Thread: C130 seats for a boat?

Default C130 seats for a boat?

I am curious if anyone makes side bench seats for a boat that are similar to the web seats on a C130 or other Mil cargo plane? It would seem to be the perfect solution to being "comfortable" while running but having plenty of room to fish.

I have been kicking around some design ideas but would just as soon plop cash down if they already exist rather than trying to custom fab something.

{quotes on comfortable because if you have ever spent a LOT of time in a C130 you know that those web benches don't qualify}

Default I gotta tell ya

It might be doable but those web seats really suck. They are so uncomfortable that flying across country, on the Air Force Rifle and pistol team, years ago, I had my choice. Sit in that webbing or lie on top of a pick up truck bed full of tirechains, covered with a tarp. I chose the tire chains. It was more comfortable.
    Unless they have improved on it since the 70's, I would go another route.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It might be doable but those web seats really suck. They are so uncomfortable that flying across country, on the Air Force Rifle and pistol team, years ago, I had my choice. Sit in that webbing or lie on top of a pick up truck bed full of tirechains, covered with a tarp. I chose the tire chains. It was more comfortable.
    Nope they still suck! That said I would like to have something secure for the kids to sit in while running that can be completely stowed so we can all fish.

How about a clamp that would secure some of those folding lawn chairs that are somewhat similar? If you had a couple of those chairs that were secure they might be good for running out somewhere, and be comfortable elsewhere when fishing.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Old Style lawn chairs

Using the older style lawn chairs with the aluminum frame might work. Screw the back frame to the walls/sides of the boat. They would be solid in place yet you could fold them up against the wall.
    It would be nice if they had a chair with a rigid back and strong hinges so you could screw through the back and have it supported by the wall. you could fold it down to sit of fold it up against the wall. Problem is the wall has to be stout and the seat really stout or everything would crash to the floor on the first good wave. Interesting idea.
    Another try. Fold down seats from a UH-60 Black hawk. Like the c-130 seats yet shorter length. Maybe your looking at the wrong branch of service. hee hee.

Default HA

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Back in 1987 I slept from Elmendorf to McChord on a pallet of grenades.
    Lousy flight too, for some reason it was non smoking....
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    Using the older style lawn chairs with the aluminum frame might work. Screw the back frame to the walls/sides of the boat. They would be solid in place yet you could fold them up against the wall.
    It would be nice if they had a chair with a rigid back and strong hinges so you could screw through the back and have it supported by the wall. you could fold it down to sit of fold it up against the wall. Problem is the wall has to be stout and the seat really stout or everything would crash to the floor on the first good wave. Interesting idea.
    Another try. Fold down seats from a UH-60 Black hawk. Like the c-130 seats yet shorter length. Maybe your looking at the wrong branch of service. hee hee.
    HMMM, You know I have flown in them a bunch but haven't really looked too close at the seat construction. I should be flying in one shortly I will have to pay more attention. I am usually too worried about getting the good seat and getting strapped in before some overweight KBR slob tries to throw his roll-around suitcase in my lap. I need to check out the CH47 too now that you mention it, seems like they use something similar to the 130.