Thread: 2858 Bayliner?

Default 2858 Bayliner?

Well there appears to be plenty of Bayliner 2858's up here. They seem like the perfect 28' boat for family fishing in the sound. I personally really like the Ciera with the flying bridge. I found some great deals out of the state. Actually considering a 1996, my only complaint is that they didnt fuel inject that 7.4 engine. Kinda really would like the fuel injection for reliability peice of mind. What kind of fuel milage do you see with the carbed 7.4? As for towing, will my Diesel 3/4 ton be fine? Figuring so.
    Do any of you have any input, comments or possible questions I should ask the owner of this boat.
    Here are somee pics.....

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/20u0z0zlddp9u2571hms

feel free to post your 2858, and maybe some details on each one. I personally like the cabin on the Ciera, think I could talk to ol lady to extended stays out on the sound with comfortable quaters like these.

Looks to be in very nice shape from what I can tell from the pictures. I don't know that carbed is all that bad. Maybe easier/simpler to work on? People pull those boats all the time with 3/4 ton diesels. Any pics of engine, bilge? Any idea on engine hours (not that you can depend on the hour meters to tell you the truth), service? If they had it serviced, see if they'll tell you who did the work and then contact that place to see if they will send you the service records. Lots of Bayliners around here. A good value.

Talking Very good looking boat

I have a 2859 and pull it with a 1 ton dully. I'm sure your 3/4 ton will be fine. If the pictures are correct, it is a very good looking boat. I noticed a couple of things that are extra on that boat that are pluses, 3 wipers on lower helm, electric panel looks like the up grade, 3 axle trailer (a must). On the trailer I could not tell if it was roller or bunk type. I like the bunk better than the roller as I have a friend that had a fiberglass boat with a roller trailer and he had to have the bottom repaired as the rollers broke the bottom of the boat. Too much weight in too small of an area. Is the boat local or outside? I would go to where ever the boat is and really give it the once over and sea trial. A lot of guys use a boat surveyor, but I have mixed feelings on them and the money they charge and no grantee. If you have to pull it up from the lower 48, no problem, just make sure the trailer and tires are in good shape and take your time. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I really like the 2858. I looked at one in Seward a couple of years ago, and almost bought it. I think the fish deck is kind of small, but the interior is layed out great and very spacious.

I was concerned about the engine size. I don't remember the actual sizes, but they did have a larger engine they offered a couple of years later, then the engine in the boat I looked at. Other than that, I really like that boat!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

A 2858 works great in the Sound. I used to own one and ran all around the Sound. Went all the way out to Wessels Reef with mine. I had an aluminum hardtop installed over the back deck and that made a huge difference. I could fish in a pouring rain and stay nice and dry. Repowered it with a fuel injected 6.2L mercruiser right before I sold it. That engine moved the boat OK but in hindsight I should have dropped in the 496. I don't see how the newer versions can run a 350. A 2858 is not a light boat and the ability to carry any extra weight must be an issue with that engine.

I towed mine with a 2500HD Chevy crew cab. A duelly would have been a lot nicer as I could feel the boat and trailer trying to push my truck when going around the curves on Turnagain Arm. 50-55 MPH was the fastest I felt safe towing. Luckily I only towed twice a year...once in the spring and once in the fall.

Come check mine out.....you already know what I tow with....I will even let you make a test run and tow it to Valdez for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Come check mine out.....you already know what I tow with....I will even let you make a test run and tow it to Valdez for me.
    Ohh a test pull to Valdez! So kind of you! HaHaHa.
    How about a test run for the weekend. You know, I gotta try it our in the Water To!!!!

My old man and I are partners on a '96 2858. I give it high marks as a family cruising boat for the Sound. The layout is great, with the exception that the v-berth and settee/sleeper are exposed to the light all night long in the summer. It sleeps four and a dog comfortably and six and a dog uncomfortably. The deck is big enough to fish three with plenty of space. Four gets crowded and lines tend to tangle.

We have a fly bridge cover, which makes the upper helm is great on warmer days (easier to see logs) and for coming into harbor. However, in cooler or wet weather, I usually steer from the lower helm. The extra space up top is great for storing shrimp pots and gas containers (once empty).

My biggest complaint is fuel capacity. The tank is only 114 gallons, which means you'll either be making shorter trips or carrying gas with you. I'll typically carry 30 extra gallons, which allows me to run from Whittier to Smith Island/Southern Knight Island/Dangerous Passage and back while leaving 1/3 as a foul weather reserve.

I also note that the hull design and the fly bridge make the 2858 wobblier than other vessels of the same length. If you step up on the side of a Kingfisher, for example, it will list no more than an inch or two to that side. If you step up on the side of a 2858, it will list a foot or more. In three and four foot seas, she can really get rocking if there is any chop at all. Frankly, I prefer to stay put in seas greater than three feet.

I'm running a fuel-injected, 320-horse Merc MX 6.2 MPI. It can handle four adults and gear for a week long trip without problem. But you've really got to ease up on step with a Bravo II, or you'll spin the prop. Learned that the hard way... twice.

I tow with a 3/4 ton Ford. She does the job without any trouble. The boat is almost too big to trailer routinely. We have a transient slip in Whittier, which I have come to appreciate tremendously.

Well I didnt pull the trigger on that boat. Since then I decided to stop my search until I sold my current boat. Fortunately I did sell my boat and I now am in the market for one. I have decided to go with the hard top classic 2859. I like the option to store the digny above and possibly the shrimp pots aswell. So is there any more information out there about these boats? Should I even consider the 5.7 merc cruiser? That does seem like a small engine for this heavy of a boat. Wonder if the fuel milage would be better or worse? Alot of boat for the 5.7 and probly gotta run high RPM's just to scoot along.
    Here are a couple prospects! What do you think?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1954077204.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1997600691.html

I love my '03 2859. I have the 5.7 MPI Mag and it runs very well. I did change over to a Bravo III OD in '09 and my Bravo II is still sitting here like brand new. MAke sure you are on a triple axle trailer. Some of the old ones were on twin axles.

Drawbacks: fuel capacity, 110 gallons of fuel, halibut fishing is best with 4 or less, a remote controlled kicker is BEST, it does sit bow down when sitting still, do not forget it is over 8 feet wide and needs permits to haul, last it won't fit in your driveway .

The wife will love the HUGE storage areas.

Call me and come by for a looksee. Hard to believe that this was the 7th summer with our unit.

I have a couple of friends who own 2859s, they love them and so do I. One is running a 7.4 and goes 16-17kts the other had a yanmar diesel tied to mercruiser bravo I or II and he cruised about the same but he has since repowered with a another brand of diesel and a Bravo III (duoprop) and now has a faster 20-21kt cruise.

The 2859 I have been on was really seaworthy and the design was great, but the fish deck is a little crowded. I have never really seen a run down 2859 so they seem to be a well built boat. If you google the 2859 you will find a report or two of boats powered by the 350. I'd skip the 7.4 and get either the diesel or the 350 but both would have the duoprop/Bravo III. Also the AK bulkhead is a must you will see a few with out the bulkhead.

Also be sure to look at the online bayliner forum which is a great resource.

Sobie2