Thread: bowhunting for ducks...

Question bowhunting for ducks...

After eight years of shooting traditional archery I am looking for a new challenge. So I was hoping to try and kill some ducks this fall with a bow. Has anybody here done this? If so, could you recommend any practice exercises that my help me become a better shot on flying targets?

Thanks

If you haven't done aeriels have a partner throw a disk and get your timing down with that. As you progress a nerf football or similar will help with passing shots. I'd try setting up the deeks so they are either coming in straight on or you are behind them and hold off till they commit.

There should be some posts on the waterfowl forum about this. A guy spent his youth hunting the Hay Flats for bunnies and ducks and posted some photos over the years.

The biggest issue is getting the birds to commit close in and then having a blind set up that allows you to draw.

I have yet to meet anyone that hunted flying birds successfully with anything but a stick/recurve bow.

Practice with a tossed foam disk and flu flu arrows. Make sure the disk tosser is trained and practices the tossing several times before you start flinging. And keep in mind that landing ducks are still flying and not falling into the water so they are coming down much slower than your hand tossed targets. Unless they are spoonies then they are more than likely falling into your decoys. Sometimes on to you. Silly birds those spoonies.

You can rig a falling target on a pole that moves slower than a hand tossed target.

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll let you know how it goes come this fall.
    Also, can you recommend a place to that I could do some aerial target practice in the Eagle Rive/Anchorage area?

Thanks

BD

BD two hints

1) Your not shotgun hunting, jump hunting ducks with a bow is perfectly acceptable.
    2) Read your waterfowling/hunting regs! Some areas are open to us but closed to shotgunners!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Dude View Post
    After eight years of shooting traditional archery I am looking for a new challenge. So I was hoping to try and kill some ducks this fall with a bow. Has anybody here done this? If so, could you recommend any practice exercises that my help me become a better shot on flying targets?

Thanks
    Why not just shoot em in the water? Sure seems like it would be a lot easier!!

LuJon
    Jump hunting is shooting them on the water/sneaking up on them. Most shotgunners consider it out side the guidelines of fair chase. However I have yet to meet anyone who didn't agree that it is acceptable for a bow hunter. I'd say about 70% of the ducks I harvest are on the water, even with alot of practice wing shooting is a challenge!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I'd say about 70% of the ducks I harvest are on the water, even with a lot of practice wing shooting is a challenge!

The big question should be: Do they taste any different?

Pretty cool that you guys can harvest waterfowl with a stick and string.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Not a bit!

They are easier to eat without all that steel shot in them though.
    BHA Member

Their was a show on the outdoor channel this last summer about a shooting pheasant with a recurve bow. They did hit a couple but their was alot of misses.

Default Tred Barta

Tred Barta used to have a show on VS but had a spinal stroke last year and is now paralyzed.... but he shoots a longbow on his show and has shot pheasants, a banded greenhead, and a canadian honker with a stick and string and a lot of arrows. it was a good show, its to bad he got sick.

shooting a passing banded greenhead with a stick and string ranks up there with a marco polo in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    LuJon
    Jump hunting is shooting them on the water/sneaking up on them. Most shotgunners consider it out side the guidelines of fair chase. However I have yet to meet anyone who didn't agree that it is acceptable for a bow hunter. I'd say about 70% of the ducks I harvest are on the water, even with alot of practice wing shooting is a challenge!
    I have always heard "jump shooting" referring to stalking them on sloughs and such then shooting them when they flush. I have heard other terms for shooting them on the water like buswhacking etc.