Thread: Break it down please...

Default Break it down please...

for this newbie caller...

1) Cluck=a quick short burst for the caller so the reed will break over

2) Double cluck=a double break over of the reed on a short quick burst

3) The Whoo it=Simply sayin' "Whoo it" in your caller.

4) The Whoo it with cluck=3+1

5) The Whoo it with double cluck= 3+2

Ok, those are the only basic calls I have, & it seems I don't have much to work with in my arsenal of goose callin' as I can turn them, but can't get them to commit...

Does anyone have a "surefire" combo that'll work to get them to commit? Am usin' the Foiles Meat Grinder, & hunting cacklers...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Fairbanks, Alaska

In my experience, there is no sure fire method or cadence. If you're flaring birds, you may be too loud or calling too much. I sometimes have this problem because I call pretty well, and like to do it. But it can tend to scare them off up here. Foiles calls are fairly loud. I don't know about the Meat Grinder, but the Strait Meat is way to loud for here. I forget the name, but I use Foiles Cackler call. Still easy like the Foiles, but softer.
    If they're far off you can get their attention calling loud and use a flag (or some movement). Try just clucking at they come closer just reply to their clucks....this seems to work pretty well for me in the fall.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Listen to them, immitate them by mouth.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Juneau, AK

I still consider myself a newbie and I've found Dave Smith's "Breakthrough II" to be a very good instructional CD. He knows his stuff, explains himself very well and he's an all-around nice guy.

I just received an instructional DVD called "Bad Grammar" for my birthday and it seems pretty good too. Scott Threinen is kind of a goober, but once you get over his lame attempts at being funny, you'll see he knows what he's talking about. I learned a lot about how to hold a short reed from him.

Mat Su

Calling geese is all about watching their body language. Same as calling ducks. You have to watch the reactions you get when you hit them with a call. You have to be able to slow it down, speed it up, plead, get loud, quiet......when the time is right. Just takes a lot of time calling and watching.

The typical scenario (up here with Tav's and other small geese):

Hit them loud and fast, pretty much just making a bunch of noise with very short and excited clucks and honks. As they break toward you and come your way, keep this calling up. Watch them, if they begin to veer off, change up and see what happens. As they begin to make their final toward your decoys, slow it up a bit, or just shut up if they are already on a string. Again, watch them. If you've slowed up and they start sliding off the decoys, change up. Do something different until you get the reaction you want. As they come close to finishing, I almost always stop calling. Partly because I'm getting both hands on the gun at that point. If they slide of and start going away, hit them with fast pleading calls to try and turn them. If they dont react to this, change up and see if you find a note that turns them.

I have found that one series of calls, in a certain order, doesn't work from one flock to the next or one day to the next. Somedays, they like lots of calling, other days silence or slow quiet honks is best.

The calling I do is very different down south, where I'm hunting geese that are a bit more wary, and are comprised more of the larger canada geese. Much slower (mostly), and I hit them with real basic calls and try and stay away from the fancy stuff. Some days you cant keep them out of the decoys, other days they flare the minute you think about putting your lips on the call. Have no clue, just adapt and find something that works.

I've listened to all those dvd's that go into these really fancy named calls, and think that it mostly works during competitions, but not hunting. My three most used calls are honks, clucks and moans. I've hunted with some guys that can blow a call like nobody's business, but cant call geese worth a crap. I think its because they dont know HOW to call geese, they only know how to blow a call.

Calling is lots of practice and time, lots of success and lots of failures, and it never seems to be consistent. That's the part that makes it rewarding when you get them completely fooled.