THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A few more pictures:

Will be starting load work soon
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice looking rifle BT. It should be a good shooter. I like the octaganol barrel. You should get a little more barrel life from it than a 6.5-300 Wby

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Very nice looking rifle BT. It should be a good shooter. I like the octaganol barrel. You should get a little more barrel life from it than a 6.5-300 Wby
    Yes Montana, I believe my rifle barrel will last just a little longer than the 6.5/300Wby
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

VERY nice bt...I love the octagon barrel

I am sure with your load development abilities we will see some itty bitty groups real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes Montana, I believe my rifle barrel will last just a little longer than the 6.5/300Wby
    Yeah, but ya gotta admit, the 6.5-300 Wby would have been pretty cool and very zippy. The only thing is, after load development, you would have to put it back in the safe.

Did you consider a 6.5 Norma in the short action?

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    VERY nice bt...I love the octagon barrel

I am sure with your load development abilities we will see some itty bitty groups real soon.
    Let us hope that will be the case I certainly will try my best
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Yeah, but ya gotta admit, the 6.5-300 Wby would have been pretty cool and very zippy. The only thing is, after load development, you would have to put it back in the safe.

Did you consider a 6.5 Norma in the short action?
    No, I did not consder the 6.5 Norma. Once I decided not to build the 6.5/300Wby I decided if I did build a 6.5mm rifle, it would be for my spot and stalk hunting style and it would be a 260 Rem.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What an awesome rifle. It makes me want to sell something. You must be happier than a clam at high tide.

Quote Originally Posted by islander338 View Post
    What an awesome rifle. It makes me want to sell something. You must be happier than a clam at high tide.
    Not sure how happy that is but I hope the clam is as happy at high tide as I am with this new rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Cuter than a bugs ear! You can pack that rascal around all day and narry get tired! Whats it weigh?

Sweeter than sweet! It makes my 257 Roberts carry gun look downright dowdy!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Cuter than a bugs ear! You can pack that rascal around all day and narry get tired! Whats it weigh?
    With scope 7 5/8 pounds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sweeter than sweet! It makes my 257 Roberts carry gun look downright dowdy!
    Pretty cool little rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sweet! Sweet!! Sweet!!! Looks like the perfect little rifle for Blacktails,Sheep,Pronghorns etc. I own a 6.5x55 and a 7mm/08. Have often considered a .260

Thanks again guys. I forgot to mention that the barrel is free-floated.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Weighed my 260 on a digital scale and with the scope it weighs exactly 7 pounds 6 oz.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, on the way to work shot a few rounds sent with the rifle. My die set has not come in yet. Velocities were almost 270Win velocities with a 130gr bullet. Not shabby. I need to get use to the trigger but there is a lot of promise in this rife.

The holes are not touching!!!! I know it is a hunting rifle but I expect more. The ammo I received and it's extreme spread was unacceptable. I assume four things about these loads after shooting them across the chronograph and examining them with my eyes.

First, it is my belief after noticing the deviation and extreme spread that was so great that he did not carefully weigh each powder charge nor did he weigh his bullets and use those that were the same weight.

Second, the inside of the necks were not beveled nor was the outside edge of the neck rounded off and smoothed.

Third, the choice of primers with H4350 I have never liked and never had them really preform consistently when it came to the extreme spread.

Fourth, the OAL was not a real match to the rifle and it had to much variation between each round when I measured each rounds OAL.

Of course I could be all wet, been that before.

I believe I will use the 129gr Hornady SST BT since I have some with a few other bullets coming in and different powders along with H4350 and Fed 210M primers.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's very good velocity for a 260 Rem, especially out of a 22" barrel. I'm sure you'll gt the bugs worked out once you get your dies. What dies are you getting?

My old 77 in 270 has seen its better day but still kills things as far as I can hit them. The last time I shot it through a crony it did just over 2900 with a 130 grainer and a stiff load of 4831. The BC of the .264 gives it an edge in my opinion over a .277 diameter pill going the same speed!

There has never been a bad cartridge that had the 308 winny as the parent cartridge. In fact one could have a very nice rifle battery for hunting anything on this continent all of them being based on the 308. The 243 on the bottom end and the 358 on the top end and some very good ones in between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast