Thread: gps files & maps

Default gps files & maps

Does anyone one know if its possible to take a garmin file (gdb) & overlay it on a usgs map to print. Or better yet if it can be done on a full size map from the map store?

i suspect what you want is the full set of Alaska Topo maps on CD-rom put out by national geographic. Can get at REI, maybe the USGS map store, don't know where else.

you can import gps data and so much more. very useful. then you can print your own maps, or save the file and have them printed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Does anyone one know if its possible to take a garmin file (gdb) & overlay it on a usgs map to print. Or better yet if it can be done on a full size map from the map store?
    Yes you can do that.
    You just need the right software.
    You need to make a .jpg or something similar of the Garmin and USGS quad.
    Then you can use Photoshop or something similar, even AutoCad will do it.
    Make a separate layer for each, set the transparency so it looks good to you, then print it out.
    The size of the printed map is limited by your printer.
    If you create this on your computer you can burn to disc or thumb drive and take it to commercial printing outfit to get a larger print.
    A buddy of mine has a plotter and if I need something larger than 13x19 (that's my printers size limit) I have him print it out.
    Check with the commercial outfit to see what file types they can use.
    If you can make a .pdf, most can print those.
    Hope that helps.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    i suspect what you want is the full set of Alaska Topo maps on CD-rom put out by national geographic. Can get at REI, maybe the USGS map store, don't know where else.

you can import gps data and so much more. very useful. then you can print your own maps, or save the file and have them printed elsewhere.
    My understanding is the Nat Geo TOPO! Maps are only compatible for download to a Magellan. We have a set plus the Alaska Add-on and our set is only compatible for use with a Magellan. They're a few years old, so maybe that's changed.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The only way I know how is to take your garmin.. use this:
    http://www.expertgps.com/garmin.asp
    convert garmin data to shapefile.
    Import USGS map into Arcgis. (simple jpg should work)
    Georeference the map using appropriate coordinate system. (WGS 84 for NatGeo, Alaska projection)
    Import your new garmin shapefile. Overlay. Run any queries you want. Print your map.

You can do most of that with just the Nat Geo software, but its a little hinky and its got a learning curve.

My method is relatively time consuming, and the product will be less than stellar, but it will work.

Can do the same with a Google earth image. Or even do the whole thing in Autocad too.

Edit: Then again.. thinking about it. the expertgps software has all the usgs maps too. I think you might be able to do the whole thing right there with that software. I'll have to try it.

I'm wondering if I miss read your question.

I gotta ask, are you wanting your "tracks" & "waypoints" printed on a USGS topo????

If that's what you want, Nat Geo, MapTech, MyTopo and others will do that.

I took your question to mean, print the entire Garmin map on top of a USGS quad and have both show.

What I was hoping to do is take a gdb file which has a four tracks saved on them using Garmin topo 100k & basecamp & put them on a full size 1:63,000 quad map. So you are correct I want the full size quad with the tracks overlayed on it to see both.
    I will check with Kinkos & see if this is something they can do as I would think they have the print ability for something like this. The technical aspect is the problem.

OK.
    If you get a copy of Nat Geo, MapTech, or MyTopo these will do what you want.
    I use Maptech Pro. If I print on 13x19 paper (the largest my printer goes) and set the size to 80% I get the whole 7.5' quad on 13x19 paper.

You can download USAPhotomap for free and with it download from USGS website the Quads.
    Then it will let you add your tracks and waypoints. I haven't used it in awhile but it worked fine the times I used it.

Also OziExplorer is a good program to use. You can get trail versions to download.

And icb12 suggestion is a good one too.

Or you can send me your Garmin file and I'll print one (11x17) to see if it fits your needs.
    Find out what file types Kinkos can use. I might be able to convert something for you.

Most engineering or surveyor outfits have large color plotters. And will print for a fee.

Doug

Default AK ATV Club has apparently done something similar...

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    What I was hoping to do is take a gdb file which has a four tracks saved on them using Garmin topo 100k & basecamp & put them on a full size 1:63,000 quad map. So you are correct I want the full size quad with the tracks overlayed on it to see both.
    I will check with Kinkos & see if this is something they can do as I would think they have the print ability for something like this. The technical aspect is the problem.
    You could check with them:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=587303
    http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/index.php

Good luck.

I know this is off topic, but it is about GPS.
    I was in the store formerly Known as Sportsman Wharehouse here in Idaho.
    They had Nat Geo mapping software with a disc showing the game management units.
    Don't know if they offer the same for Alaska.
    Thought you GPS geeks on here might want to look into it.
    Doug