Thread: New to Forum Ranger Driver

Default New to Forum Ranger Driver

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of ATV/UTV'ing. I've got a decent amount of experience off-road (Moab and Colorado) but my Ranger 700 is the first UTV I've owned. So far I've added breather lines to the differentials and a Warn 4000lb winch. I'm going to hold off on new tires till the stock ones wear down but I'm open to any ideas for "must-have" mods. I'd be especially interested in those parts that will be the strand-you-in-the-middle-of-nowhere kind of things. During my Jeeping days it was going to be U-joints but I haven't learned those achilles heel type of things on UTVs. I'll be primarily using for hunting so I'd be interested to hear about any gun racks you guys are especially happy with.

So far I've been down to Jim Creek, Palmer Hay Flats, and Eklutna. Any good rides, especially in the Eagle River area?

Thanks -Tick

Quote Originally Posted by Tick View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of ATV/UTV'ing. I've got a decent amount of experience off-road (Moab and Colorado) but my Ranger 700 is the first UTV I've owned. So far I've added breather lines to the differentials and a Warn 4000lb winch. I'm going to hold off on new tires till the stock ones wear down but I'm open to any ideas for "must-have" mods. I'd be especially interested in those parts that will be the strand-you-in-the-middle-of-nowhere kind of things. During my Jeeping days it was going to be U-joints but I haven't learned those achilles heel type of things on UTVs. I'll be primarily using for hunting so I'd be interested to hear about any gun racks you guys are especially happy with.

So far I've been down to Jim Creek, Palmer Hay Flats, and Eklutna. Any good rides, especially in the Eagle River area?

Thanks -Tick
    Grats on the new Ranger.

Tires are usually the first upgrade people get. The stock tires are fine until you find mud.

Winch is almost a requirement. A stock ranger weighs 1200lbs.

Third on my list was A-arm guards. Front and rear.
    http://www.sidebysidesports.com/trar09raacvf.html

I do carry a spare tranny belt and tools to change it out. If it fries on your trip you are stuck. No way to field fab a replacement.

Wanted to keep rifles in the cab with me so went with the Big Sky dual rack. Works like a champ. No drilling ( i used hose clamps to secure it to roll bar)
    http://www.bigskyracks.com/nonlocking.html

The service manual can be downloaded as a pdf.
    http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing..../ranger+xp/0/1

Purchased insurance via Progressive. $230 for a year. Covers theft, accidents, liability, un-insured. Well worth it.

If Mr. Trooper sees you driving around with a beer in hand you will receive a full blown DUI if you are impaired. Just a heads up.

Last but not least you can get lost in this website. LOTS of information and great group of folks that like to help and answer questions about Rangers. Be sure to register to see the full website.
    http://www.prcforum.com/

Have fun and be safe.

Welcome! I'm guessing 4x but you didn't say. Gotta love the sidexsides. And better tires are a necessity most places in AK. Look at snorkeling the belt and engine intakes too. Never know when it might happen

Default Visit mat-su offices

Goto the mat-su burrough offices in palmer. Head to their recreation office and ask for the trail plan book from 2000. it is old but they have every trail in the matsu valley in great detail as well as topo maps. this book is free. you can ask for the newer version which will run you $10 but they are currently sold out. This is a must have for any rider in the matsu valley. Very freindly people and pro-atv.

The local Polaris shop here in Eagle River has a big sign behind the desk that says "Installation of oversize wheels and tires will void factory warranty" so I'll probably wait the six months till my warranty runs out before I add 'em. (Or atleast keep the stock ones around in case.) Any recommendations for tires that do well in Alaska. I've seen a lot of folks running stuff similar to the ITP Mudlites.

Junkak - How did you mount that rack? Did you do it overhead or behind the cage? Any pics? I went ahead and ordered those A-arm guards, good idea.

4x4, yep. I don't even see that point in a 2x, even for farm work.

They make a 2x? Actually I was wondering if you got the 6x. Guess not

Quote Originally Posted by Tick View Post
    Junkak - How did you mount that rack? Did you do it overhead or behind the cage? Any pics? I went ahead and ordered those A-arm guards, good idea.
    That gun rack is telescoping.. just find the right length and set the set screws. The ends adjust perfectly to lay flat on your roll bar overhead. Toss on a couple hose clamps (or drill into your rollbar).

Still have plenty of room between my head and the top of the cab. No rattling and both my .300 and shotgun ride like they are welded to the bar.

Tick,
    What are the breather lines for on the diffs? Is there an opening there that needs to be protected?

as the gears and oil heat up / cool down with use, pressure would build up inside if there were no breather valves to let a bit of air in/out. it is typically a small rubber house in an upside down J-shape.

if driving in submerged conditions for very long these breathers can allow water to enter the diffs, so the snorkel tubes allowed you to submerge the diffs. while keeping the water out but letting air in/out/

this is not a huge concern for general trail use but is an easy mod. and doesn't hurt.

If you snorkel anything on a rig, everything should be snorkeled. Trans, diffs, belt housing intake & exhaust, air intake, fuel tank, carb vents, etc... Some manufacturers have a cool little sealed bellows in place of a hose. Of course it may be susceptible to getting ripped off.

Are the diff breather lines available at Polaris dealers or do I need to go elsewhere for them?

Just find some black rubber hose that is the right size and run them up high. I used black fuel hose but a bit overkill for a breather. Tough stuff though.

Just go down to Lowes and pick up some 1/4 inch clear plastic tube, zipties, and some barb fittings. I pushed to barb fitting into the existing tube, connected the 1/4 inch tubing and route it up to the top of the roll cage. I made sure to have a small fuel filter somewhere along the line and a rain loop at the top. Then I zip-tied everything down so it won't get torn off. There's three existing lines already on the ranger, one in the front, two in the back. I used a T fitting in the back so that the two in the back connect into one, then up to the top of the roll cage.

How did you go about snorkeling your Ranger? Most of the kits I've seen online are just backyard engineering PVC and flex fittings, which I can pretty well do myself.