Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: 300 weatherby or 338 win mag

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default 300 weatherby or 338 win mag

    well im in a rut here on which caliber i want i know the 300 is flater shooting but the 338 is a heavier bullet i have my 7mm rem mag for moose and blacks here on the peninsula i need a gun for brownies not really sure exactly which caliber i want or shall i say need any suggestions guys

  2. #2

    Default

    Get a .340 Weatherby and have both.

    I have both the .300 Weatherby and the .340 and if I had to choose just one it would be the .340.

    You already have a 7mm Remington Magnum so adding a .30 caliber wouldn't accomplish very much imho.

    The .340 is extremely versatile with bullet weights ranging from 160gr. TTSX all the way up to 300.

    I have a 225gr. TTSX load that shoots over 3200fps out my rifle and is a real

    The recoil difference between the two is not all that much unless you are sitting on the bench, but even then it is still manageable.

  3. #3
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    I agree that if you already have a 7mmRM a 30 cal anything is not much better. The 338WM shooting 250gr Partitions is a big time bear killer.

    If you can find a 338 Lapua Mag in a hunting weight you will have a flat shooting hard hitting 338 that shoots 250gr bullets at 3000fps delivering more energy than 375's. McMillan is making one in a long range hunter but it's a bit heavy and around $5,000.00

    There is a Rem 700 338LM on gun broker, price is reasonable, get it!

    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=167001119

  4. #4
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    .340 or .375. (but nothing wrong with a .300Weatherby either...3 bear rugs, and plenty of moose/caribou have gone in the freezer to prove it). GREAT round with good 200gr partitions. Any .3xxWeatherby gets MY vote.

  5. #5
    Member BAR300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    319

    Default get both

    purchase both and never look back....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    The .338WM is plenty flat. For example Federal loads with 180-grain bullets (loads for smaller game such as deer and pronghorn at long range) hit the 500-yard mark within 2" of a similarly constructed bullet and weight launched from a .300WM (both rifles sighted the same). These loads produce 3120 fps at the muzzle.

    But for moose, you can use bullets from 210 grains up to 300 grains. My favorite is a 225-grain TSX as an all around bullet, while a 250-grain Partition works for just about anything in Alaska. For bears alone, it's hard to beat a 250-grain A-Frame, or a 250-grain TSX, or a Partition Gold. For anything much closer, a 300-grain Woodleigh loaded around 2500 fps provides plenty of punch.

    What makes the .338 so versatile and one of the top Alaska cartridges are the following:

    -Easy to reload, and relatively cheap brass for it
    -Lots of different bullet weights and construction
    -Manageable recoil, specially with one a Weatherby stock

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm curious why a 300 Wby and not a 300 WM or 300 RUM? They are both more common than the Wby mag and have cheaper ammo, especially the WM. Or why not the 340 Wby if you are considering the 300 Wby? If I was going after Brownies I would be very comfortable with a 300 RUM and a 180 E-Tip which I would match against any 338 WM load. If I wanted to step up past a 300 mag just for brownies, I would probably go right to a 375 RUM and a 300 gr TSX... well actually, I would go with a GS HV 300.

    In response to a previous post about a 180 gr bullet in a 338 cal, it will have a low SD and BC. The 300 Wby will have greater energy from 50 yds down range and beyond. The drop difference at 500 yds (not that it matters) would be about 4" if zeroed @ 200 yds. The difference would be much greater if zeroed at 100 yds. And the 300 180 gr bullet would have a much greater SD. The 300 RUM would exceed the 338 WM in all aspects (except frontal area) by a good margin from the muzzle on out. If i was to use a 338 WM or any other 338 cartridge, my minimum bullet weight would be 225, and preferred would be 250 or more.

    Between the 300 Wby and the 338 WM... if and when you shoot the big brownie critter, I don't you or he will notice much difference and if you put the bullet(s) in the right place it should be uneventful. My choice would be a 300 RUM or 375 RUM.

    And there is a considerable difference between the 300 RUM and the 7 RM, I own both.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    In relation to the .338WM Federal 180-grain load, I was talking about pronghorn and small deer, not bears, moose, and bison
    I would never use a 180-grain .338-caliber bullet for these animals.

    For a .375 H&H I would use a 300-grain Partition, .270-grain TSX, or a 300-grain A-Frame. With a .338WM, I would use a tough bullet starting at 210-grain TSX and ending at 300 grains with a Woodleigh.

    An in relation to the most common calibers used by Alaska hunters, I would refer the OP to this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=70526

  9. #9
    Member c04hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already: how flat the trajectory is SHOULD NOT be a factor in a brown bear rifle IMO. You should be close enough that trajectory won't matter. I would agree that buying a .300 is probably not the way to go since you already have a 7mm. I would go for the .375 if it was me, .338 at the least.

  10. #10
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Both calibers are hard to argue against isn't it great to have so many great calibers to choose from. The .338 Lapua is going to be a great all around contender in 10 years when there are lots of new and used rifles to choose from.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  11. #11

    Default 338 vs 300 weatherby

    I would say the 338 winchester is a bit or much better for the tough brownies.. I am not sure that I would have any weatherby and especially the 300 it is no better than the 300 win. and the short mags are just a fad and they will not be here long.. the ultra mags are the same short lived.. there is only one good weatherby and that is the 375 and it was discontinued many years ago.. all the rest of them the winchester, remington and norma magnums are superior..

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trixie Mississippi View Post
    I would say the 338 winchester is a bit or much better for the tough brownies.. I am not sure that I would have any weatherby and especially the 300 it is no better than the 300 win. and the short mags are just a fad and they will not be here long.. the ultra mags are the same short lived.. there is only one good weatherby and that is the 375 and it was discontinued many years ago.. all the rest of them the winchester, remington and norma magnums are superior..
    I would take issue with the fact that the .300 Weatherby is no better than the Winchester.

    If you take into consideration the fact that the OP is talking about bears and BIG bullets the .300 Weatherby will start to step away an awful lot from the Winchester when you get into the various 200gr. bullets and heavier. It can push the 200gr. TSX out at over 3000fps. I think it would really shine with the 240gr. Woodleigh.

    And on a personally personal note I think the .300 Winchester Magnum is one of the UGLIEST cartridges ever devised...but that is just my opinion lol.

  13. #13

    Default the ONE 73

    Yes, you are right about the beauty of the 300 win mag, it was an ill design by winchester in the 60,s. they had the beautiful 264 case and it in a 30 mag would be the 308 norma.. now that is the 30 mag of all 30 mags.. beauty and usefull with full power for all 30 cal bullets on a simple 63 mm case,, but the engineers at Winchester wanted to compete with the weatherby so they made the case a bit longer from 2.494 to 2.62 trying to look like the weatherby.. ugly yes but with the great powders abailable today it will do anything your weatherby will do.. and you must remember that all weatherbys came with 26" tubes and a lot of free boring.. and a god awful stock design made only for photo's not for hunting...In the 50's before the 308 norma and the 300 win. , yes the 300 weatherby was the king on the hill especially in a custom non free bored well stocked rifle..
    but progress has come along and the ungly 300 winchester with a short neck well it is just a good and takes less fuel to do the same thing.. short magnums are like their names short lived and the ultra mags are too short lived... I am sure a 338 winchester in a 26" tube will do the same as the 340 weatherby with out all the fuss and stuff.. you must remember the weatherbys are all P O Acklleys long magnums with the ventura shoulder. and the free boring is to relieve the high pressure and when you do this you reduce velocity. and accuracy.. the most accurate weatherbys today are the Vanguards and they mostly come in the standard cal.. WHY

  14. #14
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default .338 or .375...

    My previous post was based on pure sentiment.
    The smarter play would probably be the .338.
    So, it depends...logic (.338) or sentiment (.300wby).

    The reason I think the .338 is better (for you) is just a couple things.
    Ammo cost is slightly less with the .338.
    Ammo availability is much better.
    Both are proven cartridges...esp. with good bullets.

    IF I lived on the peninsula, and already had a 7mm, I'd go with a .375 though.
    .338 could replace the 7mm as well, but then (arguably) so could the .375.
    Do you do any Sheep hunting? Yes (.338), No (.375).

  15. #15
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I would take issue with the fact that the .300 Weatherby is no better than the Winchester.

    If you take into consideration the fact that the OP is talking about bears and BIG bullets the .300 Weatherby will start to step away an awful lot from the Winchester when you get into the various 200gr. bullets and heavier. It can push the 200gr. TSX out at over 3000fps. I think it would really shine with the 240gr. Woodleigh.
    I have to agree with you! The .300wtby is MUCH better than the .300winmag. And much more expensive.

    I have seen what the .300wtby can do...with the right bullets.
    Good for all Alaska game.

    .338winmag is about equal to it, and too close to call (my personal opinion).

    But, (all sentiment aside) for Browns on the peninsula, I'd still go .375HH.

  16. #16

    Default

    A 300Wby is better than the 300Win using heavier for caliber bullets so of the two I would choose the 300Wby for brown or anything I would hunt that is that dangerous.

    A 340Wby is better than the 338Win mag all around even if the 388Win mag has a 26" barrel. I own both the 338Win and 340Wby and the 338Win can not nor ever will out run, out punch or out do the 340Wby period. I am driving a 250gr bullet over 3000 feet per second out of my 340Wby with a 26" barrel and the 338Win (which I love as a cartridge) can not hold a candle to the 340Wby and that makes the 340Wby the choice between the two when it comes to Brown bears if you want the one that is more across the board.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trixie Mississippi View Post
    Yes, you are right about the beauty of the 300 win mag, it was an ill design by winchester in the 60,s. they had the beautiful 264 case and it in a 30 mag would be the 308 norma.. now that is the 30 mag of all 30 mags.. beauty and usefull with full power for all 30 cal bullets on a simple 63 mm case,, but the engineers at Winchester wanted to compete with the weatherby so they made the case a bit longer from 2.494 to 2.62 trying to look like the weatherby.. ugly yes but with the great powders abailable today it will do anything your weatherby will do.. and you must remember that all weatherbys came with 26" tubes and a lot of free boring.. and a god awful stock design made only for photo's not for hunting...In the 50's before the 308 norma and the 300 win. , yes the 300 weatherby was the king on the hill especially in a custom non free bored well stocked rifle..
    but progress has come along and the ungly 300 winchester with a short neck well it is just a good and takes less fuel to do the same thing.. short magnums are like their names short lived and the ultra mags are too short lived... I am sure a 338 winchester in a 26" tube will do the same as the 340 weatherby with out all the fuss and stuff.. you must remember the weatherbys are all P O Acklleys long magnums with the ventura shoulder. and the free boring is to relieve the high pressure and when you do this you reduce velocity. and accuracy.. the most accurate weatherbys today are the Vanguards and they mostly come in the standard cal.. WHY
    Well you certainly have an opinion on Weatherbys I will give you that.

    As far as the "x" will do the same nothing makes up for case capacity...to a point.

    The stock design as far as I am concerned is pure genius when it comes to HEAVY recoiling rifles. The stock comes away from your cheek and face thereby minimizing "felt" recoil substantially.

    I have a chronographed 225gr. Tipped TSX load that does 3200fps+ out of the pictured .340 Weatherby Magnum w/26" barrel. When you duplicate that out of the same length .338 WM please be sure to let us know.

    Now I am not saying that there is anything wrong with either the .300WM or .338 WM, but let's not make them something they aren't.

  18. #18

    Default Just answer the following

    Roy Weatherby was a great man with lot os very exciting values for firearms.. not doubt.
    my neighbor had the 0001 weatherby it was a 30/06 built on a german commerical 98 action. more and lickley the best weatherby ever produced... no I am not taking any shine or gloss off the weatherby's but most of his stuff was just bull..... now I know that you can get higer velocitys but check you cup's or the psi on this and see what is normal no more than 52000 cups and noe tell me the facts..

  19. #19

    Default 358 norma

    it shoot flat enough and it will kill all animals on this planet.. it will put the weaterbys to shame and the recoil is less than a 338 win mag.. plus it is 358 not 338.

  20. #20
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trixie Mississippi View Post
    it shoot flat enough and it will kill all animals on this planet.. it will put the weaterbys to shame and the recoil is less than a 338 win mag.. plus it is 358 not 338.
    I like the 358 NM and have consider my "need" of having one in the safe. However, this need is not due to less recoil. It fires the same weight bullets 100+ fps faster than the 338 and uses more powder in the bargain. In similar rifles of equal weight the 358 NM will always have more recoil than a 338 WM, not less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •