Thread: Grizzly/Black bear questions from newbie

Default Grizzly/Black bear questions from newbie

Will admit that I have never hunted bear. Have hunted whitetails all my life and now have done some bou hunting since coming to Alaska. In fact it was information provided in this formum from all of you that enabled us to have a successful and enjoyable first caribou hunt (DIY). My son and his friend are coming up from FL and we are looking at area 13. Is May/June a good time to hunt this area? My preference (bucket list) is a grizzly but it appears most of you favor blacks. Is that based strictly on the meat quality? Is baiting a better method than glassing and stalking? Any additional comments or general knowledge would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

13 is a big area, time frame is good, depending on how you plan on accessing whatever area you wanna hunt and your budget. ice will still be on most lakes over 3000 feet till early june, so float planes are limited. wheel planes are good, but not to many access points. fourwheelers is a good route, but more people there..so kinda need some more details other than unit 13 and may/june...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Can't bait brown bears either.
    Paul