotta think that when the bear witnessed his demeanor, he probably backed off and went for someone a little softer. Sometimes all it takes is a bigger "bear".

In all the years I've hunted and guided big-game hunters in Alaska, only once have I had a bear steal a bag of meat. He got a front shoulder right off the kill site, where I was packing solo. Not saying it doesn't happen, but we tend to worry / talk about it way more than it happens.

You can decrease your odds of a "situation" by running a clean camp, positioning your meat where you can see it from camp, and getting it packed from the kill site ASAP. If you're hunting an area that is known for bears stealing kills (Kodiak Island comes to mind), then you simply cannot make a practice of making multiple trips to get your deer packed out. Hunt with a partner and git 'er done quickly.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Your question suggests that you did not punch your harvest ticked upon taking the animal, which is illegal. If you followed the law and punched your tag immediately upon taking the animal, you are done.
    Wasn't intending to suggest that... just a hypothetical but, I get your point... A punched tag is a done deal, even if Ol' Ephram steals everything (including my lawefully taken property).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Wasn't intending to suggest that... just a hypothetical but, I get your point... A punched tag is a done deal, even if Ol' Ephram steals everything (including my lawefully taken property).
    HOWEVER... In RE... this thread is a haul road griz thread.... mind you...

the limit is now Five caribou after 07/01
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

HOWEVER... In RE... this thread is a haul road griz thread.... mind you...
    Gotcha, I did wonder a bit, Sorry.