Thread: checking bait how often

Default checking bait how often

Thought I would start a new thread since Im still waiting to get my bait out because Big-Su isnt open so how often does everyone check their baits I try and get out every three to four days

That's about perfect. 3-4 days is good and when you start getting bears in regularly you'll want every 2 days or so. Especially if Grizz are coming in treating your bait like a buffet.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have to agree with Pike, 3-4 days, but I personally check every 5-7, not because the lack of wanting too but time restrictions and such. You got to be able to work out a time that best fits your work,family ect ect time. Heck, I got a buddy that swears by not going into his site but every other week, and he has killed every year...

Default Add more

I always added more bait every 2 days until I started to get hits. After that I added bait (5-10 gallons at a time) every day to keep up with their demand. One or two bears can empty a bait drum in no time flat. I also believe that coming in every day at the same time trains them. They learn what time super is and come looking for it. The younger smaller bears always hit my bait first, sometimes within minutes of my leaving attempting to eat before larger bears come in and drive them off.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I always added more bait every 2 days until I started to get hits.
    just curious.... but why do you add more bait if not getting hit?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default When they are getting hit

I check every day.

multiple black bears wont clean you out cause they won't stay on the stand long enough. Grizz clean you out. I had a single bear on one bait and multi bears on another and they ate the same. Checked once a week. Took 4 bears in one weekend between me and two other folks.......could have been easily 9 total if we wanted. All about location and travel requirements of stand. Mine is a way out there but I have never seen a grizz and have done pretty good, with the BB count

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    just curious.... but why do you add more bait if not getting hit?
    I fiind it easier to keep them coming in consistently if there is always food waiting for them. Nothing worse than not taking food out finding that you've been cleaned out and having to hike back out to the truck to get a bucket of bait then hiking all the way back in.

[QUOTE=Ak Bird Brain;723572]I always added more bait every 2 days until I started to get hits. QUOTE]

But why do you add bait until you get hit? I usually stuff the barrel full the first time I bait it and I don't have to add anything until I get hit. I check mine 1 or 2 times a week.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Bear Baiting

I started baiting my site out in Houston about two weeks ago and put up my trail cam. I got my first hit on Thursday. Good size blackie. He ate about a gallon. If you want to know exactly whats hitting your bait, a trail cam is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by willie1174 View Post
    I started baiting my site out in Houston about two weeks ago and put up my trail cam. I got my first hit on Thursday. Good size blackie. He ate about a gallon. If you want to know exactly whats hitting your bait, a trail cam is the way to go.
    That's good to hear, i went out Wed and nothing had hit mine yet. I put up my trail cam and some more SWEETS. We shall see next week.

[QUOTE=AKHunterNP;729936]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I always added more bait every 2 days until I started to get hits. QUOTE]

But why do you add bait until you get hit? I usually stuff the barrel full the first time I bait it and I don't have to add anything until I get hit. I check mine 1 or 2 times a week.
    For me it's the distance I hike in. I hunt on the Kenai wildlife refuge, I have to pack everything quite a ways. By the time I pack my stand, barrel, and a couple of buckets of bait in I'm wore out. Maybe I'm just lazy but it's easier to add more every few days than all at once.

atleast 2-3 times a week for me, depending on how the bear activity is. But everytime I walk in to my bait site I carry about 25lbs of bait in with me(dog food) learned that that works best. Kinda sucks to walk in and find out you barrel is cleaned out and you have no bait, and another long walk to truck. After I am done hunting I go back and top off the bait(generally use four wheeler than).

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Kinda sucks to walk in and find out you barrel is cleaned out and you have no bait, and another long walk to truck.
    Sucks to walk in with bait and not need to refill too

**Hopefully not the case tomorrow (if i can get to it)