Thread: Essential in your Tackle Box

Default Essential in your Tackle Box

So last year was my first year owning a boat up here and fishing. We just pieced our way through a couple fishing trips and this year I want to get outfitted. We're talking about the essentials as far as tackle. So we fish just about everything...rockfish, cod, halibut, salmon, etc. I have rods, downriggers, some halibut gear for bait fishing, and lots of plugs and some spoons.

What do you recommend for basic essentials in your tackle box for heading out in the salt?

Another bigger question, how do you keep your gear organized? It seems that the size of the gear up here fills tackle boxes quickly. What are folks favorite tackle storage devices?

Thanks in advance for the help.

not too sure about salt water... but the best and most usable/accessible tackle box ive ever found was a plano 777, id post some pics of it but i cant find the add picture thing anymore....strange.........anyway. its a good size box but its not too bulky......i can fit ALL my lures, and terminal tackle in it, and thats sayin alot.....cost me $30

Release Lake Trout

I have one of those for my plug and spoons. Its a great box but fills up fast. I was thinking about getting another one for the jigs. Maybe that's the way to go.

Most important? Pair of crimping pliers with the gear required to make up your own HD halibut rigs.
    Jigs fit best in those canvas tool bags. They are built tough and can carry a lot of weight.
    Tennessee

Basic things I have is

Halibut leader mono 300-500 Stiff line prevents tangling and easier on hand to handle.
    Circle hooks for everyone, 12/0 Gamagatsu J-hooks for me.
    Beads, swivels, and crimpers, crimping tool and some glow rubber tubing
    Assorted weight sizes.

Needlenose pliers, several pair and WD-40

3 knives staged. Two for fishing deck and one at the bow near anchorline

For rockfish, Cripple herring Jigs

Silvers: Snap Swivels, pre-made leaders. I usually tie 50 hooks a year and put them in 4x4" plastic bags. I like #6 blue, orange, yellow, green vibrax
    Herring Oil, flashers and cowbells. Herring Oil/Herring Butter, and jet divers. I use down riggers also, but do just as well with jet divers when they are hot.

Lings: Large silver jigs. Can't remember the name of them. Fonzi specials is what I call them. And now this year I'm gonna give the bone yard jigs a shot.

I like the rubber net. Fill the handle with foam. Their spendy and sink quick.

Gaff/harpoon, boat hook, and 5 gallon bucket to bleed fish and emergency bailer.

Thats pretty basic for me.

As far as storage, I buy these plastic nut/bolt cases at Lowes. They are yellow with a smoke plastic glass top. http://www.lowes.com/pd_238895-46921..._?rpp=30$No=30 They fit well under the hewes bench seats. Halibut weights go in a pail.

Bucktail Jigs
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I can't think of any magic piece of tackle or gear, but what I have found is that having an organized approach makes for being more effective on the water.

Anything that needs to be rigged is done in advance with multiple rigs ready to go. I.e. mooching rigs are tied to banana sinkers and spooled on foam pipe insulation, with 4 ea of various weight sinkers. I keep about a dozen cork screw swivels on a 300# mono loop hanging on the back of the pilothouse. When somebody breaks off their terminal tackle, put a new corkscrew swivel on with a palomar, hook on new tackle and back down for more fishing.

You can waste alot of time dealing with tangles or tieing tackle on the water. Cut your loss, or break it off, put on fresh pre-rigged tackle and go back to fishing.

As for Gear.

Carry few different Spoons
    -Jigs metal and plastic
    -Shark leader... Never know when one of them toothy critters will come around.
    -Plano boxes to store small lures.
    -5 gallon bucket. I put my jig head around to top and the leaders go inside.
    -Ammo can is nice to store your weights.
    -rubber bands thin and small. I use this to hold the harpoon tip on. This prevents it from falling off.
    -Extra spool of line. Never know when a bad day will happen and you loose your line.
    -Maps
    - file to sharpen your gaff
    -Ruler.
    -cork screws and swivels extra...
    - halibut leaders.
    -Nice lead club to make the fish behave.
    - knife, scissors,
    - Super glue
    - #1, #2, #3 weights
    - 2, 3 oz. mooching weights.
    - Glo sticks
    This is just a few items that I use all the time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The ruler comment reminds me that on my gaff I put a wrap of hockey tape at 35". Easy to measure lings while they are still in the water by laying the shaft next to the fish on the questionable ones, and if they are legal, quick to bring them on board.

Lotsa good tips here. Among others:

"3 knives staged. Two for fishing deck and one at the bow near anchorline"

"Super glue"

Thanks, Jay