Thread: where to buy marine plywood and herculiner?

Default where to buy marine plywood and herculiner?

Anyone have suggestions on where to buy marine plywood in Anchorage?

Also, there was a lot of talk last year of using "herculiner" over the plywood floor. Where can I pick this up at?

Thanks!
    Chris

You can get marine plywood from SBS. Do realize you need to seal it with epoxy or it will get waterlogged and rot out.

Can't help on the herculiner.

Herculiner can usually be found at any of the auto repair supply houses (shucks, napa, carquest, wal-mart & the like) in a do it yerself kit.

HTH

You can by high grade Okume marine plywood (British Standard 1088) from Hardware Specialties. They order it from Eden Saw in Washington and it gets shipped up on one of their monthly loads so you do not pay extra for shipping.

I recommend using this material over fir marine plywood. Fir marine plywood has many voids in it that will draw moisture over time and rot no matter how much epoxy or paint you put on it.

Okume is made from tropical woods that are rot resistant and the plywood does not have voids.

Shucks/Oreilly sell the liner you are talking about.

I dunno, I'd say 100 odd tolman skiffs seem to have done fairly well with fir marine ply over the past 20 or so years.

That's not to say that Okume isn't a wonderful material to work with, doesn't splinter like fir when you cut it, and doesn't soak up as much epoxy when you glass it. But, given that BS-1088 run's twice what fir does for the chinese okume, and triple for the Lloyds certified okume, one has to balance out the pros and cons.

One of the characteristics of marine grade plywood is that no voids or gaps are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    One of the characteristics of marine grade plywood is that no voids or gaps are allowed.

From the APA - Engineered Wood Association.

Marine-grade plywood is made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better. B-grade veneer may have knots but no knotholes. A-grade veneer has no knots or knotholes. Both A and B grade may contain wood or synthetic patches. Panels are sanded on both faces or Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO). The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a "premium" panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required. It is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12-feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.

Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard.

The detailed description of veneer grades and Marine-grade plywood is contained in Voluntary Product Standard PS 1-95 Construction And Industrial Plywood.

Every piece of fir plywood I have ever handled, be it exterior grade or marine grade, had pieces of the knots missing on the surface veneer. If it is missing on the surface veneer then it is going to be missing from the interior veneers as well. Those missing pieces of knots are air pockets that will eventually draw water vapor in to condense as moisture into the wood structure in a freeze thaw environment.

The last piece of 3/4 marine fir I cut up had chunks of knots come out of the veneers since the glue did not adhear them to the other veneers. If the knot is loose then there are voids for water vapor to condense into and start rot.

I have only used a few sheets of marine grade fir and none of them met the standard above. The mills must think we will never actually cut a sheet of their plywood and look at the cut edges. As well my sheets of okume BS1088 fell short of the spec for the one sheet made in France. The stuff from Isreal was super nice material.

I keep my wooden boat dry stored and fix all dents and dings in the spring to prevent any issues with rot. I keep it painted to prevent the epoxy from degrading by UV and cracking. Its only about two hours of work a summer but its worth it.

There's also Meranti--which I believe they have at Hardware Specialties as well. It's stronger than Okoume and generally cheaper. I don't know what your application is, but often weight savings or tighter bending are the main reasons to choose Okoume.

speaking of tolman skiffs, i do believe neal at skiffkits has marine plywood for sale, he is the guy that sells the precut tolman skiff kits in anchorage www.skiffkits.com