Thread: AR-15 optic in the 1-4x range (possibly illuminated)

Default AR-15 optic in the 1-4x range (possibly illuminated)

So, if you were going to put a 1-4x scope on a rifle, and didn't want to spend over $250 what would you choose that's NOT a total POS?

Say, for example you wanted a good 0-200yd optic...for small Alaska game (similar to say an Arizona coyote) but offered 1x magnification as well.

IDEAS?

Here is what I am using Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm Ballistic Plex

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I don't know that they aren't a POS, but these are often thrown around when this is asked.
    Millet 1-4x
    Weaver V-3 1-3x

A bit higher (~$300) would be:
    Nikon Monarch 1-4
    Leopold VX-II 1-4

Do a google search on any of these names and you will find many, many, many threads asking nearly the same question with many owners responding on AR15.com, Brian Enos forum, Snipershide, and more.

I ordered a Redfield 2-7x (for $140) from GNG but haven't gotten it in yet, and it isn't 1-4x, so that doesn't count.

Some good suggestions folks, and nice rig, Beartooth.

Thanks, folks.

I'm hearing good things about Primary Arms. ($119)
    http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?pr...5&categoryId=2

Thanks, and our pleasure
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm not too excited about the Weaver 1-3. Some time back I needed a scope just for load development on a semi auto. I bought a Weaver K6 and couldn't believe what a clear and sharp scope it was for the money. Based on that experience I bought a Weaver 1-3 for a slug gun. The 1-3 was a let down. It works, but not great.

Hey, I don't mean to be a jerk here, but for up to 200 yards, do yo really need optics? When I was in the Army, we shot open sights up to 600 meters accurate enough to kill a person with the peep sights standard on the A-2. I personally bought an EOtech for up close work with a M4, but never felt the need for more on an 0-300 meter platform. Just saying, save some bucks, and spend the rest on practice bullets.

Default My choice...

For what it's worth, I mounted an old, El Paso Weaver K 2.5 with heavy post on one of my heavy barreled carbines, on the other carbine, $169.00 got one of the Bushnell Red Dot scopes, ( sorta looks like one of the 'big name' military type red dots) and it's held up just fine for the boys pounding around the lava beds and sagebrush for jackrabbits and rock chucks. On the 24" barreled varminter, I put a 30mm Burris Black Diamond 4-16 mil dot.
    On the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, I put a Leupold M8-4X. So far all have been entirely serviceable, the recoil hasn't pounded their guts out, and the kids haven't hurt 'em....

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Hey, I don't mean to be a jerk here, but for up to 200 yards, do yo really need optics? When I was in the Army, we shot open sights up to 600 meters accurate enough to kill a person with the peep sights standard on the A-2. I personally bought an EOtech for up close work with a M4, but never felt the need for more on an 0-300 meter platform. Just saying, save some bucks, and spend the rest on practice bullets.
    Probably not, and I do already have a RedDot for it, but I was hoping to get something that would give me RedDot type abilities (at 1x) and would also give me some magnification out to maybe 4x. I've heard some good things about the Primary Arms I linked to above (for $119), and I'm also hearing good things about the Millet for a hundred bucks more ($214):
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=186660

Default 1-4 x Optic

The Millett, 1-4x Illuminated 30 mm works great! I have one on my MSAR, and will probably pick up another. It uses batteries, but also works without. I think Midway has them on sale in their May flyer.
    Cheers!

Thanks, Zim. Yeah, I think I've made up my mind to spend the extra hundred and go with the Millett. I really like the illuminated reticle/circle/dot...and I've read lots of good reviews. I'm showing $214 at Midway. Looks like the way to go. How do you like the 1x "red dot" type use of the Millett?...At 1x does it seem the same as a standard RedDot type sight? Or is it much less field of view than a standard RedDot?

Default 2 X 7 Redfield

I understand Redfield is selling a 2x7 one inch tube 33 M/M objective for around 130.00 bucks. Good optics generous eye relieve and marketed and sold by Leupold. They have been getting good reviews. Just a thought.

North, I will look into that.
    I used to have an OLD Redfield I liked a lot (back in the day).

Other than that I'm looking at the Primary Arms or the Billett...(so far).
    Hard to justify a $500-1000 scope to try out this 1-4x idea...so I'm leaning toward something less expensive, but still not a POS.

Also considering looking at shotgun (or perhaps even nice small pistol) scopes in that price range. I have to see how the eye-relief will work. I'm NOT a "nose-to-charging-handle" AR shooter...so maybe.

I'll take a trip to Cabella's today to compare selections.

Default Millett 1-4x

"How do you like the 1x "red dot" type use of the Millett?...At 1x does it seem the same as a standard RedDot type sight? Or is it much less field of view than a standard RedDot?"

AZ Guide,

I don't have a std. red dot for comparison, but I do have a Bushnell holosight, and a Trophy version of the holosight, and the FOV seems comparable to those. I prefer the brightness of the Millett. Probably due to the fact that it is 30mm.

It may not be up to the quality of the Trijicon ACOG, but neither is the price. I also have a Trijicon 1.25-4x on another rifle, and at low power settings on both scopes, I prefer the sight picture of the Millett. Just my opinion though...

Good luck,
    Dave

Dave, MUCH appreciated. I think you have made up my mind for me.

I need a Millett AND a Redfield. (since I also need one for the .22 anyway!)