Thread: Shrink Wrap Recycling

Default Shrink Wrap Recycling

Is there any place in Anchorage that accepts used shrink wrap from boats? I saved and re-used my shrink cover last year but now don't have the space to store the plastic and want to discard it. It appears marinas in the L48 collect it and recycle it. Does AK just put it in the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gugs View Post
    Is there any place in Anchorage that accepts used shrink wrap from boats? I saved and re-used my shrink cover last year but now don't have the space to store the plastic and want to discard it. It appears marinas in the L48 collect it and recycle it. Does AK just put it in the ground?
    Call the Anchorage (Eagle River) landfill. They have recycling bins for lots of things. Maybe even plastic (along with the plastic bottles).

Default You can also

call places like Brown Bear here in Anchorage that do shrink wrapping. They may have a set up to recycle.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Post it on the bowhunting form, We use it in bags to shoot arrows into work,s perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Municipal Landfill doesn't recycle it. I'll call a couple shrink wrap places to see if they take it back. Otherwise, giving it to bow shooter sounds like a fine option as well.

Default dumb question

I was in AIH the other day and saw shrink rap on a shelf in the back for 21.00 a roll.. Maybe only 2 feet wide, but seemed like allot of shrink wrap for the price..3-4 Rolls I think would easily cover a 22' boat.. could you use this effectively on a boat? or is their a certain brand, kind or width that is reccommended.. I picked one up and am oging to do my snowmobiles before I put them in the shed this weekend..

Thanks, Hoytguy

Hoyt, i,m guessing but there shrink wrap different than the roll.s we use to wrap up pallets with. I would guess the style, they have is like vacume packing the whole boat, no seems.no leaks.I suppose you could use the other but you would have a bunch of seems every two feet to keep from leaking? Maybe throw a trap over first than use it to hold that down.Just another thought, I keep my machines tarpped so i can get to them though out the summer , i fire them up once month i find that keeps them oiled up inside the motor, and gets a charge on the batt,s to.

Default Shrink Wrap Recycling

I do shrink wrap and you can get it recycled. it is polyethylene plastic and i am sure it is the same a soda pop bottles. also I can get prepaid bag for $30 and that cover the shipping to get it recycled.
    hope this helps

alaskamobileshrinkwrap.com