Thread: Chamber Cleaning

Default Chamber Cleaning

I had finished cleaning my rifle barrel using a bore guide and noticed afterwards that it left the inside of the chamber wet with cleaning chemicals. The bore guide stops when it enters the throat of the chamber leaving a gap between the end of the bore guide and the actual barrel throat. In the case of CR-10 it says do not leave in the barrel so I didnt want to leave it in the chamber.

The problem is that it is pretty hard to get anything into a chamber to really clean it very well. The rifle is a 300WSM and what I ended up doing was spinning a new and dry 20 gauge bore mop inside the chamber.

Anyone out there have a better or different method?

Quote Originally Posted by 58D View Post
    I had finished cleaning my rifle barrel using a bore guide and noticed afterwards that it left the inside of the chamber wet with cleaning chemicals. The bore guide stops when it enters the throat of the chamber leaving a gap between the end of the bore guide and the actual barrel throat. In the case of CR-10 it says do not leave in the barrel so I didnt want to leave it in the chamber.

The problem is that it is pretty hard to get anything into a chamber to really clean it very well. The rifle is a 300WSM and what I ended up doing was spinning a new and dry 20 gauge bore mop inside the chamber.

Anyone out there have a better or different method?
    Mops, like you mention work fine on certain chambers. I keep some of the big swabs I get from Midway, I think they are called shooters swabs or something like that. They are absorbent and have a wire handle and you can swish them around the chamber and get in that groove where the barrel connects where solvents tend to accumulate.

You can also get Q tips with the long wooden handles for the detail work and hard to reach spots.

I just kind of experiment and see what works good for the size of chamber I am cleaning. One thing to keep in mind, even if it is just solvent or oil: If you don't get it out and you store the rifle vertical butt down, that will creep into your bolt and down into your trigger mechanism over time.

Thanks for the heads up Ozarks. I looked them up on midway and had never heard of them. I'm going to give them a try as they will certainly be cheaper than bore mops.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

What I usually do, is (without a bore guide) put a clean patch on the jag, and use it to wipe the chamber round and round, and then on into the barrel, and repeat until it's wiped good.

I sometimes use a bore mop of the right size for the chamber. I put it on the end of a handgun rod, and put a shootgun patch over the mop, and insert that into the chamber, turn over the shootgun patch and do it again. This keeps the bore mop clean.

Clean the chamber after you oil the barrel too. You don't want oil, in the chamber either.

Nother thing, you can do, is point the barrel down over something, or outside and give the chamber a shot or two of brake cleaner, letting it run out of the barrel.

Of course, then you gotta wipe that out, and oil the barrel, and wipe that out.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sinclairs has a chamber swab that I use all the time they take dental swabs that are secured by a screw. This does the best job I've ever used for cleaning a chamber after I remove the chamber/bore guide. Get a whole bag of cleaning guides and you will be good for a long time. I am big on clean chambers and bores.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson