Thread: Zodiac/Achilles type craft running the Yukon

Default Zodiac/Achilles type craft running the Yukon

I have an 11' 2" Achilles (1650 pound payload) with a 15 hp 2 stroke that I intend on using this sept on the Yukon (and tribs). This thing should have no problem loading a whole moose, me, and gear, but I dont think it will push this weight against the current with the 15. Probably looking at 2 trips. Just curious what some here have done on the Yukon with a craft such as this. Upriver and loaded is the only way back to civilization.

Dont know how far you are going down??? But you could look at flying some gear back out of one of the villages.

I am deffinately flying meat and gear out. But I still need to boat everything to the village. I'm a little on the low side, powerwise, but this also works in my favor on getting up into small trib waters. Just curious to hear what other fellas have used for inflatbles and horsepower on the Yukon, in it's powerfull current.

RMK

Default That sounds a little light

I have a 25 on my Zodiak, and I've loaded it with as much gear as I could stuff, a caribou, and two people. It got going, but was slow to get on the step.

I'd borrow a bigger engine if I could. A short shaft 25 or 35 shouldn't draw any more than a 15 horse. I just put my 25 on tilt, and putt up the shallow stuff.

It sounds like a fun trip. I'd just hate to get stuck with an overloaded boat, and not enough power to get back.

Default rmk

How far on the yukon did you run in your zodiac?

What did you do for fuel?

Yukon is fast moving and if your gonna use that 15hp I'd head down river or get a 35hp. Even the 25 is if'y when loaded down.
    Food for thought, why not get dropped off in Fort Yukon and float down to the bridge and possibly have some one meet you there for pick up?