Thread: DM 538 info?

Default DM 538 info?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has hunted the DM538 tag in the past. I drew it this year & have a couple of questions.
    Please PM or email me
    vwonser@alaska.net

Thanks.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Tips

I haven't done that hunt but know people that have, due to the decreased moose numbers on the Tustumena ridge I would highly suggest doing some flying before you go. I don't think its a hunt where you can just go in anywhere in your permit area on the ridge and expect to get one, you'll definitely want to spot a few so you have an idea where to go. I know most successful people on this hunt take horses, allows you to cover more ground and pack a moose out that's 10 miles away from camp you wouldn't be able to with just man power. So hopefully you got a good buddy with some horses.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    I haven't done that hunt but know people that have, due to the decreased moose numbers on the Tustumena ridge I would highly suggest doing some flying before you go. I don't think its a hunt where you can just go in anywhere in your permit area on the ridge and expect to get one, you'll definitely want to spot a few so you have an idea where to go. I know most successful people on this hunt take horses, allows you to cover more ground and pack a moose out that's 10 miles away from camp you wouldn't be able to with just man power. So hopefully you got a good buddy with some horses.
    Thanks for the info.
    Unortunately no ponies, so it will be boat in & leg work.

Would still love to hear rom some folks if you don't mind sharing your experience/knowledge.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."