Thread: How do i get to kodiak?

Default How do i get to kodiak?

I live in anchorage and i was wanting to do a blacktail hunt, I was wanting to go the cheapest route possible. Can I drive and then take a ferry and to kodiak and start hunting? any info would be great

uh you could fly, or jet ski if you wanted, or ferry it....it aint as easy as sounds young grasshopper. the deer hunting is better the farther away you get from town. there are also bears...best to have a partner for lookout duty.....ferry mite be cheapest without a vehicle...i flew, and it wasnt much. but then i flew somewhere to the ASS-END of the island and that was spendy.

Release Lake Trout

how spendy we talking here? once you get into kodiak do you know if there was anyone taking people around kodiak by another ferry? maybe just get dropped off or something.

it was a party trip 8 of us....to get to kodiak city, then to to where i was going and back after hunting cost me $1500 just for me to go on that trip.... that was a 10 day unguided hunt.......... way south end, good hard hunting..........i dont know nything else im sorry i didnt plan any of it..........ask kodiakcombos on this forum and /or call andrew airways in kodiak.

Release Lake Trout

That doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the info. Did you just hook up with a bush pilot in kodiak?

andrew airways..the best there is in kodiak...penair to kodiak from anchorage

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by pnewby View Post
    That doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the info. Did you just hook up with a bush pilot in kodiak?
    Call the bio in Kodiak to find out where the deer are doing good and spend a good bit of time looking through the archives here. Then call Seahawk air and Andrews air and get pricing to start making plans. Either flight service will tell you where they can land but ultimately you need to know where you want to go. They are flight services not guide services. If you want a guide then look at Kodiak Combo's.

If you just want to hunt deer you can probably do it cheaper out of Valdez or any of several other coastal towns with a good water taxi.

I didn't even think of valdez, that sounds like a good idea. wonder how much a boat ride would be from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    andrew airways..the best there is in kodiak...penair to kodiak from anchorage
    Not penair. Era avation or now Frontier Era Alaska and Alaska air are only two Commercial air carriers that fly in and out of Kodiak. You can ferry down to Kodiak city with truck and 4 wheeler and hunt road system, lookn in regs, reduced harvest and shorter season and more hunters and less deer. Just have to be willing to hike and give some effort. Another possibility is ferry to port lions and hunt there using extensive 4 wheeler trails. There are a few boat based transporters that can take you around for a drop off as well. Not sure on names though a little research would turn them up. And final option is a fly out. Island air, Harvey's flying service, seahawk air and Andrew air are all reputable air charters services. You just have to decide how far you away from Kodiak city you want to get and how much gear you are going to bring. Weight is critical factor in baggage fees on airlines to Kodiak and back to ANC.

dienquivers thank you correcting me- era aviation! sorry pnewby.....

Release Lake Trout

Default Kodiak

Although I'm a non-resident - I have connections in Kodiak city. Flying from Anchorage is not a problem UNLESS you have a lot of gear.

One thing that has changed in the last couple of years is land ownership. In some cases, you have to hike a long ways to get to public lands. Like everyone has said so far, check the archives.

I'll have to second the motion - the further you get from Kodiak city, the better the deer hunting.

I've flown with everyone mentioned except Island Air. They are all good.

I would be looking at other places if I wanted a REALLY CHEAP blacktail hunt (but that's just personal opinion).

When I go on my bear hunts I ship my gear down before hand with Carlisle. 3 days and only $90 for a pallet that weighed about 175 lbs.

I would recommend leaving out of Seward if you are coming from Anchorage. Shorter drive time.

No Ferry in Seward

Default going alone?

call Jeff Petersen at Kodiak Combs 907 286-2252, great guy and he will give you staight anwser's and it might be a even deal on price and safe for your first trip to Kodiak. Good hunting!

I meant leaving out of seward to the islands in 6D to hunt deer. I think a prince wiliam sound blacktail hunt would be cheaper.

I don't know of anyone doing a reasonably priced water transportation business out of Seward. If there is, I'd love to hear about it. It's a pretty long haul out of Seward to even the backside of Montague.

Personally, I find Kodiak prices to be pretty reasonable if you go with someone else, split the costs and fly in.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think i'm gonna try to do the prince william sound thing instead of kodiak, seems more up my price range, just trying to figure out how much the water taxi is gonna cost me now. and if i can take a truck with me and which island has the best deer hunting. so many questions lol. oh yeah, would it be better to go out of valdez or out of whittier?

Quote Originally Posted by pnewby View Post
    I think i'm gonna try to do the prince william sound thing instead of kodiak, seems more up my price range, just trying to figure out how much the water taxi is gonna cost me now. and if i can take a truck with me and which island has the best deer hunting. so many questions lol. oh yeah, would it be better to go out of valdez or out of whittier?

it appears that you first need a map....none of the islands have roads unless you get to one of the villages and then the roads don't go anywhere and you are now surrounded by private land and you won't be hunting that.

If you want to go road hunting for deer then you need to head to southeast. Hoonha has a lot of forest service roads and a few public camp grounds. Regular ferry service from Juneau. There are other places to go so get a map and start planning it out.

Water taxis run about $250 a person as long as you have the minimum number of people which is 4 I seem to remember from my kids kayaking trip last year. Out of Whittier there are a few live aboard boats that you can sign up with for hunting trips. Fill up the boat and it is cheaper.

the deer hunting varies at each place. Islands with brown bears hunt better later in the year once the bears are down for the winter. you can't really go too wrong with Monti up in the alpine tundra. It might be cheaper to fly over and land on the beach sharing the cost with some friends.

Default Trip to Kodiak

I just returned from a hunt over there....we flew Alaska Airlines for 149 each...checked in 3 bags at 50lbs...shipped the other bags (250lb) through ERA Cargo services for 52 bucks...cant beat it. Trip back was the same although we flew Era Airways and could only check in two bags at 50...Used Era Cargo on the way back as well..to easy. This was a DIY hunt and we tried to keep the cost down as well.

Going on any hunt where you have to fly is going to cost a little bit...good luck this fall and have fun..the terrian is great for climbing.

DH01