Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we get a picture?! (2010 Bear only)

Default Can we get a picture?! (2010 Bear only)

I just know I have one on my Cuddeback but I won't be able to get down to the Kenai until Sunday! It's driving me nuts!

Taylor

Default Didn't ...

put my camera's up, but will this weekend. Hoping to send you a picture of DEAD things!

I am going down tommorow evening to put my camera out. The bait has been out for a week, but I doubt anything has hit it yet. Last year it was pretty late in the season before they started hitting it.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default No bait

Did not even have bait in the barrel... I'm guessing this youngin' has learned from his life with momma - and remembered.

Too bad there aren't any Brown bears on the Kenai pen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Did not even have bait in the barrel... I'm guessing this youngin' has learned from his life with momma - and remembered.

"Charlie the Chicken'Eater". Please feed him lots of dog food. He will live longer if you do. This will be his second summer on his own.

Default Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    "Charlie the Chicken'Eater". Please feed him lots of dog food. He will live longer if you do. This will be his second summer on his own.
    It's so nice that you've named the bear; at least this way I'll know what to call him when he walks through the site. Kind of like we're already friends.

Stupid bears.

Threw about 150# of feed in the barrel last night. If he comes back it won't last long.

It's so nice that you've named the bear; at least this way I'll know what to call him when he walks through the site. Kind of like we're already friends.

Stupid bears.

Threw about 150# of feed in the barrel last night. If he comes back it won't last long.
    I was going to wait (because "WE" need more bears terminated) till the baiting season was over to advise everyone of some relevant information, However..........based on many (about 40)years of studying the bears on the south shore of Turnagain Arm/Upper Kenai Peninsula & general Hope & "Hope Road" area, I feel that as of 2007/2008 there are more Brown Bears than Black Bears. This was based on tracks and number of each species sighted, and to a lesser extent the number of each hit and killed by vehicles. But there are still a lot of Black Bears, so keep up the good work men.

Default Concur

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    ... need more bears terminated

...there are more Brown Bears than Black Bears.
    At my site; of the 69 events in 2009, 34 were brown.
    I defined an 'event' as: distinctly different hits; ie more than 1 hour elapsed between photo/video shots, obviously a different bear, etc.

At my site; of the 69 events in 2009, 34 were brown.
    I defined an 'event' as: distinctly different hits; ie more than 1 hour elapsed between photo/video shots, obviously a different bear, etc.
    Yes, that is consistent with my visual sightings. Sadly if something is not done to hunter harvest the Brown Bears, then the "Unreported" DLP terminations will rise via the farmers/ranchers and this is "No-Joy" for anyone, least of all the Brown Bears, to suffer such an indignant and senseless termination. I would like to see ten (10) permits a year just for Six Mile Creek drainage.

Thanks for the pix, Stogey. Probably what I'm going to find at my keg this weekend!

Taylor

-[]--------->

Default right?

Thanks for the pic Stogey,

so do I interpret this right, this IS down on the Kenai? Just Curious,

Also, once the Brown Bears move in are the Blackies moving on or does it continue to be interspersed between the Brown and Blacks? Does that make sense, do the Browns intimidate the Black Bears out of the area?
    meaning the local area like your bait station and camera events. I lived upriver of Talkeetna for a while and remember it seemed like, once there was a Grizz down on the River, the Blacks were nervous

so wonder how that affects your baiting? or if it does at all
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I put my bait out last weekend off the Elliot and checked it yesterday. Here is my visitor!
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (49.9 KB, 370 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (44.9 KB, 344 views)

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
    I put my bait out last weekend off the Elliot and checked it yesterday. Here is my visitor!
    Gonna be a bunch of that this year up there. There is less snow in the hills/mtns off the Elliot Hway than I have ever seen this early. To me that spells grizzlys hitting baits early before blacks. It poured rain all the way from the Dalton cutoff to Manley the other day, lots of water flowing in them creeks, and it wasn't even the 1st of May yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Gonna be a bunch of that this year up there. There is less snow in the hills/mtns off the Elliot Hway than I have ever seen this early. To me that spells grizzlys hitting baits early before blacks. It poured rain all the way from the Dalton cutoff to Manley the other day, lots of water flowing in them creeks, and it wasn't even the 1st of May yet.
    I hope not! I seem to have a hidden talent of finding and feeding grizzlies. 2 years ago one punished me for letting the barrel run dry and chewed on my camera. Got great pictures, but it sure would be nice if I could get some black bears to finally partake in the feast I specifically prepare for them!

Default ? Pix?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Thanks for the pix, Stogey. Probably what I'm going to find at my keg this weekend!

Taylor

-[]--------->
    The weekend is nearing termination; pictures? Yes, I'm impatient. Grin.

Hope you're skinning out a porker.

Rob

Default Hope

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks for the pic Stogey,

so do I interpret this right, this IS down on the Kenai? Just Curious,

Also, once the Brown Bears move in are the Blackies moving on or does it continue to be interspersed between the Brown and Blacks? Does that make sense, do the Browns intimidate the Black Bears out of the area?
    meaning the local area like your bait station and camera events. I lived upriver of Talkeetna for a while and remember it seemed like, once there was a Grizz down on the River, the Blacks were nervous

so wonder how that affects your baiting? or if it does at all
    Yep, on the Hope road... albeit on the Northern edge, it is on the Kenai Pen.

The brown and black bears seem to get along okay, until the brown starts 'marking' the area. Then then black bears seem to gain a bit of healthy respect for the bait.
    Then the black bears are in fact nervous and begin to adjust their feeding patterns. Watching the trail cam videos they are on high alert the entire time they feed.

They still come, but are much less predictable.

Good luck!

Default Stratocaster

Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
    I hope not! I seem to have a hidden talent of finding and feeding grizzlies. 2 years ago one punished me for letting the barrel run dry and chewed on my camera. Got great pictures, but it sure would be nice if I could get some black bears to finally partake in the feast I specifically prepare for them!

I also have the grizzly talent.

Alaskacub I sure hope your wrong about the Elliot. I finally moved north this year. If there is a griz around I will feed him! Hillbilly

I wasn't implying that you wont have blacks in the bait, just seems that on these low snow years the griz get out and about before the blacks and as its sounds like you know, they wreak havoc on a bait station. I had one eating me out of house and home a couple years ago. He even came into the bait while we were in stand. He eventually disappeared and then the blacks start rolling in. Them griz are just a huge pain in the azz when it comes to bear baits!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I wasn't implying that you wont have blacks in the bait, just seems that on these low snow years the griz get out and about before the blacks and as its sounds like you know, they wreak havoc on a bait station. I had one eating me out of house and home a couple years ago. He even came into the bait while we were in stand. He eventually disappeared and then the blacks start rolling in. Them griz are just a huge pain in the azz when it comes to bear baits!
    Attached are the ones that ate me out of house and home in 08. You will notice one cub somehow squeezed inside the feed hole and you can see his foot hanging out!
    As for this year, hopefully the biggest baddest and meanest black bear in the state comes in, scares the griz out and poses broadside for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast