Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Snaring Book in Stock!

Default Bear Snaring Book in Stock!

I know some of you think we ignore your suggestions for new titles, but some time last year after the BOG meetings, there was some discussion of Ralph Flowers' book, "The Education of a Bear Hunter". Ralph was a government hunter in Washington's Olympic Peninsula, who was charged with reducing black bear numbers. In his 20-year career he took many black bears, many by foot-snares. We have been looking for this book for some time, and finally have a limited quantity in stock for those interested.

It's a good read, but is especially of interest to anyone interested in the foot-snaring of black bears, a new predator control method recently employed in parts of Alaska. Even if you just want to learn more about black bears, it's a great resource.

Hope you like it!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs down No sale

Michael,

I wish nothing for great things for your forum and for the forum community.
    I hope your book, Float Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers sells better than Spalins Going Rogue.
    (I bought your book, not hers.)
    I hope you sell zero (0) bear snaring books, even if it does have some other useful black bear biology/ecology in it.

I know. I know that others may disagree.

Sincerely Yours,
    Denis

Default Just placed my order...

I doubt I'll be out snaring bears anytime soon but if there is one thing in this book I didn't know beforehand about bears and their behavior then the book is worth it - to me anyway.

Thanks for posting about the books availability.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. This is the kind of service customers need.
    I hope you sell out on the books and I HOPE it helps a plethora of hunters/trappers who will participate in future legal methods of harvesting bears.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Go Rogue

Opps I'm feeling outnumbered now.
    Your welcome Mike...any advertising is much better than no advertising.
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Michael,

I wish nothing for great things for your forum and for the forum community.
    I hope your book, Float Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers sells better than Spalins Going Rogue.
    (I bought your book, not hers.)
    I hope you sell zero (0) bear snaring books, even if it does have some other useful black bear biology/ecology in it.

I know. I know that others may disagree.

Sincerely Yours,
    Denis
    Hi Dennis,

We thought about that book for a while before bringing it in. While I'm not a big fan of the snaring program myself, I can see some wanting to know more about it, regardless of the person's stance on the activity itself. The author himself appears to have strong reservations about it on an emotional level, however it was certainly effective and served its purpose. The book is not so much a "how-to" or a political commentary on snaring; it's more of a collection of hunting stories involving the author's activities as a bear control officer- snaring and using hounds to hunt bears.

My point is that carrying the book does not make us a fan of the practice itself. Our job is to provide a platform for the free exchange of information related to the Alaska outdoors. In doing so I try hard (well, okay now I try hard) to maintain neutrality on these issues, while allowing an opportunity for our members to voice their views.

Hope it makes sense-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default fun

just having a little bit of fun....
    stirring the pot ever so gently....
    and a few bubbles rose up and popped...
    bear stew!

So does the bear snaring book have any bear stew recipes?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

bear stew!

Now dennis... to much time in bear camp with beans for dinner makes for interesting cowboy bubble baths. but you know regardless of the bean flavor.... they all have similar proporties....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

bear stew!

Dennis, you are a funny man... no recipes per se, but an excellent section on the proper care of hides and meat. He appears to be very conscientious when it comes to meat care, which is, if you've read my info for long, a strong passion I also share. He discusses hanging /aging, curing / smoking, and other things that, well, make me hungry. No recipes, but some good solid meat care advice...

I like the last line in the book, and I think it is a fine way to end a book like this: "Be glad for the chance to live and love and enjoy the outdoors, remembering that the success of a day in the woods is not always measured by a full game sack."

-Mike

Default in the woods or on the water!

Mike S.
    And to that......"Be glad for the chance to live and love and enjoy the outdoors, remembering that the success of a day in the woods (or on the water rafting) is not always measured by a full game sack.".....surely we can all agree to that.

Vince,
    Bear Stew and Beans...do not wear chest high waders! (That gem of wisdom is probably not in the book.)

Dennis

Mike S.
    And to that......"Be glad for the chance to live and love and enjoy the outdoors, remembering that the success of a day in the woods (or on the water rafting) is not always measured by a full game sack.".....surely we can all agree to that...

Dennis
    Dennis, surely a man of your experience knows that successful hunters must GET OUT OF THE BOAT, which puts them IN THE WOODS (or on the tundra, etc.) It's all the same... and yes, "success" means something completely different from the "whack 'em and stack 'em" mentality...

:-))

-Mike

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Mike S.
    And to that......"Be glad for the chance to live and love and enjoy the outdoors, remembering that the success of a day in the woods (or on the water rafting) is not always measured by a full game sack.".....surely we can all agree to that.

Vince,
    Bear Stew and Beans...do not wear chest high waders! (That gem of wisdom is probably not in the book.)

Dennis

Or...

when making bear and bean bubble bath.... keep it pointed down stream
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Received my order of books today - OOD has had some pretty fast shipping. Each time I've ordered I've received a package in about 48 hours!! Not a bad turn around time.

Regarding the comments above - I'm also not a 'fan' of snaring, but I don't oppose it as a wildlife management tool when all else either fails or just isn't working. If it's legal, I'm OK with it as long as those doing it are both legal and ethical in how they do what they do. Personally, I enjoy reading all I can on bears, hunting, and management techniques which is why I ordered the book.

Personally, I'm glad to see Mike/OOD working to offer as much as possible to the outdoor community. All to often we as hunters and outdoorsman allow ourselves and specific user groups to become divided over disagreements in the ways others hunt and use our natural resources. This, IMO helps the anti-hunting agenda conquer us one step at a time.

As outdoorsman, we're stronger together than apart and need to respect everyone who legally hunts, traps, snare's, etc.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

wolfwatching

Bear stew or not; bear snaring is unethical if not incomprehensible.. Forgive me, I have not read the book yet but the title makes me cringe.. Perhaps the sportsman’s wet dream but the idealists worst thought.. What happened to respect?? Oh was that C. Brockman’s idea in GMU16.. If so, tell him I’m pissed..Yep, he'll know who I AM..
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Dennis, surely a man of your experience knows that successful hunters must GET OUT OF THE BOAT, which puts them IN THE WOODS (or on the tundra, etc.) It's all the same... and yes, "success" means something completely different from the "whack 'em and stack 'em" mentality...

:-))

-Mike

Watching...............perhaps you could expand on why snaring bears is unethical. How does it compare to snaring other species?
    Should human predators killing to provide for themselves and their kin be held to a different level of ethics than other predators doing the same?

wolfwatching

I tend to overemphasize my predators..as always..I believe, for whatever reason, they are there for a reason. I have not researched enough to even comprehend the subject but my first and foremost instinct is that it’s wrong! By the paw in 16 I hear?!!And how many days?? I find the entire topic distasteful.. Such and such, behold the consequence..My time is your time and your time is mine..YAWN..
    More later..
    It seems I believe in romanticism whereas romanticism is lost…

wolfwatching

Should human predators be held to a different conscience? What do you think? You don’t see the wolves on a forum board discussing how to wipe out another species to benefit themselves do you? I have a martin on my wall.. I traded a hand-beaded, decorated bone tip spear for them..not really it was a ‘friendship’ thing but… LOL; what do you think?? I also have a fox from Dillingham, an Otter from King Salmon, and a Coyote that I sent to GA to get rid of the **** thing..

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Watching...............perhaps you could expand on why snaring bears is unethical. How does it compare to snaring other species?
    Should human predators killing to provide for themselves and their kin be held to a different level of ethics than other predators doing the same?

wolfwatching

There is no benefit from bear snaring..If anything it is so extreme it will do NOTHING but turn the activist’s eyes on our Alaskan trappers.. Since we live in the world we do it will do nothing but harm the entire concept of trapping which, when done right, is extremely difficult and takes huge effort.. What I don’t want to see is some city cowboy out there hanging a bear by the paw because he read some **** book. Bear snaring??? LOL; trapping is a huge undertaking done right..Imagine it done wrong??
    Respect..for the concept and the ART takes years and years and generally only done when there is a benefit to family and kin.. Not a competitive sport but a personal endeavor.. Sorry, but I welcome thoughts and an education.. To me, there is no such thing, thank god, as predator management.. SHE always takes care of her own.. Lets not push that too far..

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwatching View Post
    Should human predators be held to a different conscience? What do you think? You don’t see the wolves on a forum board discussing how to wipe out another species to benefit themselves do you? I have a martin on my wall.. I traded a hand-beaded, decorated bone tip spear for them..not really it was a ‘friendship’ thing but… LOL; what do you think?? I also have a fox from Dillingham, an Otter from King Salmon, and a Coyote that I sent to GA to get rid of the **** thing..

She? Are we governed by SHE? If so, isn't what we do under her watch?

So snaring a lynx would take large amounts of experience to learn..............but bear snaring is easy?

wolfwatching

SHE is a figure of speech for a concept, truly! Is a lynx different from a bear? I say yes – a bear can kick you’re *****; The first predators to go, and generally, the most ecologically important are the wolves and the bears. They are the historically fear producing and threatening i.e. the first to be exterminated. NO one blames the lynx or the coyote.. My only point eh?? And not a strong one..
    Your time is my time and my time is yours...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    She? Are we governed by SHE? If so, isn't what we do under her watch?

So snaring a lynx would take large amounts of experience to learn..............but bear snaring is easy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast