Thread: "Free" Camping/Pull Outs

Default "Free" Camping/Pull Outs

Anyone have favorite places that they park and camp that are not a parks or offer facilities (gravel pit, off the road pull outs)? Not looking for tent spots, but rather big enouhg for a travel trailer. Just get tired "managed" camping all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsFish2 View Post
    Anyone have favorite places that they park and camp that are not a parks or offer facilities (gravel pit, off the road pull outs)? Not looking for tent spots, but rather big enouhg for a travel trailer. Just get tired "managed" camping all the time.
    When I'm driving to South Central from Canada every fall I stay in a gravel pit roughly 50 miles NE of Glennallen. It's not much for scenery in there but the view when you pull back out to the highway in the morning is pretty sweet.

There are loots of spots off the shoulders near sheep mountain as well.
    There are huge gravel parkinglots to park your rig. Pretty crowded during the caribou hunt though. There is still lots of room available even during the peak periods. The scenery is first class as well.
    I think this is one of my pictures from that area.

Default Thanks

Always looking for new areas that aren't "managed" camping, or a last minute option when all campgrounds are full. These are great places. I have some down south, but not many north.

I've spent at least a couple hundred nights sleeping in the back of my truck (or the front, with the heater going, in winter) in about 12 different states; sooner or later, someone will come knocking on your window. Usually they're nice, but one ranger in Glacier National Park I thought was going to shoot me. Some spots I've camped in up here are the turnout on the Tok Cutoff just north of Gakona; the Pioneer Peak trailhead; the Chulitna River overlook on the Parks Highway; the Teslin Wildlife Refuge parking lot; on the side of the road just inside the Denali Park entrance; side of the road outside the Exit Glacier Park entrance. These all only really work in the off season.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

North side of the Big Su bridge is a great spot. About mile 105 on the Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    North side of the Big Su bridge is a great spot. About mile 105 on the Parks.
    that's a good spot, busy on weekends.
    I don't camp usually in developed parks, not a big fan of them. I've found a few favorites, around MP 184 Parks Hwy, near Hollywood Ck, Denali Hwy of course(LOTS of hidden places to camp, but you cannot get a trailer there (truck camper or tent only), Steese Hwy (there's a few campgrounds up in the hills), a few places out Glenn highway. Any place with a bunch of RV's, hookup's and bunch of people, I stay away from.

Many of the pull-outs on the Hope Road overlook Turnagain Arm or Six Mile Creek. There is also a Gravel Pit at mile 9.2 of the Hope Road.

We camp every weekend, last year we stayed once in a paid park & that was Eklutna. But after buying our 4 wheelers we camp where we can ride. The Knik River on the Old Glenn is big enough for anything & though I'd heard it was a giant party/shooting spot in years past, we'd never had an issue. Then there are also numerous places up the Glenn past Palmer. Kings River is right along the river, further up there's Alascom Road (near mile 119 right hand side Glenn Hwy), it's a long gravel road that has a somewhat gravel area to camp in, then further up about mile 130 of the Glenn, just past Eureka Lodge is a giant gravel area that if you get there before all the others you'll have a place to camp.
    There's so many more out there, keep your eyes open as you're driving somewhere & if you see a camper then you know it's probably one of the places you can camp.
    2010-06-17 Eureka (94).jpgKing's River.jpg