Thread: Ketchikan Fly Fishing

Default Ketchikan Fly Fishing

Just joined the forum, so sorry for any noob questions. Browsing with the search feature seeing what I can learn. I'm an avid steelbow fishermen out East here. Coming up to Alaska in June. We'll be in Ketchikan the 16th and are trying to put together a day trip.

Any advice on local fly fishing guides or what's in? Like to get into some real "steelhead", and/or cutthroats.

Have calls into Family Air Tours and World Wide Fishing but haven't heard back from them yet as to what's available.

I did a trip to Ketchikan last summer (as a noob) and had a great time. We flew out to a cabin using Southeast Aviation, and the guy who runs that company, Jim, is very knowledgeable and friendly. He can either fly you to some great fishing areas or direct you towards someone who can. As far as fishing, I took a guided day trip and caught about 25 fish in one day, which helped numb my sense of outrage about how much I paid for that half day trip. I went with Hook Up guide service

I also spent a couple of hours fishing the outlet at Ward Lake and had some good luck.

Hope you enjoy your trip
    Matt

I flew with Dave from Family Air last week. Great guy and very knowledgeable about the area and fly fishing in general. Flight was expensive as hell though, but I think everyone in that area is.

As far as steelies most of the runs are occurring as we speak. I don't think you will find much in June. I think some of the rivers have a fall run as well. I am sure you will be able to find all other manners of Rainbow, cutthroat, dolly etc though.

cool... thanks for the replies. Wasn't sure if salmon or steelhead would be in or not at that time. From what i'm reading cutty's and bows will be our best bet. Fine with me, general price I'm finding is about $500 for about 4 hours fishing... it is what it is I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    I flew with Dave from Family Air last week. Great guy and very knowledgeable about the area and fly fishing in general. Flight was expensive as hell though, but I think everyone in that area is..

I am flying with him next Wednesday for week of steelheading myself, reason I picked him is he was cheaper than most others. If you were offended by his prices, stay away from Dillingham or Kotzebue

Timo, talk to Dave at Family Air. Good guy, shoot him an email via his website. He communicates with email better than any other bush pilot I have used. Nice guy and a fisherman too. He will give you some options for your day trip. Mid June should bring many options to the table for you. If you could swing a few days in a remote USFS cabin, that would be my suggestion. Scenery, solitude, fishing, etc.. Dave rents camp kits as well so you don't have to haul your own gear. Price list for flights to/from some of the more popular cabins on his website. Take a look perhaps.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

personally I'd go with Doyon of mistyfjordsaviation
    http://mistyfjordsair.com/
    or Ryan McCue of alaska seaplane tours
    http://www.alaskaseaplanetours.com/fishingpage.htm

Thanks for all the info... we went with The Hook Up Fly Shop... 10 days and counting I can't wait.

Hope to have some pics to post when we get back.