Thread: Laws and Regulations Pertaining to Bison

Default Laws and Regulations Pertaining to Bison

I am a student taking a farm management class and I wanted to know about legal issues related to owning and operating a bison hunting operation -
    regulations about animal care and handling, sale of the meat, laws about
    management of threatened species, laws regulating treatment of other
    wildlife on the farm, disposing of carcasses, etc. This might be out of your field, but if you could help me, that would be great.

Couple of questions. Were are u attending school. And are you with any animal rights groups.

your best bet would be to contact scott hollembeck in delta jct. who has a ranch with bison, and another good resource is Dr. milan shipka of UAF. He is a scientist but would likely point you in the right direction regarding your policy questions.

Nope, I like the way they taste too much. I actually go to a college that has a working farm and I am on the cattle crew. It is Warren Wilson College located in Swannanoa, Western North Carolina. I have a project that I am trying to get some insider information for.

The main law in our house is not to overcook it. Medium rare to medium is perfect for bison.

You might also consider looking up the Flying D Ranch in Montana. It is Ted Turners place, and he has a giant bison herd. I believe he does this so he can keep cattle off his acreage in Montana, but I'm not sure where I heard that.

Default State Department of AG

Erik.Johnson@alaska.gov
    Erik is a wealth of knowledge.

One rule I was told is the bison cannot be Alaskan Bison. THey have to be bought outta Canada/ lower 48.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks just wanted to kbow before gave ya any info. Got to bisonandelk.com. this Scott web site in Alaska l. He is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jgordon View Post
    Nope, I like the way they taste too much. I actually go to a college that has a working farm and I am on the cattle crew. It is Warren Wilson College located in Swannanoa, Western North Carolina. I have a project that I am trying to get some insider information for.