Thread: A CZ 550 actually has six round capacity (didn't know this)

Default A CZ 550 actually has six round capacity (didn't know this)

I was loading up the CZ 9.3X62 Mauser Carbine and discovered that if you push a Sixth cartridge on top of the 5 already loaded into the internal magazine.......they actually go down far enough for the mauser extractor to grab ahold of that sixth round and take her home into the chamber. I cycled the rifle four times at varying speeds and everytime.....flawless function! I always thought that five rounds was the max with this CRF rifle.......not the case! It sure does feel hefty though with 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Before any of the girlscouts chime in......this is obviously the case with ONLY the standard sized cartridges................

I was looking at that very rifle a couple of years back, but since then I have added a Ruger M77 MK II in .350 Remington Magnum, A .340 Weatherby Magnum Mark V, and most recently a Marlin 1895GBL in 45/70...so I think I have that niche pretty well covered but if I could come across one at the right price I would still be sorely tempted...

That rifle with a 5 or 6 TSX down in it would be awful formidable though.

If I remember right I had a 458 in the shop I converted to Lott and it would hold 5 down, I too was amazed. I guess those 550,s have a big belly for a reason.

I think they are advertised as holding five down in standard calibers. I don't think you can close the bolt on the sixth round, holding it down for an empty chamber, but you can certainly close the bolt and load the chamber and leave five in the box. A nice rifle in the 9.3x62.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think they are advertised as holding five down in standard calibers. I don't think you can close the bolt on the sixth round, holding it down for an empty chamber, but you can certainly close the bolt and load the chamber and leave five in the box. A nice rifle in the 9.3x62.
    I know it sounds crazy but im telling yah......I loaded 5 rounds in the magazine.......pushed a sixth round right on top of the fully loaded mag (the sixth round doesnt actually go into the magazine).......and voila......the CRF road it right into the chamber. I cyled the rifle four times because I couldnt believe it.............
    but I get what you're saying, and no you cant actually load the rifle with sixth in the magazine with an empty chamber......It would be 5 in the mag with an empty chamber.......or 5 in the mag with the sixth being in the chamber.

maybe I should youtube a video.

I can't think of anything not to like about these rifles. I have one in 270, and I love it. I killed my moose with it last year, and I'll probably take it caribou hunting this year.
    Very nice rifles for a very reasonable price.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I can't think of anything not to like about these rifles. I have one in 270, and I love it. I killed my moose with it last year, and I'll probably take it caribou hunting this year.
    Very nice rifles for a very reasonable price.
    I really can't think of anything either. back in the "Army Army" days....one moment you could be behind 1 of 8 different weapons(with different safeties).......so I never understood the girlscouts who could "whine" about the safety going in the opposite direction of a three postion ruger safety......just deal with it! Other than the supposed "odd safety" (boohoo)....there really isnt much I can gripe about. The wood, the style, the accuracy, quality, the trigger, the overall weight.......everything is perfect. I guess one minor gripe is that they don't have an actual short action.....but luckily.....wanting a 9.3X62 bad enough defeated that gripe.....I just wouldnt buy one chambered for a short action cartridge. It's crazy.....they go from a standard action.......right down to a micro action........and completely skip over a short action. A 1.5-6 powered 30 mm tubed scope.......and my dream carbine is done.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I know it sounds crazy but im telling yah......I loaded 5 rounds in the magazine.......pushed a sixth round right on top of the fully loaded mag (the sixth round doesnt actually go into the magazine).......and voila......the CRF road it right into the chamber. I cyled the rifle four times because I couldnt believe it.............
    but I get what you're saying, and no you cant actually load the rifle with sixth in the magazine with an empty chamber......It would be 5 in the mag with an empty chamber.......or 5 in the mag with the sixth being in the chamber.

maybe I should youtube a video.
    Yes it will load the sixth in the box and CRF it into the chamber. What you can't do (I think) is load six then "fret" the sixth down and close on an empty chamber. Should you ever want to carry the rifle with full mag and clear chamber, you would need to just load five. Try that. No need for youtube, I have a few CZ rifles to play with, including a 9.3x62.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I thought CZ switched their safeties to go the same way as everyone else's???

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes it will load the sixth in the box and CRF it into the chamber. What you can't do (I think) is load six then "fret" the sixth down and close on an empty chamber. Should you ever want to carry the rifle with full mag and clear chamber, you would need to just load five. Try that. No need for youtube, I have a few CZ rifles to play with, including a 9.3x62.

does your 9.3 have that recoil pad that is kind of "honey combed"? The reason why I ask is because I shot my 9.3 for the first time and the recoil felt like a 308 I dont know if it's that bavarian style stock, the recoil pad, or the 7lb. weight of this carbine (or a combo of all three). I just can't believe how low the recoil is on this gun when it is pushing a 286 grain bullet. I only shot it once to check how close the open sights were to these lapua megas that I bought from Wild West. I aimed at the tip of a 2 inch alder that was sticking out of the silt about 85 yards away and hit it dead on, what was more surprising was the absence of kick. It actually kicks less than my 358 BLR......much much less. I've felt 30-06's that kicked more than this rifle.......it was more of a "torquey push" than anything.