Thread: Geese Hunting

Default Geese Hunting

Yaaaaaaa...........

Saddled up to scout out the Geese situation at my favorite lake. Took the wife and pitched a blind to see what would land, but with snow all over and not a Goose in sight , we just got fire wood and made ready because the conditions are holding at cold like 20 above, with snow coverd tundra smooth and hard. No water for any Geese anyway, ~~LOL!!~~

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

But we Endever'd to Perservere and with a total lack ogf Geese and such perfect days, we rode a bit for fur.
    Not having much gas we were limited to following a Wolf pack untill we were at 1/2 a tank and I mean FRESH tracks, but where do you decide between certaiun success and walking 40 miles to you tent.......
    Thousands of Caribou are passing by the area and the animlas that follow them, including Bears and Wolves, Wolverine and such.....evn watched a Lynx lope through a willow stand after Bunnies. Shot plenty of them as well, for trail food.

So we settled for a Bear.
    He was just too fat to pass up, and we spotted 'em from On High, where prepared to cut him off and I shot from above, as he ran away at seeing us on the hill crest above.

FMJs did the job, being as accurate as nessesarry and the bullet keyholing and disentagrating as it blew through his head. The top copper jacket was all that was recoverable, the rest passed through.

We came home or our daughter B-day (16!!) and to get more gas. Theres a few days left for fur and with more this time, Im onna get what I can and then settle in while the Geese arrive.

Gotta add, when we left early yeasterday, all packed and dressed to go, sure enough , 2 Specklebellies flew on by.......

Thought about you a couple weeks ago as we had lots of geese fly over the island heading your way. Was that a 458FMJ on the tiny interior griz

Default From geese to grizzly!

Great start to another year in the life of Stranger! Keep doing what you're doing and sharing your life with us urbanites on the road system. Jealous, really jealous! lol.

Question? Is that one of those Artic Oven tents everyone needs if they want to realy hunt Alaska

That was a Mosin Nagant in its M-39 version,Amigo, shooting Czek 147 grain steel core'd FMJ 7,62X54R, and I shot at about 150 yards.....and put two into em to be sure.

Fat and tasty.

Thats tarps on some poles with sheets for cammo a Bear skin mattress, on a sled I built to be used as a bed fo the two of us, US army cook stove and Caribou skins for a floor.........Better than an Arctic oven, everyone should have one, they hold heat, shed wind and you can stand up in 'em.~~LOL!!~~I gotta peel the poles, though ~~LOL!!~~

Good for Shee fishng too, when you need shade from the 20 hour sun......

Build those tents and market them, sell them for a couple hundred less than the arctic ovens, you'll make a fortune!

And yes, the geese are trickling in, honey and daughter saw 4 snowgeese yesterday, I haven't seen anything yet! Swans, speckles, ducks have all been spotted as well. Good luck on the fur patrol, I want to go.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Just what I need; More Geese!

Yee haw, we mosey out at the speed of an Arctic Cat tomarrow.
    Were all welded up, and nearly gassed, as now thats the last thing to do, just wait for them to open.

When Hunting , the weather, animals and the ride must be more ready than you are, so when you call it Quits, they take you home, happily.

Sometimes it just dosent work out, some times it does.

I need Sheefish....

stranger good luck on the geese and nice looking bear.

A few brant are showing up down this way and a few guys have gotten some, but you never see them unless it's blowing like hell.
    Now what ?

Default Goose hunting proper

Brought a bunch of Geese for the family gave away plenty to those who cant hunt.
    We were cutting , chopping and freezing them right now while we have the time. later the wife will jar them when we get home.

We did well enough, untill the wind came up to 25 mph, and shooting was not a "sure thing", so we quit wasteing shells and we scooted to town to drop off a load and get a load of boards and poles we had here in Kotz, that want to use this summer.
    Saw a couple more bears and a couple thousand Caribou, its just hard to see with a ground storm blowing loose snow for no visibility off the tundra
    might go find something to do.....its not supossed to die till this evening I just read, maby work on my ride......."The wait" 'cause weather rules......the wife went Sheefishing.

Sorry, no SD card slot on this computer.