Thread: Flying again

Default Flying again

I posted a few months ago about buying my Stinson as a project. She flew for the first time in about 10 years this morning. Great flying plane. She'll suit me just fine.

Default Congratulations

That is a great looking airplane! Stinsons are wonderful aircraft. I wish they were still being made. The Franklin engines are also very good. They are able to run on auto gas, so with the EPA trying to outlaw 100LL maybe they will start production up on them again.
    What all did you do to the project to get it back to flying again?
    Patrick

The body had been finished up to putting the silver on. The engine was completly done except for finding a right exhuast and a tach sending unit. I bought seats for it also. I recovered the wings and painted the whole thing.

Default very nice

great looking bird, nice work!

Back where she belongs.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Congratulations! She is a beauty, great paint job. I know you must have had fun getting her ready to sing again.

This is the very first time I've had anything to do with planes other than buy tickets and ride. I now have my first 2 hours of student training in it. My CFI is very inpressed with the way it handles and performs.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

That's amazing, to train in your own plane. I'm jealous! As far as your flight time, you are two hours ahead of me!!! I'm in ground school right now and won't be able to get into the air until June. My dream is a Beaver!! A beaver with a Beaver hahaha! I've seen some real nicely kept/restored Beavers...with a real nice price tag If anything, you have proven that dreams can come true! Keep dreaming my friend.

Default $$$$$

Casper here is some free advice (and usually worth what you pay for it).

Buy a fuel tank and pump so you can purchase AVGAS from Suburban Propane. It is around a dollar a gallon cheaper than it is on the airport. My plane burns 7.5/Hr and I fly about 120 hrs a year. It will pay for itself in a year.

Again free advice.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Default Auto gas

The Franklin engines were designed to run on 80 octane gasoline. You can run it on car gas just fine. Some people run on 100LL, but they end up with valve problems. Some say to mix the two types of fuel.

I have a 500 gallon tank that I bought for that purpose. I thought Suburban went out of business. Doyle has av gas at $4.03 as of Friday. I plan on running car gas in it since it has the STC and car gas is going for $3.43 right now.

My CFI charges $800 if you use your own plane to learn in. I figured why not put the money saved into my plane not someone else's.

Nice job!

That'll be great getting your ticket in your own classic bird. I hope you have many happy hours in her.

I run a 50/50 mix AVGAS and Car gas in the summer and strait AVGAS in the winter, I run the mix because I want the lead in the AVGAS as a lubricant. I run AVGAS in the winter because in the winter the gas companies mix additives for cold weather like ethanol. Technically you shouldn’t run car gas because there are always some sort of additives and your STC calls for pure 87 Octane with no additives.

Suburban still sells from their warehouse, but they got out of the delivery business. I like the portable tank because I can have the wife drive the truck to an airport near where we want to hunt and then I shuttle the camp and other stuff in from there. You will figure these things out as you go. Each of us has our own technique.

You made the right choice in buying the plane. Your PPL is simply a license to learn. There are a lot of people here who are willing to give advice and the lessons they learned the hard way. Have fun with it. The more you know about your airplane, performance, systems, flight characteristics, maintenance needs the better off you are. Once you get your PPL shoot me a PM and I’ll take you to some of the off airport fishing spots I have learned about. Maybe we will put together a trip over to Iliamna.

Just my Nickel
    Drew

Scott Adams

I appreciate the offer Drew and will take you up on it. I spoke with Doyle's on Monday and they said that there is no ethanol in any fuel on the Kenai pen. Don't know just what I was told. I was also thinking on doing the 50/50 thing also. Thought it would give a slight boost to the octane too.

FWIT we have been running straight pump gas winter n summer in the planes (for years) with no issues in the Kenai / Soldotna area. If the STC is for auto gas, run it. So far they have not mandated putting additives that should be sipped out of a small glass over a nice camp fire to our gasoline up here.