Thread: Lady Smith Opinions

Default Lady Smith Opinions

I'm looking at getting my wife one as a suprise. She has experience with handguns and has her own G20 she uses in the woods and also carries my Bobbed Bulldog snubbie with her and shoots it.
    I wanted to get her something a bit more "her" and not one of my hand me downs. Something a bit more fem but with some oomph. She has handled one in the store a couple of times and liked it.
    Does anyone have a female that ownes and shoots one and if so what are the likes and dislikes? This will be her personal defense firearm and something to use when we are in the woods. Any thoughts on holsters?
    Just looking for some more input before I take the plunge. The other option may be the model 60 stainless with hi-viz sights and 3" barrel.

Thanks,
    Mountaintrekker

Mountaintrekker

Yup my wife has one and loves it. I can't shoot it with 357s due to the grip jamming the trigger guard into my fat knuckle. The wife does fine with 357s but they are a handful so she shoots mostly 38+p level loads and packs 357s.

She wants to dress it up more with ivory scrimshaw grips and engraved roses on the frame . . . YUCK! But this tells me she loves it because she has always just taken them as they come before and never talked about personalizing any gun till this 60LS.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Lady Smith?? A beautiful, small city in northwest South Africa. It is in the western half of the old Zulu land (KwaZulu-Natal) province. A quiet country town populated primarily by Boer descendants, farmers, ranchers and hunters. A lovely area of the world.

Now that I'm done being a smart ass, for now, I suppose you mean the small S&W revolvers specially made for the gals. I'd say hooyah!! I'd caution against the pink stuff but generally very good for smaller hands and the 357/38 special is the appropriate caliber. They are meant for a quick DA shooting and as such should have a good action job to get the tort lawyer designed trigger more usable. I prefer the older S&W guns with the firing pin in the hammer nose as we can get better trigger with lower pull weight an still higher reliability of fire. But the new stuff can be bettered with some work and still have a good DA trigger. My woman grab my S&W 19-4 2 1/2" gun for her car gun and it is stuffed with six Hornady 125 grain 357's rounds.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I bought a 60 ladysmith for the woman just before we got married. She still loves it. We put rubber grips on it and that helped a lot.

Default Lady Smith on a K frame

When I took my wife shopping for her first gun she handled a bunch of the little J-frame Lady Smiths but did not really like them. We ended up finding a Lady Smith that was built on the medium K frame (I think it is a model 65). This fit her hand much better.

My wife thinks it's "pretty". It has a frosted stainless finish and rosewood grips with a very short (2" or so) barrel. It's small and packable but can digest a 357 load reasonably well.

If you're not super fired up with the little J frame, hunt around. I know they only made these for a few years but I've seen several around over the years.

I second the motion for the M65 LS in 357. I think the 3in K frame is a darn good size and weight compromise for a 357, still shootable yet still concealable. Heck I got one and I'm not even a woman and even further from a lady.

BTW on some of the newer ones a beadblast will remove the LadySmith moniker from the side, incase you find yourself carrying it more than her.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    The other option may be the model 60 stainless with hi-viz sights and 3" barrel.
    Thanks,
    Mountaintrekker
    Mountaintrekker
    That sounds like the bestest option to me, due to the longer barrel, and shoot 38 specials in it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Sonds like experience talking!

BTW on some of the newer ones a beadblast will remove the LadySmith moniker from the side, incase you find yourself carrying it more than her.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like personal experience speaking! In all honesty, if my wife didnt love this gun so much I'd consider it. It a real nice piece.

No direct experience yet, but my wife's been eyeballing a model 642 ladysmith every time we go to the gunshop. Her reasoning is that she wants a "feminine" gun that doesn't have a pink stock or pink finish. I've heard that ladysmiths have some trigger work done at the factory to make them easier to shoot for the ladies, but I have no idea if that's just a rumor.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I've heard that ladysmiths have some trigger work done at the factory to make them easier to shoot for the ladies, but I have no idea if that's just a rumor.
    I can tell you that every 60LS I've handled has a very a good smooth double action that is extremely controllable and an almost glass like single action brake.

My wife also wanted a feminine grown up woman’s gun not a pink and purple girly gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

hap

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I can tell you that every 60LS I've handled has a very a good smooth double action that is extremely controllable and an almost glass like single action brake.

My wife also wanted a feminine grown up woman’s gun not a pink and purple girly gun.
    That is absolutely opposite my experience with the newer Lady Smiths. Bought a Centennial for my wife and it was absolutely unusable out of the box. No one could pull the trigger and stay on target. After considerable effort the trigger made it all the way to functional.

Replaced it with the Taurus 85Ti and put some Crimson Trace grips on it... Everyone loves it. I have had considerable experience with the hammerless Lady Smiths and would not consider another without factoring a bunch of time and patience on the trigger.

Unfortunately they have dropped the 85Ti...
    art

The DAO S&W j-frame revolvers will usually benefit from a Wilson spring kit. Around 8.00 from Brownells and any competent smith can install it in about 10 minutes. Generally I've found the triggers to be OK on the Smiths, but many other folks find them heavy. They are double action only, after all. But on that note, I'd buy a Smith over a Taurus ANY day of the week. But I'm pretty biased towards S&W products, and against Taurus. But thats just me, I have to work on the stuff, and I don't buy brands that have a reputation for failure.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

The 60LS is a double/single action not the hammerless double only. Like I said all I have checked have a good trigger but it's been about 3 years since I checked one out other than the wife’s. In double it has a heavy starting pull that falls into a sweet spot that you can hold just before the brake as you tighten up the aim. With practice aimed double action fire is almost as accurate as single because of this. Single is very slick and no more than 2 pounds at most.

I assume you can tell which is the 60LS.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't think you could choose a better gift for a loved one!
    I LOVE my little Jframe. NO failure to feeds, and if I DO have a misfire, I just pull the trigger again.

Actually, I was responding to Hap's complaints about the S&W triggers. But that being said, the only thing you need now is more S&W revolvers.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I always think of anybody that picks a small frame (J frame ) S&W as someone that has put some thought in the selection and the purpose of that pistol. Most folks will not try to use a small pistol with a 2" barrel out to a hundred yards and not if the pistol is called on for real service that it will be used at under 7 yards. At this distance and under I have all the confidence that the DAO works, it's easy to carry and in .357 mag, it works just fine. I think S&W is the leader with these small J frames and have been for many decades. They always work which for any pistol is is the first and most important characteristic. I know one thing about the small revolvers, I end up carrying them the most of all, they work for four legged as well as two legged just as well. Sure am happy that my wife and I have ours. Even my daughter has a old J frame with a 2" barrel in .22 LR I much prefer her with a pistol she can hit with than any other she can't.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Actually, I was responding to Hap's complaints about the S&W triggers. But that being said, the only thing you need now is more S&W revolvers.
    Always need more S&Ws and Rugers. . . you buying?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

hap

I have Rugers, Colts, Berettas, Brownings, S&Ws, and a bunch more... S&W was a really good revolver for a long time. Between their politics and their manufacturing for a while there they were the worst handguns on the market... and that would include Iver Johnson in the competition!

They have gotten marginally better, but they are no where close to the handgun they once were. S&W of course entered a cozy contract with Taurus and enhanced the Brazilian factory machinery as part of the contract... Taurus started making some revolvers easily the equal of S&W in better times.
    art

Default qoute from my Fiance

"I don't want a gun with pink on it, I want something black, metal, and sexy that will fit in my purse" - My Fiance

I'm a lucky man.

I'm always in the market for nice used Smiths. You selling?