Thread: Ice Conditions at end of Deshka Landing Launch

Thumbs up Ice Conditions at end of Deshka Landing Launch

Here are pictures taken at 11 am on Tuesday showing the Big Su to the north and south from the end of the launch at Deshka Landing. The launch is still iced in with the ice around 1.5-2 feet thick.

Little Su had water running running under the Parks Hwy bridge on either April 21 or 22 (I traveled over it on 22).

Susitna River at the Parks Hwy bridge above Talkeetna had an okay flow on Sunday when I passed over it. It is not very wide yet.

2009 had 3 boats go out to the Deshka on May 1-2. 1 boat got caught in the ice flows that came down on May 2-3.

Our parking lot is closed for at least another week to 10 days. It is drying up better this year, but it is too soft to drive around on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

Man I wait for that ice to go out. So I can get my bait stand set up. I was there may 8th last year.

I went down to the Willow Creek Campground tonight. Big Su is flowing about 15-20 feet across. Plenty of open water, it just may not be in the right places yet!

Water level is rising. Big Su open about 75% across to the North. Open about 50% across to the South for about 150 yards. Launch is still iced in.

Thanks a bunch for the updates. This time of year is the hardest for me. I'm itching to get out, if for nothing but to clean out the cobwebs.

Default Keep us posted on conditions please...

Deshka Landing,
    Please keep us updated on conditions.
    Looking forward to getting on the water and headed down river to the cabin!
    Thanks for the pics on your earlier threads....keep 'em coming.
    BK

Default Big Su @ Willow Sun May 2nd

Big Su at Willow was flush with Ice flows. 100% not safe,good part is she's breaking out. Cool to view the river nearly clear of ice one minute then choked bank to bank the next. At the campground water rose about 6 in in an hour and a half (~6p).Watched trees and earth being carried to sea. It was an awesome sight! Fishing was marginal,

Thumbs up Looking Good!

Good News!

The launch currently still has ice in it because the water hasn't risen enough to take it out, however we will be trying to push out some chunks on Tuesday. An airboat went out on 5/2 and 5/3 off the low water launch. Both boats went up the Deshka River. The main jam past the Deshka is gone and there is open water on the Big Su flowing south. There is the possibility of ice jams, but there should be enough open water most of the time to navigate through. There are a lot of logs and ice in the water pesently.

Enjoy the pic from the mouth of the Deshka!! Monday, May 3 at 1:00 pm!
    Attached Images Attached Images