Thread: Esquiff Cargo Royalex Square sterned canoes....one of the best

Default Esquiff Cargo Royalex Square sterned canoes....one of the best

A forum member on here by the name of Grit has one of these gems. It weighs 95 lbs, has a whopping 44 inch beam, and a 16 inch depth, and is avail. in Whitehorse. It has an all ash yoke, thwarts, and FOUR seats! Here's the flagship of this canoe.......It's made of Royalex. If I could compare this canoe to my 17 ft. discovery sports they would be extremely similiar....BUT the Esquiff is definitely a cut above, and the old town 17 footer is no longer made. The esquiff would be a top choice sport boat for Everything Alaska (moose, bou, fishing, bear, yukon trips) if your travels have you portaging or lining, or running accross abrasive river beds. I still can't get over the craftmanship of these boats! You could get up some real skinny water with a square stern like the Cargo.....and have plenty of boat to haul a moose. Instead of paying 1200 for a used grumman.....I'd travel any day of the week for a Royalex canoe in Whitehorse.

http://www.esquif.com/2008/canot_en.php?id=22

grit's pic pretty much speaks for itself......

look at those nice seats....and four of em at that......

Question Esquiff vs. Scott ?

Mainer,

Beautiful craft for sure. So that boat is 5% smaller (in length and width both) than my Albany, and is one half the weight. And its rated for an outboard one third the size my Albany is. I couldn't see the load capacity of the esquiff.

How does it gain this huge weight advantage? Do you know pros/cons between these two? Why is the esquiff not rated for a larger motor?

I love my Albany, so this is just curiosity, I'm not looking to change.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Mainer,

Beautiful craft for sure. So that boat is 5% smaller (in length and width both) than my Albany, and is one half the weight. And its rated for an outboard one third the size my Albany is. I couldn't see the load capacity of the esquiff.

How does it gain this huge weight advantage? Do you know pros/cons between these two? Why is the esquiff not rated for a larger motor?

I love my Albany, so this is just curiosity, I'm not looking to change.

Hello there Stevey,
    It's the royalex that It's constructed with. which is even lighter (and stronger) than the 125 lbs crosslink3 layup that my canoes are made of. My canoe was rated for a 5 hp., but as you know....I run a 9.8 tohatsu. This canoe has two more inches beam.....it would hanlde a 9.9 just fine. I'd imagine the load capacity would be in the 1500lbs range.....maybe even a little more. That royalex is the prefered material of whitewater canoes....and professional tripping canoes. These Esquiffs far exceed the quality of Old Towns and would be worth a trip to whitehorse any day of the week......not to mention you could throw one of these cargos right on top of your vehicle....woudnt even need a trailer....would be a quick and easy trip I'm actually thinking of selling both of my discovery sport 17's and going to pick one of these up.......

Heck of a drive to pick up a canoe. Why not just have the dealer in Fairbanks order one for you? Or maybe two, since I may be interested as well if the price is right.

Canoe seems to be a square stern version of the Old Town Tripper. Any idea how many seats come standard? It shows 4 on the web page but also lists them as options.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Heck of a drive to pick up a canoe. Why not just have the dealer in Fairbanks order one for you? Or maybe two, since I may be interested as well if the price is right.

Canoe seems to be a square stern version of the Old Town Tripper. Any idea how many seats come standard? It shows 4 on the web page but also lists them as options.
    the only esquiff dealer close by is in whitehorse.....they have two in stock. wouldnt be too bad of a drive for those who frequent whitehorse to party it up and say hello to freinds. I know if I made the trip.......I'd spend the night and have a blast....Whitehorse folk are a riot The esquiff cargo is not at all like an old town tripper......completely different.
    Like said before.....I have two square sterned old town 17 footers (which arent even made anymore) and even those arent similiar in both materials, and dimensions.

Their web site shows a dealer in Fairbanks:
    Fairbanks

Paddler's Cove Outfitters

Fairbanks, 99708
    Tél. : (907) 457-2453
    larry@2paddle1.com
    http://www.2paddle1.com

Did this dealership close it's doors or quit handling the Esquiff line?
    Tennessee

The esquif is very high quality,I've dragged it over many beaver dams and rocks, it has a few scares but looks great.I run a 4hp 4 stroke but it really needs a 6hp-8hp. it has some flex on the bottom when its run at wide open speeds but for smaller rivers and lakes it is a great craft.I've had 2 adults and a 8yr old in it and about 500lbs of gear and had no trouble.It is wet in the waves with no splash rails though.Cost is right in the $2000 canadian range

One thing not mentioned about the Esquif that puts it at the top of the class as a small/useful square stern is the absence of a keel. I remember two years ago coming down Little Lake Louise Creek when I went to navigate 4 passengers and myself by paddle. The keel really affected my Old Town Canoe's ability to quickly manuever around low hanging trees. At one point......we were at a diagonal to the current trying to get around a sharp bend in the creek......the keel caught a shallow gravel bed and almost flipped the canoe.....it was a very unsettling feeling. The absence of a keel, and the presence of some rocker would allow much safer manuevering down a fast, shallow creek. The Esquif Cargo is what I believe to be the finest square stern 17 footer ever made. Esquif has actually "bedazzled" the canoe industry with their newer/lighter weight Twin-Tex laminate that is lighter and stiffer than Royalex, but just as touch as royalex. It is used in their Minstral 17.5 ft. tripping canoe and although much larger than my Older Penobscot canoe, it is 4lbs lighter. Old Town canoes practically run through the blood of Maine folk, but I think I've finally found a brand of canoe that I like much better. Esquif canoes need a better "lookin at".......that's for sure. In a few short days, my line up of three (Maine built) Old Town Canoes will no longer exist.........I'm goin Canadian.

Default Eh-skif

Wonder if anyone could talk them iinto a 19-20 footer. That looks like a good canoe for sure.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    Wonder if anyone could talk them iinto a 19-20 footer. That looks like a good canoe for sure.
    "eh-skif" have heard from me, and Grit regarding this proposition. If they did something crazy like that though.......they'd really take a chunk of the canadian/alaskan sport canoe market.....that's for sure.

RMK

Default Esquif

They are nice canoes. REI in Anchorage sells Esquif, but I believe they only carry the Avalon. I like the Avalon but it's not a freighter. It's more of a weekend tripper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I meet monday with the REI manager to see if they will be willing to do a special order from esquif. I did get a first hand look at the avalon today and I must say......those trussed seat hangers have got to bet the strongest in the industy, absoulutely bombproof. These esquif folk mean business......that's for sure.

Default esquif

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I meet monday with the REI manager to see if they will be willing to do a special order from esquif.
    That's great news.

You must be hearing tomorrow that is can happen as you want, or they wouldn't be meeting you, and more expensive than you now know or the salesguy would have told you that already.

Hey, get' a good amount of the purchase price back from them by painting one bow with their logo/stuff and you send them pictures of this remote "signboard" in a lot of really remote places, in return for eventually, your entire craft (and then one for me)

I'd like to try yours before I make a switch from Scott to esquif though, & put'm to the test good too; there's very little I carp about when it comes to my Scott canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's great news.

You must be hearing tomorrow that is can happen as you want, or they wouldn't be meeting you, and more expensive than you now know or the salesguy would have told you that already.

Hey, get' a good amount of the purchase price back from them by painting one bow with their logo/stuff and you send them pictures of this remote "signboard" in a lot of really remote places, in return for eventually, your entire craft (and then one for me)

I'd like to try yours before I make a switch from Scott to esquif though, & put'm to the test good too; there's very little I carp about when it comes to my Scott canoe.

there sure isnt nothing to carp about regarding your Albany, they are darn near the perect moose, bou, n bear huntin rigs for today's gas prices. effectively bringing you to remote locations and skinny water. a proper lining set-up will allow you to move a very large amount of weight up shallows with just your bare hands. lining is kind of "theraputic" too btw........

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I meet monday with the REI manager to see if they will be willing to do a special order from esquif. I did get a first hand look at the avalon today and I must say......those trussed seat hangers have got to bet the strongest in the industy, absoulutely bombproof. These esquif folk mean business......that's for sure.

Keep us posted, I would be willing to order one if they will special order them with a good price.
    Tennessee