Thread: Black bears and new grass

Default Black bears and new grass

Got a black bear hunt planned for Mid May in the cooper landing area. Planning on doing spot and stalk above the treeline. I'm hoping I can find some south facing slopes that will be clear and I'm wondering if I can expect to find the most bears where the first shoots of green grass come up in an area of mostly brown grass or if I shlould look for the newest area that is mostly green.

Your plan is a good one. Don't forget to watch the avalanche chutes, too. Let us know how many porcupines you stalk. Been there, done that!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have seen some JUMBO black bears through my spotting scope up in Alpine in late May/June.. If I could find a few guys stupid enough to hike up there and help me pack it out, I'd go get one. I've always wanted to do a late May alpine black bear hunt.

Thumbs up just got back

i have been pushing some locations in the area. i have seen zero bear sign as of yet. i admit the area i wish to go to is still too much snow, but 50 degree days make me think they are popping out of the den's and i know where 2 bears were last fall.

problem for me is the haul of meat requirement until may 31st. i am talking about some big big bears. i could get one this week if i really pushed things.............and i just may do that

skunk cabbage is a great indicator of where they'll be. big bears don't get big for no reason. i expect within the next week someone on the kenai pem will report a harvest. they tore up a guys freezer the other day in sterling.

but if your sure enough going cooper landing mid may maybe, but closer to the turnagain side- i doubt it. there is no sign yet in the swanson river or skilak area's or north road or tustamena that i have seen so far. only a few sterling residents reporting from homes near the river.

Default new/old grass

WIsam,
    Your plan is fine. Look from the upper-most "new" grass line, clear down to the lowest and therefore "oldest" grass, even if it is only three weeks "old" grass. The "older' grass will have dandelions growing and some other tidbits that bears like also.
    Hey, one south facing slope only extends the length of Kenai Lake. Glass and find them tiny little black bugs up there. Them be bears.

And as Spoiled One indicated, tell us how many porcupines you spot, and how many you stalk.
    How many you see indicates to us how much effort you are putting into it. How many you stalk tells us something else. Note....we have all stalked one porcupine at one time or another...Opps.

...still a week+ early right now for cooper landing area, GENERALLY SPEAKING, based on my experiences there....

Dennis

Default Rock

Don't feel bad if you stalk a Porcupine.
    My first time out black bear hunting my buddy and I tried sneaking up on a rock.
    We did a good job because the rock didn't go anywhere. But we didn't have a big enough rifle to take it down.

There is always next time,
    Brian

Yeah, I'd imagine regular old partitions won't cut it for rocks. In my opinion, an ethical hunter only shoots rocks with armor piercing tungston core bullets.

When do you think the slopes down there will be clear enough to grow grass?

Lol,stalking rocks reminded of a stalk...me and my brother were sitting in the gravel pit above the six mile creek canyon past hope,when I noticed a bear up top.spent an hour or so trying a place to cross.finally found a zip line with a 4x4 piece of wood you sit on and pull your self across,talk about scary!we then headed up above tree line got to the spot near were he was.put a perfect stalk on it within a 100 yrds.would you guess that the bear was a black 55 gallon drum!!!with the grass being shorter than the drum and the wind blowing made it look like it was moving.after 7 years I have not told anyone untill now every time I drive by that hill I can't help but laugh!

Default Stump Bears

Spent way too much time during my first legal deer season seeing bears in the clear cuts of coastal Oregon. Stump bears, mostly, but every once in a while one would move. There was so much huckly berry poo on the cat trails that it gave me the impression that we were surrounded by bears. So every burnt out stump in the clear cuts must be a bear. No binos or scope so I just had to watch them from a distance.

Then there was the time Big Foot walked up behind me while I was on a stump stand. It turned out to be just a bear that didn't notice me until it winded me and freaked out. I was about 10 feet over its head up on the stump it really freaked out since it could not see me. I could not see it either, just listen to the huffing and teeth clacking and watch the brush around the base of the stump move around.

It was a hard day for a 12 year old when the retired loggers we were hunting with came back to pick me up. Hardy har har.

Default Snow, snow, snow

Yeah was just down in the cooper landing area looking for some bears. didnt see any and there was alot of snow still. hopefully it will melt soon. Planing on going back down in about 2 weeks. best of luck

Cool ...dedicated enough?

270ti...you wrote...If I could find a few guys stupid enough to hike up there and help me pack it out, I'd go get one.
    Did you actually mean "stupid enough"? Or might you have meant "dedicated enough"?
    Good luck with your mountain hunts, and finding partners dedicated enough to assist you.

dennis

Default HA!!

And all this time I thought I was the only one that stalked porcupines!

I stalked a white trash bag on the Denali Hwy thinking it was a Ptarmigan....
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Back east when I was 17, I once spent 9 hrs waiting out a whitetail buck with a huge rack only to find that it was a giant shed that some how made its way to the top of a bush.