Thread: We're talking sheepskin...

Default We're talking sheepskin...

The thick stuff, fleece on, the type they use for partial seat covers in automobiles.

I ran into a local who swears by it. He cuts it into strips, the size dependent on the hook and quarry, either for mooching or the bottom, especially for halibut.

He soaks them in processed fish oil stink.

Think about that one. They don't get nibbled off the hook and they undulate in the current with scent attration similar to a natural bait...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Yeah. We've been using synthetic sponges cut into strips the same way for close to 30 years, IIRC. I even know longliners that add a hunk of soaked sponge above their baits for the same reason. Plain old herring oil seems to be best, as well as cheap. Plain mineral oil isn't bad either.

I'm betting icelandic sheepskin would be best with its long, straight hair. We use it all the time for jigs, streamers and tube flies, and it beats the snot out of bucktail, both for tough and lively.

Just cut a square oil absorbant pad (sell at NAPA auto parts, etc.) into squares or strips and soak in herring oil. Stays on the hook and the pad retains the oil while repelling water.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Just cut a square oil absorbant pad (sell at NAPA auto parts, etc.) into squares or strips and soak in herring oil. Stays on the hook and the pad retains the oil while repelling water.
    Interesting. Wouldn't you want the pad to release the oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Here is what we buy. The hair is close to 6" long and takes dye really well. And a $94 hide translates into a whole lot of fishing and fly tying. Years worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Interesting. Wouldn't you want the pad to release the oil?
    It seems to release it slowly.

Default Almost blew it...

We are preparing for our own garage sale in a week or so. Glad I saw Brown Bear's recommendation as we were going to try to sell one of those sheep skins that someone sent us from NZ for $5.00. Good tip, its now in my kit.

Good thing! It's the closest thing to polar bear that walks the planet. You'll love it. Seems to do just fine with RIT dye for most colors, provided you use hot water and set the color with vinegar.