Thread: Homer Spit May 6-9

Default Homer Spit May 6-9

Hi everyone. I know we have talked about the Homer Spit on here a few times but I was wondering if I could get some more advise. I have a 2,4, and a 6 year old that I am taking to Homer in early may and was wondering the best option for catch some fish (dosent matter what kind) I know from reading on hear to fish the spit near the pillars, but what kind of set up would you use??? Also i know its mostly bottom fish, but does anyone know if its possible to catch sea run dollies also??? Another thing, is the pillars the only place to fish this early in the year? ANY info would be great, I will be there for 3 days so I will have plenty of time. Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    Hi everyone. I know we have talked about the Homer Spit on here a few times but I was wondering if I could get some more advise. I have a 2,4, and a 6 year old that I am taking to Homer in early may and was wondering the best option for catch some fish (dosent matter what kind) I know from reading on hear to fish the spit near the pillars, but what kind of set up would you use??? Also i know its mostly bottom fish, but does anyone know if its possible to catch sea run dollies also??? Another thing, is the pillars the only place to fish this early in the year? ANY info would be great, I will be there for 3 days so I will have plenty of time. Thanks everyone
    I've never fished from the bank, but I stop there and get pollock for bait. They are normally 12-20 inches. I use a 3-4 inch silver/green white/green cripple herring and knock them dead. With such small kids, I'd use a bobber, hook and cut bait. Hope they catch something. Nothing like a young child catching a fish. Good luck Dad and good on you for taking them out.

I use a weight 3-4 oz on a slider followed by a swivel and single hook rig with an egg loop on a 2/0-5/0 circle hook.
    I like to use hooligans for bait but herring or any legal fish scraps will work.
    I double hook the bait then place part of it in the egg loop.
    fishing on the bottom is the preffered method used there.
    I like pyramid sinkers. they work the best. Crippled herring jigs work also.
    I was there a week ago and we did catch a few fish.
    Yes you can catch sea run dollies as well as kings there so I have heard.
    I have never seen one caught there but people say they have.
    This is probably your best option. Unless some kings start to show up in the Nick Dudiak fishing lagoon.
    Good Luck!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

i looked yesterday and the pollack are not in too thick yet.
    timing would be right for a few dollies, though. toss swedish pimples or any skinny shiny thing, like a small kastmaster.
    a sandlance ("needlefish" or "sand eel") under a bobber is tops.
    for dollies wait at the mouth of the harbor and watch for fish swirling on the incoming. when you see one, cast right to it.
    d
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

thanks for the info, i will probably try herring and weight on the bottom for the kids while i try to cast a few for some dollies. if anyone has any other ideas let me know. Thanks

I remember fishing with my kids when they were that age. Just be patient, realize if they aren't catching fish they will quickly loose interest, and you'll spend alot of time untangling lines when they try and cast or when the get impatient and reel in one line over the other. Whatever you do, don't bring a rod for yourself and expect to get any fishing done.

But don't worry, even when they don't seem to take to fishing at that young of an age, they'll likely love it when they get older. Then you won't have time to fish with your rod because you'll be landing fish and baiting hooks.

Oh, and don't even bother repeatedly telling them not to go in the water past the depth of their rubber boots, they will always find that out the hard way. Heck, even in 10 years they'll still end up getting wet whenever they are near water.