Thread: 870 Finish Work by Hunt_AK

Default 870 Finish Work by Hunt_AK

I recently bought this old 1969 model 870 Wingmaster from Northern Security. Well it looked like it had been around the world, mush less the block. I guess it was a trooper or APD gun. Well I got with Kyle and he says he can finish it up pretty good for me. Well, here it is in all its glory for you guys to check out. If the receiver looks like its "shadowed", its because I sand blasted it before finishing it. Kyle really did a great job here if I do have to gush a little bit. I am tickled with this shotgun. I had planned to trick it all out and make a rig that Steve at AK Tactical would be proud of, but after oil finishing the stocks, and seeing the metal finish, I decided to keep it looking 1969 all the way. I bought a new front sight with a white bead but it doesn't fit the dovetail no matter how much I take off. I think there are about 10 coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil on the wood. That took me weeks. I did one coat per day, then steel wooled it back down til no flaws were in that coat, then go again. I could have added more coats as there are two good sized rakes on the stock, but for what? I am proud of this thing and hope ya'll like it too. It's in the corner of our bedroom full of 5 00 Buck if anyone wants a closer look..
    Thanks Kyle! Great job man!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good bro.

Default Very nicely done

Old 870s never die, they just keep pumping away....

Default Yeah

Yeah, that looks nice, cool to keep the '69 look

Thanks for the pictures, made my evening to get a look at a nice old woodstock 870 Wingmaster,

I was gonna say, "I've got one just like that....." but nah, mine doesn't look nearly that nice.

What an excellent Firearm, that 870 is
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good call on keepin' her 'old school'...

Great work on the wood! **jealous, and logs in memory bank to look for old 870**

Default 870

Thanks a lot guys. I am glad I left it like that. I sort of wish I had left the finish slick, like a Wingmaster is, but it was pretty beat up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm really glad you didnt cut it up! Those older 870's are great. Are you sure of the vintage? I thought the "tootsie roll" forearms were stopped in 1963 in the wingmasters, unless I am way off base here or they put them on police guns? I dont know but I sure am intrigued. Anyways, good job on a GREAT shotgun. I bet when you rack that slide it doesnt sound like any of the newer guns- QUALITY in those old ones!

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I'm really glad you didnt cut it up! Those older 870's are great. Are you sure of the vintage? I thought the "tootsie roll" forearms were stopped in 1963 in the wingmasters, unless I am way off base here or they put them on police guns? I dont know but I sure am intrigued. Anyways, good job on a GREAT shotgun. I bet when you rack that slide it doesnt sound like any of the newer guns- QUALITY in those old ones!

Yeah, I am sure it's a '69. I looked it up, and called Remington. yeah, your right, it has a neat sound and feel when you "shuck" it. It is definitely a police gun, but the armorers may have traded out different stocks or forearms over the years. As good as the old ones were, they do break when you keep bashing drunk idiots heads in with it.

Got her in there, eh? What was in the dovetail prior?

Default Sight blade

Awww, that is the original so I put it back in for now. It's all beat up and doesn't fit very tight. I wanted a new Williams, Lyman, or Marbles with a white bead. I have a Marbles but the dovetail is very wide. Kind of odd to me, I thought a 3/8's is a 3/8's. I'll let Steve look at it when I get time.