Thread: Swampage and mosquitos.

Default Swampage and mosquitos.

I have an area that I don't think will dry out much this summer right near the cabin. Is there anything non toxic that I can spray or spread around that will help keep the mosquitoes down?
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Non-toxic spray that will keep mosquitos down? Not really.

You could try getting the area to drain and dry out. Or try one of those propane mosquito traps.

Heh, well, non toxic as in wont kill the trees and grass but will kill the mosquito larvea.

If it's standing water, then spraying some mineral oil can help. It doesn't take very much at all...it makes a thin film on the water, changing the surface tension making it difficult/impossible for the skeets to emerge from the water.

Perfect! Thanks. Rep points coming.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I have an area that I don't think will dry out much this summer right near the cabin. Is there anything non toxic that I can spray or spread around that will help keep the mosquitoes down?
    YUP i deal with the same thing at my place in Clear... there is a Pellet you toss onto the standing water that kills the larva but does not hurt the animals... I belive last year we got them at Samsons Hardware??? but any pond supply place on line will have them and cheap.. also check with the local green houses like Holmtown that have pond equipment...

when all esle fails... clorox does a heck of a job too but goes away quickly.

also a fogger is great for areas that are wet but not water... skeeters will hatch in the moss also.. i would go out every evening as they came out in force and fog the yard 100 yards around the house... a week of that and they are pretty much gone. after a couple rains it will need to be redone...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The best remendy is eat lots of garlic, your lady might not let you in bed at night, but the skeeters will leave you alone.

Up here its called PPP ( Personal Protection Plan) For ever million that you kill, theres another billion waiting to take there place.

take chemotherapy.
    a skeeter won't even land on you.
    I have not been bothered by insects while I am on chemo.
    sorta expensive, though!

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    take chemotherapy.
    sorta expensive, though!
    Heck with that, I'll take getting bit over chemo!
    Besides some Alaska skeeters probably just think it's a flavor adder and eat me up anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    YUP i deal with the same thing at my place in Clear... there is a Pellet you toss onto the standing water that kills the larva but does not hurt the animals... I belive last year we got them at Samsons Hardware??? but any pond supply place on line will have them and cheap.. also check with the local green houses like Holmtown that have pond equipment...

when all esle fails... clorox does a heck of a job too but goes away quickly.

also a fogger is great for areas that are wet but not water... skeeters will hatch in the moss also.. i would go out every evening as they came out in force and fog the yard 100 yards around the house... a week of that and they are pretty much gone. after a couple rains it will need to be redone...
    Thanks. It's only a small bit of standing water but a larger area of wet mossy, muskeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    The best remendy is eat lots of garlic, your lady might not let you in bed at night, but the skeeters will leave you alone.

Up here its called PPP ( Personal Protection Plan) For ever million that you kill, theres another billion waiting to take there place.
    Heh, I AM the lady of the house. Just about everything I cook has garlic in it. We're a spicy family lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    take chemotherapy.
    sorta expensive, though!
    Sorry honey, I'll leave that method to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Heck with that, I'll take getting bit over chemo!
    Besides some Alaska skeeters probably just think it's a flavor adder and eat me up anyway.
    So, you're quite tasty hmm?

The propane mosquito eater machines are amazing. They will virtually eliminate the mosquitos in an area. Thermacell units are very good for providing a little personal space around you, too.

Talking Darn Skeeter's - Give Them a Hair-Do

Thank you for that question...I learned a lot for future use.

If you want to have some fun get some on a small scale, get some woman's hair spray and spray the skeeter's and assorted other flying blood suckers with it (don't light on fire!) They will die slower this way also! No kidding when the hair spray dries their wings become stuck, they crash and then they cant move and die a nice slow death. If I remember right they also receive oxygen from their body area (their skin - but don't recall), well anyway it's a slow death for blood sucking bug, and a great revenge for a weeks worth of itching!

I didn't believe it until I gave it a try...You might have to hit them with a second coat if the first was a light spray (minor damage) but then they went down like a stone in a lake . Hope you give it a try and have fun…Get the fasts drying stuff made if there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bird-dog View Post
    Thank you for that question...I learned a lot for future use.

If you want to have some fun get some on a small scale, get some woman's hair spray and spray the skeeter's and assorted other flying blood suckers with it (don't light on fire!) They will die slower this way also! No kidding when the hair spray dries their wings become stuck, they crash and then they cant move and die a nice slow death. If I remember right they also receive oxygen from their body area (their skin - but don't recall), well anyway it's a slow death for blood sucking bug, and a great revenge for a weeks worth of itching!

I didn't believe it until I gave it a try...You might have to hit them with a second coat if the first was a light spray (minor damage) but then they went down like a stone in a lake . Hope you give it a try and have fun…Get the fasts drying stuff made if there is a difference.

Plus if you use Aqua Net, you can help the ozone hole grow bigger and help global warming, thus making the winters a bit more cozy up here

I buy the stuff by the caseload in a cold snap and just let it fly. I can feel the heat almost right away
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There used to be some stuff called 'Buach Powder".It came on a 'comet cleanser' type of can that was yellow colored IIRC. Know where it can be found? The old grocery store on Glenallen used to carry it. It's great `skeeter killer inside a tent or cabin. You let it smolder and the critter beat themselfs to death trying to get away from it! It is made from powdered crysthamum (sp)or pyrenthium (sp) plants and smells like pot. But it sure works good!

Go to Sampson Hardware in Fairbanks, they used to carry it years ago. Not sure about thier new store. (Buach Powder)

Put out some swallow boxes out we've used them for years they work great. The ADF&G web site has a page on cavity dwelling birds houses it has sizes, where and how to place them.
    Chuck