Thread: will 10hp push a 19ft drift boat upstream ???

Question will 10hp push a 19ft drift boat upstream ???

Does anyone know if a new 10 hp 4 stroke has got enuf ***** to push a loaded 19ft drift boat "upstream" on the kenai or comparable rivers.

I can guess that it will, but it had better be a long shaft. I say "guess" because on a 13' Zodiak a 10 horse 2-stroke easily pushes 4 people up river. Just not very fast. It will plane 2 people easily in the Zodiak, but of course, nowhere near as fast as my 25.

thanks brother, yes it is a long shaft. Four stroke "Tahatsu".

Its called a drift boat for a reason. Think about it and get back to me.

have you fished on the middle river? or floated thru the canyon and rowed 7 plus miles to upper Skilak launch...... clearly a motor has a place, thanks for the post though...... ( iceblue )

Yes, it will work fine for what you want to do.
    And where you want to do it.
    It won't be uber fast but it does the job.

I have a 19' Willie with a 9.9hp and it does the job. Fast no, does it matter....no. It will get you across the lake or back up river to fish the run again with no problem at all.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Yes, I have fished the middle Kenai a couple of times. I have put my share of hours on the sticks and I actually own property along the Kenai in this section if that matters for anything. Yes, a motor has its place in situations like going across Skilak or exiting the Kasilof when the tides are pushing in or when the afternoon wind that always blows comes up.

However, there is a big difference in using a motor on a driftboat to either go downstream or across a lake versus going back upstream against current on any river with even minimum current. There is nothing quite like sitting on your property and watching a driftboat come upstream at .001 miles per hour throwing a standing wake that due to the slow progress of the driftboat churns and churns on the bank in passing. It a bad deal. I even heard that some of the folks from the Kenai Keyes got together and put in a proposal to the upcoming BOF to try to deal with this growing concern. In my opinion it would be a shame if this came about but the more people that try to run a driftboat back upstream the more the problem grows.

thanks for the feed back !!!.
    would a 15 horse be better ?

I too have property on the middle section and will agree with iceblue. I don't use my drift boat with the motor (one time and didn't like it, tough when you own a Predator anyways). The 15 will not improve anything really, drift boats are not designed to get on step, if they did they would be dangerous with no keel. Save the coin and stick to the 9.9, it will get you across the lake as you need.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

I totally agree with the assessment that akgloomis made in his last post. I also would stick with the 9.9 and use it to get you across Skilak safely or to motor slowly downstream at times.

As far as motoring upstream I would simply ask that you keep in mind the impact that has and try to minimize the times that you go back up to do a run if at all possible.