Thread: Angled/Straight Body Spotter for Hunting?

Default Angled/Straight Body Spotter for Hunting?

I've spent alot of time behind the binos but almost no time behind a spotter. I'm trying to decide between an angeld body or a straight body. My primary use will be hunting (sheep, moose, bear, etc.)

So fill me in on which style you like and why. Or which one you wanted to throw down the side of the mountain because of a stiff neck.

If I can get some quick replies and make a decision, Doug might get an order for one of those Pentax 65 ED's he's promoting.

Thanks for the help.

Forum Sponsor

Here is my experiance with the Straight or angled querry.

Straight - Great for the range. Great when you are lying down and looking straight into it or when you have it mounted on a full sized tripod (Where the scope is at your eye level without you bending or stooping over). If you ever want to use in the truck with a window mount.

Angled - Best for when you are observing from slightly above the level it is mounted or if you are looking at an elevated area.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Man 600 bucks is a killer deal on those Pentax scopes. If it were me I'd buy the angled one in a heart beat. I sold my straight Burris Spotter and will be buying a Pentax 65-EDA next. Just can't drop the cash quite yet.

I can see the advantages of an angled scope when sheep hunting and looking up hillsides, but I know when moose or bear hunting there's alot of time looking down from an elevated position. Do the angled scopes restrict you in anyway or does it just take a little time to get used too?

Forum Sponsor

Just as with anything else, once you use it a few times it comes natural.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Wonderer,
    I have and use both....I have a light weight straight scope that I use for sheep etc.......it seems easier to find the critter with the straight model but when moose hunting from a high camp, I use my 80MM Kowa with angled eye piece.....I turn the eye piece upward and set the tripod very low to the ground.....then I can sit in my chair for hours and just lean forward a bit to look through scope.....much easier on the neck....

Default Thanks

Well, I just got off the Camera Land site where I went ahead and ordered the angled model. I bought a pair of 10x43 SP binos form Doug last winter and got great service. I becoming a fan of Pentax and think I'll be very happy with the spotter. Thanks for the help guys.

Well this one is 3 weeks too late but....lst summer I did wildlife surveys on the lower Kuskokwim and used the Leica Televid APO 77 with straight eyepiece. Fantastic scope. I used Eagle Optics' "use for 30 days then send back" offer to compare a Pentax PF80ED and the monster PF100ED against the Leica. Both were brighter, obviously the 100mm PF100 was going to be, but the difference was more likely the newer Pentax having the latest in coatings on the glass.
    I ended up purchasing the Pentax PF 80ED from Doug and a pair of Leica 8x42 BN binos. The PF 100ED is a fantastic spotting scope, but it is on the large side. You will need a strong, heavy duty tripod to keep it from moving, as I found slight breezes would get it moving around.
    I like the straight eyepieces after spending so much time behind them. Just get yourself into a comfortable position.