Thread: yum yum brown bear!

Default yum yum brown bear!

I know this has come up before but after my recent experience i had to bring it up again. last Saturday i popped a young brownie (about 6.5ft sq). I wasn't looking for a monster just something to throw over the back of a couch and the kids can roll around on. well this bear had no smell to it at all, neither the meat or the hide. we decided to try a chunk of the backstrap expecting it to be similar to black bear. I was some of the most mild game I have ever eaten. If I were to compare it to another game I would have to say early season blacktail. we even had two kids, 10 and 12, with us and they were very picky eaters and they devoured it. I harvested the rest of the backstraps and the two hind quarters. I suspect the prime meat has a lot to do with that this was a young bear and it most likely just poked its head out of his den. So next time you skin out a brownie give that meat a smell test and if itís not bad fry up a little, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Agreed! Even done into a breakfast sausage I can still taste the difference in flavor of the grizzly meat from other game meat. Mmm, mm good!

Great to hear, mallardman! I was unsuccessful last weekend, but if I manage to find a grizz this spring I will certainly be bringing home meat along with the hide.

Thats the only reason I hunt them, and that in the Spring, as the taste is wonderfull.

Glad you enjoy!! Yes, it IS Good!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Where did you take the bear?

I really like grizzly meat. I shot one late last August north of the Brooks Range and made roasts out of the large cuts and the rest was turned into hot links. Very tasty.

Baronof Is. in southeast.

I have an older (1957 or so) Alaska game cookbook. There are no recipes for black bear but there is a number of recipes for grizzly. I took an interior grizzly last fall up high, a blue berry eating bear and took the backstraps. They were fantastic, better that black bear.