Thread: S&W 460 or Ruger 454

Default S&W 460 or Ruger 454

I am looking for comparisons between the two by those that have fired both. I have handled both weapons but have only fired the Ruger. I had a Ruger 454 that I had WWG chop off the barrel for me.

I would either pick up the 5" 460 or have another Ruger chopped to 5" for easier carry as a back up for bow hunting.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons for both weapons.

Thanks for the help.

I have both and have shot them both. For a back up on bow hunts, either would be fine. I like the 5" 460V for that as no gunsmithing (barrel amputation) is required. They are both heavy guns and truth be told you probably will never need one. I would like to have one with me when I bow hunt...just in case. The longer barrrel necessitates a longer/bigger holster. That is more to get in the way.

In a pinch, you can shoot the 460 cartridge as well as the 45 LC and the 454. It just gives you more options for finding ammo. I did magnaport my Ruger and it helped a lot.

I think this is 6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other.

Matt

Both are very good options. Ruger 454 is lighter, a tad less power, and a bit less money even after mods. 460 is a little more weight, little more power, needs no mods, opens up a lot more options, and don't forget it's a Smith & Wesson. A 454 will do anything a 460 will on the mid to low end but you get the ability to push a bigger bullet with 460 and a 200g at 2200fps. You also get progressive rifling with a 460 and I have been amazed at the accuracy it gives in just 4 of barrel.

As a bear defense only gun I would likely go with the 454 but if you want to do any hunting 460 hands down, with optics off sticks it hunts almost like a 45-70 rifle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you just want an up close and personal "OH $H17!!" bear gun in a packable double action don't rule out the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt. 360gr at 1150 fps is what I get from mine. No mods needed to the gun, less recoil than the 454 as well. Actually, that load is less pressure than a 310 gr 44mag. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    If you just want an up close and personal "OH $H17!!" bear gun in a packable double action don't rule out the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt. 360gr at 1150 fps is what I get from mine. No mods needed to the gun, less recoil than the 454 as well. Actually, that load is less pressure than a 310 gr 44mag. Just a thought.
    Snyd, could I get that load data from you???
    I've got one of those 4" .45 Colt Redhawks, I'd like to try the load.
    PM if you want.
    Thanks, doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."