Thread: 79' Evinrude

Default 79' Evinrude

I picked up a "new to me" 16 ft skiff with a 79' 25hp Evinrude. Thing is, it has a 20 hp Johnson cowling on it. I would rather have an Evinrude cowling so if anybody has or knows someone who has one that they want to sell or get rid of, I'd be interested. Thanks. Can't wait to get fishing!
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Default Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    I picked up a "new to me" 16 ft skiff with a 79' 25hp Evinrude. Thing is, it has a 20 hp Johnson cowling on it. I would rather have an Evinrude cowling so if anybody has or knows someone who has one that they want to sell or get rid of, I'd be interested. Thanks. Can't wait to get fishing!
    It's a 31 year old motor! Sand it down, paint it Evinrude blue, take a marker and write Evinrude on the sides. Or maybe OMC. Or buy decals on the web. Do the same for the 25.

Regardless of what it says or how it looks, you need not wait to go fishing!

Nevertheless: Fisherman's Friend in Homer has lots of old cowlings. Give John a call and he could probably fix you up.

Default 79'

That is a long shaft right? Does it make a difference what year the cowling is or as long as it fits?

Default You need to watch...

"I got a big ol' Johnson" on Utube or search it on the forum, it will convince you to stick with the Johnson cowling! Otherwise, if you find one, it should fit exactly they were the same motor back then, not sure about modern ones...or if they even make Johnson anymore

Try J.Kimberly services 349-1894 He,s on arctic across from the Cat dealer. He might have a old motor laying around. I have one just like it, Good motors easy to work on. Just watch the plastic pc, that engages the pull start, I have ate a few of these over the yr,s.

HA! I thought about that... just sanding it down, but then putting my OWN name on it!! Doesn't matter if it's long or short shaft, Johnson/Evinrude cowls are the same as long as it's the same hp. I'll probably just say to heck with it and go fishing.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Default I have an Evercrude 35 cowling

Might not fit, but maybe it would.

You cant do this to an Evinrude...............................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR