Thread: !&#**@!!!!!Winchester 100)*!&@#

Angry !&#**@!!!!!Winchester 100)*!&@#

Last summer, I picked up a really really really nice late Model 100 Winchester carbine .243 with a Lyman All American 4X in Beuhler rings and bases. Paid a bit over market for the thing because of the condition, and I wanted it...took it out over the weekend, after working up some loads for the thing, and it slam fired (doubled) with all four loads. I understand there was a fix for the thing, but not sure if they'll honor it, or who could do the repairs now.
    Figured that I'd try to find some of the hard-cup CCI large rifle primers, and not a single cap to be found in the valley! ARRGGGHHH! Not sure that a semi-auto sporter is worth the effort. Anyone else out there in cyberland have this problem with this model rifle? What was your fix? TIA

Had the same problem with 2 Model 100's in our hunting group. Both were .308's. It was the firing pin that was the original reason for the recall. Call Winchester/Olin and they have a record of the serial numbers. Will tell you where to send it and pay for the fix. They were extremely helpful and this was about 2 years ago. They are great guns.

Default Thanks!

I called them up, most helpful and pleasant. Good to know that there's still service for Winchesters...apparently the recall is still good, and from what I understand, no cost for shipping either way, nor for the repairs.

Definitely let them do the replacement! I disassembled one of my 100s years ago, simply because I wanted to know how to remove the follower. As far as I know, the main spring has never come back to earth, because we never found it. It took off like a rocket into the wide blue yonder. The replacement is so long and skinny that I had a dickens of a time getting it back in place.

Congratulations on a great gun. I had one in 243 as well as 308, and both were surely reliable and accurate. You'll be real proud of it once you replace that pin.

Default modified firing procedure....

while at the range, instead of trying to feed out of the magazine, I pulled it out, and single fed rounds directly into the chamber. This rifle really likes the 100 gr. Hornady, putting five rounds right at 1 1/4" at a hundred. I might fool around with the bedding a bit, but it's got plenty of hunting accuracy out of the gate.

I'm not sure how much you would gain with a bedding adjustment, unless there is uneven pressure from wood contact along the barrel channel. Because it's a gun with growing value, I'd leave action bedding as a last resort.
    In the meantime, slide a matchbook cover under the barrel and slide it full length along the barrel channel. If it hangs up here and there, I'd be tempted to clean up the barrel channel a little at a time to see if that helps. If the groups are more or less round without any stringing, even that might not be necessary. (Brownell's makes a really neat barrel bedding tool that's easy to use and worth its weight in gold, not just the $25 it will cost you).

Before I even picked up a barrel bedding tool though, I'd try the 80 grain loads, and especially some handloads. My 243 never did much better than an inch with 100 grain bullets, in factory loads or handloads. But it would practically stack almost any 80 or 85 grain bullets on top of each other, both factory and handload.

Default Bedding tools...

Thanks for the tip! I've been using a few of the Gunline barrel channel scrapers in different sizes for perhaps 20 years. Haven't had to send one in to be resharpened yet, and they do top quality work.
    The bit of problem I've got with this particular rifle is out in the forend where the screw goes into the barrel block through the forward sling swivel and band. Looks like a very narrow contact patch in the bottom, which in my mind says that the barrel could be moving laterally sometime. I thought I'd give it a bit of epoxy out there to fill the rest of the channel in and give it a bit more security. Not sure that it'd be worth the effort, and I'll probably play with it some more before I do anything to it just yet...Thanks!

Thumbs up Narrow Minded

The 100's can be a little picky as to which ammo they shoot the best, I had better luck with bullets in the 90 grn. range in my 243. The stock has a pressure point on the barrel near the front sling swivel. The pressure point may be less significant than the extreme cold which can cause the stock to freeze and twist or warp. Great old gun though, ENJOY.