Thread: Need Opinions on 6 Wheel Polaris

Default Need Opinions on 6 Wheel Polaris

I have a chance for a 1997 6 wjheel Polaris in great shape with a snow plow for around $3000. I currently have a 1995 Sportsman 400 and love it. Wife and I are thinking we'd like to have another atv but have no experience with the 6 wheelers.

We are not into speed but like power. We'd mostly be using it for hunting, trapping, etc. but would also like to trail ride with two atv's.
    Are the 6x6's a good option or should I keep looking?

Thanks!

Moosetrot

more to break , expensive to fix?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

What engine in that '97? The 400 2 stroke is a power house, but the 425 4 stroke is a pooch in my opinion. If it won't be used for heavy loads the 425 might be okay, but wouldn't be my choice. The 500 4 stroke they've used since 98 still didn't compare to the 400. Take a good look at all 4 chains and all the sprockets.. Try to find out how it was cared for and how many miles on it. Getting old and some people don't believe in grease so some axle bearings may need attention. Be careful!

Default two words

Maintenance Nightmare!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I have the '99' Big Boss with many mods on it. It's a tank now. The '97' with the 400 2 stroke can be made into a brute of a machine. Go to the Aaen website for parts and info on the 400. A friend of mine built a 400 from Aaen parts and it is awsome. Lots of power!

Default Polaris 6x6

I have a 1996 Big Boss 6x6, 2255 miles and my wife just loves it. I service it every spring and again in late fall. Have only had to replace the brakes. Other than that it has all the original eqiupment still in it.
    Moosetrot ------I would say buy it and have fun. take care of it and enjoy it..........

If you can't prove that it had the service attention that the poster above does, than RUN the other way. It's easy to sink over a thousand in parts for a 6x6 that hasn't been taken care of.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Basically more of the same as above. I have dealt with the 90's popo wheelers and they REQUIRE regular attention. If it is well cared for then the 6x6 will take you wherever you would like to go. That said you can probably find a newer machine for 3K if you are patient. I would look for a 500 from the early 2000s if it were me.

Default I would listen to..

mod elan as he has dealt with them personally and knows his stuff.

No 4 wheel ATV built can go where a stock Big Boss can. Adjust the chains once a year and change the oil. The ones I owned were a little prone to over heating when the radiator clogged, other than that thumbs up.
    But would look for one with the 500 4 stroke.
    Tennessee

Look for a 2000 or later with chains to the rear axle only.

I have a Polaris 6 wheeler. I love it. If it went pow I'd get another one. Mine's been trouble free. There's no substitute for what this machine does for me.

With that experience I bought a good deal Ranger 6x6. Most guys want powder puffs and would have walked away. I'll invest a little in maintenance and parts replacement and will have a solid machine that I'm willing to bang around in without worrying about it. The value of the deal is determined by your expectations. I'll easily get my money's worth.

Default It seems

that people that don't know much about 6 wheelers tend to post against them. They are beasts and will go places the 4 wheelers won't. They do need some maintenance but they are good machines!